Help! MacBook Pro late 2013 15", Akitio Node, GTX980 Ti not booting

Notifications
Clear all

Help! MacBook Pro late 2013 15", Akitio Node, GTX980 Ti not booting  

of  2
  RSS

benslocum
(@benslocum)

I have El Capitan 10.11.6 installed. Is there an older version of the script that you've successfully used with my OS and computer combo?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
benslocum
(@benslocum)

So good news... I tried letting the computer start booting, and then connect the thunderbolt cable as soon as I saw the white apple.  It finished booting up!  I then connected the displayport cable from the GTX980 Ti to my external monitor, and I got the display on!  So I guess I just have to do it that way every time?  I'll try this method a few more times (wait for the apple then plug in the TB cable) and then I'll try rebooting without disconnecting first.  Here's what I'm seeing now on the System Info.

Screenshot at Mar 04 21 09 18
Screenshot at Mar 04 21 09 46
Screenshot at Mar 04 21 10 02
Screenshot at Mar 04 21 11 00

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
johnshea
(@johnshea)

Sorry I didn't see this thread until now - yes, I had this exact same issue with my late-2013 rMBP15 with 750m, and the "delayed start" fix worked for me (after a year of experimenting lol). Boot the laptop with the eGPU disconnected, wait until POST/apple symbol, then connect the thunderbolt cable. We should sticky this thread for future builders who are working with a 750m MBP.

2011 11" MacBook Air [2nd,2C,M] + GTX 750 Ti @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
benslocum
(@benslocum)

Somehow it's reassuring to know that someone out there had the same issue and found the same solution. Smile The first time I had everything up and running the computer disconnected two USB drives that I had attached through a hub (then had the audacity to tell me to eject them properly next time!)  I'm hoping that's an isolated incident, but wanted to check with the community if there's a history a thunderbolt eGPU computer having trouble with connections on other interfaces. (USB, other thunderbolt devices, etc. )

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

For macs with dGPUs, run the ./automate-eGPU.sh with -a. This eliminates the need for delayed plugin. Booting into Bootcamp resets this, however, and the command needs to be run again to fix the POST issue.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
benslocum
(@benslocum)

thanks! That worked nicely. No more watching for the Apple to flip on the power or plug in the cable for me!

ReplyQuote
viv
 viv
(@viv)

Thank you for this thread. It was very useful to get me going. I am using the High Sierra (OS 10.13) on my 13 inch early 2015 Macbook Air, with the Akito Node eGPU ( https://www.amazon.com/Akitio-NODE-T3IA-AKTU-Node-Thunderbolt3-eGPU/dp/B06XKKSNTS). The graphics card I am using is the Nvidia Titan XP

I have followed all the steps as listed above by Enjoy and benslocum, and have replaced the last command with a ./automate-eGPU.sh with -a

The drivers download and my mac restarts (with the thunderbolt connected). But once it turns on, it does not seem to be recognizing the GPU as when I click on "About this Mac" it still shows Intel as the Graphics card. 

Is there a part that I might be missing, or anything else that needs to be done?

Thank you

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: viv

Thank you for this thread. It was very useful to get me going. I am using the High Sierra (OS 10.13) on my 13 inch early 2015 Macbook Air, with the Akito Node eGPU ( https://www.amazon.com/Akitio-NODE-T3IA-AKTU-Node-Thunderbolt3-eGPU/dp/B06XKKSNTS). The graphics card I am using is the Nvidia Titan XP

I have followed all the steps as listed above by Enjoy and benslocum, and have replaced the last command with a ./automate-eGPU.sh with -a

The drivers download and my mac restarts (with the thunderbolt connected). But once it turns on, it does not seem to be recognizing the GPU as when I click on "About this Mac" it still shows Intel as the Graphics card. 

Is there a part that I might be missing, or anything else that needs to be done?

Thank you

High Sierra does not support NVIDIA external graphics (though MVC/Rominator has discovered a workaround that has not been detailed to the world - yet). Also, don't use automate-eGPU.sh on 10.13 or later. It is meant for < 10.12.6 only.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
viv
 viv
(@viv)

Thank you, one more question. After installation using the above script on a Macbook pro (<10.12.6), how are you able to know if the GPU is, in fact, being used by the mac as the graphics "card"? Is there a terminal command, or another way to make sure that the GPU is being utilized?

ReplyQuote
 of  2