Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 can't be detected/powered on TB1/2 Mac

Notifications
Clear all

Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 can't be detected/powered on TB1/2 Mac  

RSS

wqdeng
(@wqdeng)

I followed instruction to install purge-wrangler.sh and enable legacy AMD GPU on both 2013 Mac Pro and 2012 Mac mini. I have two eGPUs. One is Node Pro with AMD Vega 64 and another one is Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580. Node Pro works perfectly on both Macs. Just plug and play. However Gaming Box RX580 had trouble to be detected. It worked once on both mac pro and mini. But then it can't be detected anymore no matter how I did, power reset, reboot mac, etc. I thought Gaming Box might be defective. But it works perfect with my Huawei Matebook Pro laptop which has a TB3 port on windows 10. I don't have a TB3 Mac to test Gaming Box.

Did anyone have similar issue before?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Which macOS version are you running? The RX 580 Gaming Box has native macOS support since 10.13.4 so you don't need to enable legacy AMD GPU. Through Purge-Wrangler enabling older Thunderbolt support on your 2013 Mac Pro and 2012 Mac mini should be good.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
wqdeng
(@wqdeng)

Thanks for your reminding! Originally I thought just enabling all to cover every situation. Looks like this is not the case. After I rollbacked all settings and only enabled TB1/2 support. Now it works perfectly!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote