GT650M/GT750M MBP + Nvidia eGPU + 378.10.10.10.25.106 (not 387.xx) = eGPU accele...

Notifications
Clear all

GT650M/GT750M MBP + Nvidia eGPU + 378.10.10.10.25.106 (not 387.xx) = eGPU accelerated macOS apps (OpenGL, Metal)  

of  4
  RSS

LeoLeal
(@leoleal)
Eminent Member

@fr34k, @goalque. Came back to report my tests.

Unfortunately not ANY of the 387 drivers work for setup. Only 378...104 or older, but heck... older than that is just too bad

All 387 drivers give the same result... the classic black screen with apple logo stuck on internal screen (even with nothing attached) 😛

Anyway, 378...104 driver is new enough to give excellent performance, just wont have full Metal 2 support. I don't know Pascal cards will behave with the drivers I tested. That needs some testing too... but I dont have a Pascal Card.

Macbook Pro Late 2013 (dGPU GT 750m) + Akitio Thunder 2 + GTX 970

fr34k and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
simplekitten
(@simplekitten)
Eminent Member

Hi @LeoLeal, I have the same Macbook Pro Late 2013 as yours. Have you any luck with your egpu working on windows 10? I have a Aorus 1080 gaming box but couldn't get it working on windows.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
LeoLeal
(@leoleal)
Eminent Member

Posted by: simplekitten

Hi @LeoLeal, I have the same Macbook Pro Late 2013 as yours. Have you any luck with your egpu working on windows 10? I have a Aorus 1080 gaming box but couldn't get it working on windows.

I'm on WIndows 10 now playing some PUBG with my wife. Smile

ReplyQuote
simplekitten
(@simplekitten)
Eminent Member

Posted by: LeoLeal

@LeoLeal any chance guide me on the steps you took to get it working on windows 10? I've tried using DDU to remove the Geforce 750M, and refind to spoof a osx boot to get the igpu, then hot plugging the egpu during the window boot. but no luck on getting windows to detect my egpu. 

any help would really be appreciated!! thank you!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
LeoLeal
(@leoleal)
Eminent Member

@LeoLeal any chance guide me on the steps you took to get it working on windows 10? I've tried using DDU to remove the Geforce 750M, and refind to spoof a osx boot to get the igpu, then hot plugging the egpu during the window boot. but no luck on getting windows to detect my egpu. 

any help would really be appreciated!! thank you!

I didnt use refind nor anything like that. Just executed the step I described in my post. Dont disable dGPU. It will be useful for Windows as you can go to GEForce configuration and Dedicate dGPU to do Physx, while your eGPU will dedicate to rendering.

ReplyQuote
Charly4
(@charly4)
Eminent Member

@LeoLeal

Thank you so much for your discover I can tell that right know my eGPU is OpenCL/GL working again, so the problem with the dGPU´s look like are related to drivers.

In my case I used another method, webdriver.sh to change the default driver which is installed by fr34k script with 378.10.10.10.25.106  driver version.
First tried with
 fr34k script command (bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/learex/macOS-eGPU/master/macOS-eGPU.sh) --install --nvidiaDriver 387.10.10.10.25.106) which in my case is not working showing the error you can see in the next picture.

Captura de pantalla 2018 05 12 a las 16.00.09

Working:

- eGPU is detected

Captura de pantalla 2018 05 12 a las 16.32.26

- Disconnecting eGPU from system bar works fine, switch off the external display and move apps to internet screen, but if switch off the eGPU, close session or reboot system takes to kernel panic.

- Transparency glitches in some icons now are ok

Not Working:

- Hot-plug detects de eGPU but don't switch on the external display
- System go to sleep fine, and eGPU fans stop spinning but when wake up again internal screen keeps in black
- Automatic switch between graphic card option is not working

Some Benchmarks:

Captura de pantalla 2018 05 12 a las 16.19.20
Captura de pantalla 2018 05 12 a las 16.39.33
Heaven

Macbook PRO Retina 2012 15" (Intel HD 4000 + Nvidia Geforce GT 650M)
Akitio Thunder 2 + Nvidia 970 GTX

ReplyQuote
LeoLeal
(@leoleal)
Eminent Member

@charly4, that's because it starts with 378, not 387. That's why it didn't find a match.

Charly4 liked
ReplyQuote
Charly4
(@charly4)
Eminent Member

@charly4, that's because it starts with 378, not 387. That's why it didn't find a match.

😯
OMG... Thank you!!
jausjajsasjaus

Macbook PRO Retina 2012 15" (Intel HD 4000 + Nvidia Geforce GT 650M)
Akitio Thunder 2 + Nvidia 970 GTX

ReplyQuote
Ovi Stoia
(@ovi_stoia)

Hi there. I have a Macbook Pro 15'' TB2 Nvidia GeForce GT750M and an Aorus Gaming Box 1070. My OSx is High Sierra 10.13.4. I managed to install my eGPU using this script.

The only thing I had to do different was to connect the eGPU only after I see the Apple Logo. Otherwise I had a black screen and cannot see anything. Anyway. So I connected the egpu and when I open the system preferences I can see my eGPU. Also I did some render tests which I clearly set to do on eGPU and was working flawless... However all the apps are still running on my GT 750M. I don't know how to change from that GPU to use only the eGPU. I tried to disable my laptop monitor using SwitchResX, but the apps are still running on the discret GPU. Here is the benchmark which looks quite bad for me and you can see clearly that it's doing the benchmark on both GPUs which lead me to think that somehow I need to disable it : 

I really have no idea what should I do. I really think it may be the fact that I hotplug the eGPU after I turn on the machine, but I'm not sure how else should I do. Also I tried to disconnect the monitor from the Aorus Box and only connect it a bit time later, but still the same.

Thank you

ReplyQuote
anse
 anse
(@anse)

Thanks @LeoLeal! I followed your instruction and everything seems to be working(and very stable!). Heaven benchmark should be ~60 withVSync on 1080Ti, and as I remember it went up to 100 with VSync off.

Want to ask what FPS do you have it Rise of the Thomb Rider? Because it is basically no matter what settings(ultra low or ultra high) I set I get 12-20 FPS in the scene on the very beginning where you look at the frescoes  in the cave. If I set extremely low resolution, like 1024x768(or slightly more) fps goes up to 30. 

Previously I tried this game on Sierra setup and it was 60 at ultra highs, with ugly artefacts though, so I couldn't playing. Now picture is clear.

I use Mantiz Venus + non Retina Macbook Pro 15, mid2012 + Aorus 1080Ti.

Macbook Pro 15" 2018 + Mantiz Venus + NVIDIA 1080Ti + MacOS 10.14/Windows 10

ReplyQuote
 of  4