Setup & Software Discussions
Help! 5K only at 30Hz ? MacMini 2018, Sonnet Breakaway Box 650, Radeon RX Vega 6...

Help! 5K only at 30Hz ? MacMini 2018, Sonnet Breakaway Box 650, Radeon RX Vega 64, LG 34WK95U DisplayPort  

RSS

konzentrat
(@konzentrat)

So I got this setup:

MacMini 2018

Radeon RX Vega 64

Sonnet Breakaway Box 650

LG 34WK95U 34" 21:9 UltraWide 5K2K Display

Now the problem is that I can run the LG Display only at 30Hz somehow when connecting it with DisplayPort over the Vega 64! I use the original LG cable provided with the screen and the original TB3 cable provided by Sonnet.

When I use TB3 directly from the MacMini everything works fine, but the Performance of the Vega 64 isn't used properly when not connected to the display. I am running macOS 10.14.2. Display is set to DisplayPort 1.4

Anyone an idea what is going on?

UPDATE:

Okay, so it happens that I have this whole setup twice :). So I set up the complete exact same setup up today and with the 2nd setup everything works fine with 60Hz!

So I started to change every part of the setup. First I attached the screen from the 1st setup to the the MacMini from the second setup. And there it works with 60Hz!

I ended up checking every combination and found that the MacMini seems to be the problem here. But it is setup exactly the same like the 2nd setup except language is set to in English in the 1st setup and German in the 2nd setup....

I added the Image of the second setup to the original post.

Hmmm... very confusing.

1st setup:

Bildschirmfoto 2018 12 29 um 17.48.48

2nd setup:

Screenshot 2018 12 28 at 18.20.30

Mac mini (2018)
Sonnet Breakaway Box 650
Radeon RX Vega 64
LG 34WK95U 34" 21:9 UltraWide 5K2K Display

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Glad to see you get it working at full resolutions. Have you tested if the DisplayPort version on the monitor makes a difference? What about the DisplayPort cable?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
konzentrat
(@konzentrat)

Hi there,

yes I tried the DP Versions. I also switched the DP Cable with the other one which I know is working with the 2nd setup. This didn't help.

The screen works correctly with the second setup but not with the 1st...

This post was modified 8 months ago

Mac mini (2018)
Sonnet Breakaway Box 650
Radeon RX Vega 64

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member

The display connected to the Vega 64 should use DisplayPort 1.4.
The display connected to the Mac mini should be set to DisplayPort 1.2 (over Thunderbolt) or maybe this is not necessary if it's working already. Maybe the display needs to be power cycled - like disconnect everything, turn it on, then connect only the DisplayPort 1.4 cable before turning it on again.

Did you check the OS versions on each of the Mac Minis? Maybe there's a difference in the graphics drivers?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
konzentrat
(@konzentrat)

So after several attempts I finally managed to reset the SMC (or at least I think I did) and the Hz selection in the display settings wasn't greyed out anymore. So both setups run with 60Hz now.

There wasn't any feedback or restarting of the MacMini when I reset SMC. So I am not 100% sure I managed to and this is the solution. But something happend...

I wasn't able to boot into Target Disk Mode and reset the PRAM & VRAM because there was a Firmware Password set from the IT department and the reset isn't possible (since the new T2 Chip) without the password.

Mac mini (2018)
Sonnet Breakaway Box 650
Radeon RX Vega 64

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
BenSea123
(@bensea123)

Hi guys, first time poster - 

I own the same LG 5K2K display and have recently discovered bootcamp gaming over Thunderbolt 3 using my Macbook Pro 2018's internal AMD 560X. In medium settings and 50% resolution I've managed to get an average of 50fps in Destiny 2, which has made me think about converting to PC gaming over my PS4 Pro.

I'm now looking to get an eGPU (Vega 56 seems best value for money with the Razer Core X) to hopefully get Destiny 2 running at a solid 60fps in Ultra settings on the 5k2k display. 

As I'm sure you all know, Blackmagic have just released their 'eGPU Pro', which is essentially exactly what I need - a quiet case, the Vega 56, and crucially 2x USB-C Thunderbolt 3 ports to fully power the LG 5K display. The major negative here is the asking price of £1,119 in the UK - approximately double the cost of the Vega 56 and Core X, and no upgrade path so in a couple of years it will probably go in the trash. 

SO, this post was a real relief to read that I may be able to get the Core X working after-all, by using the Display Port out from the Vega. 

Can I confirm that this will work? Macbook Pro 2018 15 inch > Thunderbolt 3 > Core X Vega 56 > Display Port 1.4 > LG Ultrawide 5K2K monitor.

I'll get the full benefit of the eGPU on both my Macbook display and my LG display, in both Mac Mojave and Windows 10 Bootcamp? Are there any limitations, or advantages to the 2x Thunderbolt on the eGPU Pro? 

Shall I hold off buying in case anyone develops an eGPU case or Graphics card that will have 2x TB?

Many thanks for any help or guidance

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member

Posted by: BenSea123

Can I confirm that this will work? Macbook Pro 2018 15 inch > Thunderbolt 3 > Core X Vega 56 > Display Port 1.4 > LG Ultrawide 5K2K monitor.

I'll get the full benefit of the eGPU on both my Macbook display and my LG display, in both Mac Mojave and Windows 10 Bootcamp? Are there any limitations, or advantages to the 2x Thunderbolt on the eGPU Pro? 

Shall I hold off buying in case anyone develops an eGPU case or Graphics card that will have 2x TB?

Don't hold off buying because probably no-one else will make an eGPU like the BlackMagic anytime soon.

The 2x Thunderbolt allows powering USB-C and Thunderbolt displays from the GPU of the eGPU. If you have a display like the LG 34WK95U with DisplayPort 1.4 input then that advantage is not important.

Dual Link DisplayPort 1.2 SST over Thunderbolt has 33% more bandwidth than Single Link DisplayPort 1.4 (without DSC display stream compression) but this is not as important for a 5120x2160 21:9 display as it is for a 5120x2880 16:9 display. I don't know of computer displays that support DSC or if macOS or Windows supports DSC in their AMD or Nvidia drivers (Intel GPUs don't support DisplayPort 1.4).

The extra Thunderbolt port also allows daisy chaining additional Thunderbolt or USB devices (USB docks, USB 3.1 gen 2 devices, etc.) This is not important because your MacBook Pro 2018 has four Thunderbolt ports.

I would like to see a screenshot from SwitchResX of the timing information for the 5120x2160 60Hz resolution to prove that it's working properly in macOS. Or maybe a photo of the OSD (on-scren display) menu showing the resolution and refresh rate (if that exists).

itsage liked
ReplyQuote