Setup & Software Discussions
[Guide] 100% Success Nvidia & Early 2015 13" MacBook Pro Retina

[Guide] 100% Success Nvidia & Early 2015 13" MacBook Pro Retina  

RSS

nelz
 nelz
(@nelz)

Been messing with this for a week or so and have found a reliable way to boot using an Nvidia card on a 13" MacBook Pro Retina from early 2015, which is known for having a lot of issues.

Here goes:

• Shut down MacBook & eGPU
  • Boot into Windows 10 & do not connect/power on eGPU
  • Shortly after boot completes, click Start, then Restart
  • Right after clicking restart, power on eGPU quickly but do not connect the Thunderbolt cable yet
  • Make sure to hold Option again whilst your MacBook reboots
  • On the boot menu, wait until the WiFi loading spinner stops, then boot into Windows
  • Connect Thunderbolt cable as soon as blue Windows logo appears, but before the loading spinner starts

These steps work 100% for me now.

TL;DR, shut down fully, boot into Windows, click Restart, power on eGPU, then connect Thunderbolt right at the Windows logo after reboot.

Hope this helps!

2016 MacBook 15" // Akitio Node // GTX1080 // Bootcamp via Clover

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

nelz, thank you for sharing this important finding.

As implementation guides get a good look over, and there is only 1 NVidia implementation for this Macbook  at https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/?table_filter ="2015 13-inch Macbook Nvidia " , did you want to submit an implementation guide to formalize the fix?

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

ReplyQuote
nelz
 nelz
(@nelz)

Done!

You can view it here.

2016 MacBook 15" // Akitio Node // GTX1080 // Bootcamp via Clover

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Thomas Cordon
(@thomas_cordon)

I also created an account just to say this.. This workaround  is the best man. Still works 100% in April 2019!!

This post was modified 4 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Thomas Cordon

I also created an account just to say this.. This workaround  is the best man. Still works 100% in April 2019!!

I have exact this macbook model (Early 13-inch 2015) and I have to say: Use an AMD card with it!

This "hotplug-at-the-exact-moment" is more than annoying. Furthermore sleep and hibernation won't work. With an AMD cards you don't get any trouble, can boot with the eGPU plugged in, everything works including sleep. Internal display will not be disabled. It's the only setup that works directly out of the box without any issues.

I have paired it with an RX570 and I will never go back.

This post was modified 4 months ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Thomas Cordon
(@thomas_cordon)

Thanks man, the nvidia GPU works on my bootcamp using this trick but only for a few min and then windows freezes randomly or when starting up a game. It has been hard to admit but nvidia on 2015 MacBook Pro is a fail.. I’m gonna go with AMD as you suggested, I might wait for the Navi GPU cards supposedly coming out in July 2019... I’m gonna sell my 1660 ti now.. Sad to let go but just can’t use it :/

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote