Notifications
Clear all

HDR out of AMD RX570. Possible?  

RSS

Roger Bolton
(@eskatonia)

I have a working setup 2017 macbook pro retina, High Sierra, 10.13.2, Aktio Node Chassis, Radeon RX570 PowerColor 4GB.  According to the specs this Radeon chipset supports HDR through DisplayPort 1.4 or HDMI 2.0 a/b.  Have experimented hooking the HDMI out of the eGPU rx570 into a 4K HDR Bravia with a confirmed working HDMI premium cable (Got a PS4Pro working HDR with it already as a control 🙂 .

The Bravia will indicate if it's getting a HDR or SDR input in the picture settings, plus I have several sample HDR files for playback which make it obvious if I'm getting a proper signal.   It looks to me like the macOS AMD drivers are not capable of outputting HDR even when connected to an eGPU with a compatible HDMI port.  Have also tried FCP X 10.4 with known rec2020 PQ HDR footage with project settings set to wide gamut / HDR PQ.  

I'm guessing this is all known and no possible way currently for HDR out of an eGPU on macOS, is that correct?

EDIT: The Bravia can also be forced to interpret the input as Rec2020 Wide Gamut HDR in either HLG or HDR10.  Tried all those options and none of them looks correct compared to native playback of HDR test files on the Bravia's own media player.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

@eskatonia, by any chance - were you able to confirm HDR playback on Windows 10?

There is a difference how HDR is handled between unprotected video content, games and protected video content.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Roger Bolton
(@eskatonia)

At the moment I don't have BootCamp on this system.  However I know the test files I am using are unprotected mp4 HEVC HDR10 files.  I got the test files from here under the Cablelabs section:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38853641?new_window

As mentioned if I copy these files directly to the Bravia with a USB or HD external they play correctly in HDR.

ReplyQuote
Roger Bolton
(@eskatonia)

Ok that cable labs site seems to be down.  Here is the test file on my own Dropbox:  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o18fw2820zeacnk/Wipe_HDRvsSDR.mp4?dl=0

ReplyQuote