Notifications
Clear all

Help! Akitio Thunder2 + NVIDIA GT 1030/GTX 1050 TI  

of  2
  RSS

John_Petrucci
(@john_petrucci)
Eminent Member

Hello, I'm buy these components Akitio Thunder2 + NVIDIA GT 1030 to connecting to Mac Mini 2012.

The Geforce GT 1030 max watt 30 board, is possible to use with original adapter 12V 5A Akitio Thunder2??

The automateScript is compatible with new NVIDIA PASCAL GT 1030??

DAM203586737 0 16cce04a c9d6 47aa 902e 9f5a0cfbb9d5

Thank You!

Paolo

STAFF

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

The GT1030 should work off the default AKiTiO adapter, yup. That said, I am not sure you are not getting a better card. You're not saving all that much overall (since the Thunder2 costs 200$ at least), but gimping your performance. Get a GTX1050Ti instead, and replace the power brick.

Want to output 4K@60Hz out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2020 14" Lenovo ThinkBook Yoga 14s [11th,4C,G] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AKiTiO Node Pro) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
John_Petrucci
(@john_petrucci)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Yukikaze

The GT1030 should work off the default AKiTiO adapter, yup. That said, I am not sure you are not getting a better card. You're not saving all that much overall (since the Thunder2 costs 200$ at least), but gimping your performance. Get a GTX1050Ti instead, and replace the power brick.

Thank you, for now the most important is the silence and support monitor 4K, in the future i will buy used gtx 1050ti..

STAFF

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Yeah, got get 4K monitor support the GT1030 is pretty well placed. Good luck!

Want to output 4K@60Hz out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2020 14" Lenovo ThinkBook Yoga 14s [11th,4C,G] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AKiTiO Node Pro) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

This is a nice and purposeful setup. Let us know how it goes with 4K support for your 2012 Mac mini.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

This sounds like its going to be a neat n' sweet setup. Looking forward to the setup details.

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
John_Petrucci
(@john_petrucci)
Eminent Member

Posted by: mac_editor

This sounds like its going to be a neat n' sweet setup. Looking forward to the setup details.

Posted by: itsage

This is a nice and purposeful setup. Let us know how it goes with 4K support for your 2012 Mac mini.

Thank You, I will update you next week!

STAFF

ReplyQuote
John_Petrucci
(@john_petrucci)
Eminent Member

My configuration:

Mac mini 2012, intel i7 quad core, 16gb Ram

Akitio thunder2 and Msi gt 1030 passive card:

WP 20170607 19 11 27 Rich
WP 20170607 20 41 57 Rich

One question, for std use, only 4k output is possible cut off internal fan akitio thunder 2?

STAFF

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

You can simply disconnect the front fan's connector from the main board. Then leave the cover off, place the enclosure on its side so that heat sink pointing upward to help dissipation. If it runs stable, you can put the cover on to see how that works.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
John_Petrucci
(@john_petrucci)
Eminent Member

Posted by: itsage

You can simply disconnect the front fan's connector from the main board. Then leave the cover off, place the enclosure on its side so that heat sink pointing upward to help dissipation. If it runs stable, you can put the cover on to see how that works.

Thanks, for now all ok!

Disconnected the front fan!

I need software for monitor temp eGPU!

I used only egpu with DP cable!

In the Mac Os Sierra, the animated window is very lag and stuttering, the problem is the beta driver NVIDIA???

WP 20170608 06 56 49 Rich
WP 20170608 06 56 37 Rich2

STAFF

MParrott and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  2