Setup & Software Discussions
[Help] 2017 MBP Touch Bar + Razer X + OW...

[Help] 2017 MBP Touch Bar + Razer X + OWC TB3 Dock + Henge Dock issues  

RSS

jodysmith
(@jodysmith)
Dec 20, 2018 1:29 pm  

I have read through a few posts and seen where people allude to an issue with conflicts between dGPU/eGPU etc. My situation is I have a Henge dock, with an OWC 12-port TB3 dock plugged into 1 port, and my Razer X w/Vega 64 plugged into the other port.
Connected to the Razer is my Dell 4k (u2718q) via DP. 
Connected to the OWC TB3 dock are the monitor's inbuilt USB hub and USB speakers. 

The issue I'm having is two-fold. most of the time when I "dock" the computer, I hear the eGPU spin up but the display doesn't come on. After a while (5-10min) sometimes it will if I click the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard. The other issue is that when it does work, I can't get the system to properly undock the eGPU so I can take the laptop and go. I have yet to successfully undock the computer have just started powering it down. 

I have some suspicions as to what is going on but I do not understand the interworkings of TB as probably most of you do. I suspect there is a conflict with the two devices and the system isn't sure which "output" to use since both of the connected devices have display functions. 

I've looked through these forums and topics but have only found references to the dGPU/eGPU conflicts but I have no idea what to search for. I very much appreciate the help in advance. 

My primary function is video editing and rendering - no gaming, no windows - just MacOS, FCPX/Motion/Adobe Suite.
I have found the Vega 64 to be blazing fast in my normal work. FCPX and Motion exports are 2-3x faster even though Adobe seems to prefer CUDA, I have seen 2x renders and performance in CC apps. Pretty cool.

On a side note. I did use this site's buyers guide and articles in my decision process. So thanks all that have contributed to the guide.

2017 15" MacBook Pro 2.9Ghz i7, 16gb, rPro 560 4gb | Henge Vertical Dock | Razer X w/Sapphire Vega 64 | OWC 12-Port TB3 Dock (v2017)

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Dec 20, 2018 2:42 pm  

@jodysmith Welcome aboard! There are a couple of suggestions I have to diagnose the inconsistent eGPU-monitor behavior. The first and quickest test is to disconnect the monitor's USB-hub cable from the OWC TB3 dock. That way the monitor receives signal from one device source only when you dock the MBP. The second test is to leave the TB3 component as is with the Henge Dock removed. This allows you to observe whether the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 passthrough within the Henge Dock interferes.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
jodysmith
(@jodysmith)
Dec 21, 2018 1:35 pm  

Thanks theitsage,

I'll give that try. 

2017 15" MacBook Pro 2.9Ghz i7, 16gb, rPro 560 4gb | Henge Vertical Dock | Razer X w/Sapphire Vega 64 | OWC 12-Port TB3 Dock (v2017)

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Dec 21, 2018 4:55 pm  

Please let us know if you get to the bottom of it. I also have a side question about the Henge Dock for future reference. How well does its docking mechanism work? When I first saw the animation and given how little toleration there is in the USB-C port opening, I really worried the dock would chew up the ports in no time.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote