Good AMD GPU for MacBook Pro 16 in Sonnet Breakaway 550w for use in MacoS AND bo...

Notifications
Clear all

Good AMD GPU for MacBook Pro 16 in Sonnet Breakaway 550w for use in MacoS AND bootcamp  

RSS

Nicholas Hooper
(@nicholas_hooper)

Hey,

I just purchased a Sonnet Breakaway 550w for my MacBook Pro 16, and I am looking for a good compatible card that will work in BOTH MacOS and Bootcamp.

I was looking at the 5700XT as I have a 1440p 144Mhz monitor, and whilst I am sure it will work in MacOS, I am not sure how well it will work in Bootcamp?

If I wanted to save some money, is there a better value for money card than the 5700XT considering I don't play AAA games often?

Many thanks for your help. I dabbled in EGPUs 2 years ago with Nvidia cards, and I was forever having problems, so trying again with AMD now and appreciate any help I can get.

This topic was modified 3 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
AdmiralDino235
(@admiraldino235)

I am a Mac OS user and was wondering what graphics options I have. I currently am looking at an RX580 but would rather have the 5500 or 5500xt. If anyone could help that would be great. Also, how well will they work on a fully specced 2020 Macbook Pro 13 on Mac OS as well as Boot Camp.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@admiraldino235, @nicholas_hooper

All of those cards, and the RX 5600XT, will be plug and play on Mac OS Catalina and Big Sur.

Here's an overview from Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544  

Below are Basemark GPU benchmark scores for AMD cards in Mac OS: (The RX 5500XT generally performs similar to the RX 580)

635D0BDC B1F3 42CB ACF4 BBE388601203

Using Windows 10 version 2004 in Bootcamp requires getting your hands dirty with extra work.

When you set up an AMD card based eGPU in Windows you need to get around the default way Windows allocates resources to connected devices. 

(Spoiler: Don’t bother if all you really want to do is play COD Warzone. LOL)

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
DaveBurbank
(@daveburbank)

@admiraldino235, I'm using a Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING OC Graphics Card inside a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box with 650W Power Supply and I'm very happy. I use this on a Late 2018 Mac Mini and also a 2018 MacBook Pro i9, both running Catalina.

Dave Burbank

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
macOS 10.15.6 (19G2021)
2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box with 650W Power Supply
Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB

ReplyQuote
AdmiralDino235
(@admiraldino235)

Thanks everyone. 5600 and above is a bit too expensive for me but I'll consider it but I'll look at it.

ReplyQuote
insanitypeppers
(@insanitypeppers)

I have the Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 and a am planning to order a GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5500 XT OC 8G Graphics Card, PCIe 4.0, 8GB 128-Bit GDDR6, GV-R55XTOC-8GD Video Card. I see that this card is compatible, but with an asterisk. What it says is that "Radeon 5500 and 5600 models may not identify correctly in macOS." I have searched the web for answers to the below questions and have received lukewarm answers; which I've also highlighted. I was originally going to go for a 5700XT however people told me that it would be overkill. I am currently using an LG Ultrafine 5K display connected via USB-C.

Questions:

1. Does this apply to the 5500 and the 5500XT? (What I found was there is no clear answer here, I suspect only the 5500 series has issues and not the 5500XT, would be good if someone else could confirm).

2. My primary use is simply to accelerate my system for things like Blender, iMovie, 4K YouTube and a few other things.

3. For the LG Ultrafine 5K display, I understand I will have to use a DisplayPort 1.4 to USB-C adaptor. Will that cause me any issues? (No clear answer on this over the internet).

Attached are my system specs. Thanks and any input is helpful.

Mac mini 2018 (macOS 10.15.6)

3.2 Ghz 6-Core Intel Core i7

64GB DDR4 2667 MHz RAM

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
Magistr AVSH
(@magistr_avsh)

Don't buy 5500XT 8GB - in macOS working VERY unstable (often crashes) if connect external monitor to enclosure. 

(maybe its only my issue) https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/macbook-pro-13-2016-macos-random-crashes-with-external-monitor/

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@insanitypeppers

I would get a 5700 XT for faster renderings using the Octane Render plug-in for Blender on Mac OS.

4k YouTube relies on CPU based decoding by the way. I don’t know how much iMovie uses a GPU. 

But for GPU rendering in Blender on Mac OS, a 5700XT paired with the Octane Render plug-in is fast. 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote