HELP MacBook Air Early 2015 | RX 5700 XT / Razer Core X set up | Crashing when T...

Notifications
Clear all

HELP MacBook Air Early 2015 | RX 5700 XT / Razer Core X set up | Crashing when TB cable connected.  

RSS

Kondito
(@kondito)

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system which eGPU is being used)

2015 13" Macbook Air , i7, Intel HD6000, macOS 10.15.4

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable , any custom mods)

Razer Core X , ASUS RX 5700 XT, Apple TB3 to TB2 Adapter, Apple TB2 Cable

When the eGPU is plugged in the system crashes after a few seconds and reboots. Once 3/4 through the reboot it will reboot again until I unplug the eGPU.

Has anyone else had issues with this Graphics Card on this machine or similar? Is anyone aware of any solutions?

Kondito

This topic was modified 3 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Brodlum
(@brodlum)

I'm pretty certain Apple killed 5700 XT support in 10.15.4; I've spent three+ hours on the phone to AC walking through the various issues. I'm running a Mac mini w/ Razer Core X & AMD 5700 XT and since updating from .3 to .4 I get no display at all from my three monitors. If I plug one in to the HDMI then it starts slowing down after about half an hour, so I'm guessing that's the same issue you have.

I downgraded to 10.15.3 and it's (kind of) working again.

10.15.5 beta 2 doesn't fix the issue.

I'm waiting to see what AC say about it, they were waiting to hear back from their engineering team. I'm anticipating a slow fix.

Mac mini 2018, [email protected], 1TB, 32GB. Razer Core X w/ AMD RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Brodlum
(@brodlum)

Further issue; with the eGPU w/ AMD RX 5700 XT plugged in on 10.15.4 I am also unable to shut my Mac down, are you seeing the same thing? It hangs on my desktop wallpaper for a long while, then I get impatient and have to turn it off forcefully.

ReplyQuote
JakiChan
(@jakichan)
Eminent Member

I'm on a 2018 Mini, Razer Core X, RX 5700 XT, and it still works.

Mac Mini 2018 - Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Brodlum
(@brodlum)

@jakichan, which RX 5700 XT are you using? Which version and build of macOS

ReplyQuote
Brodlum
(@brodlum)

@jakichan, and can you confirm if the startup manager shows up for you when your monitor(s) [is/are] connected only via eGPU? Hold the option key down at boot.

ReplyQuote
JakiChan
(@jakichan)
Eminent Member

I'm on 10.15.4 (19E287).  Using a Sapphire 11293-03-40G Radeon Nitro+ Rx 5700 Xt 8GB GDDR6 Dual HDMI/ Dual DP OC (UEFI) PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card.

Mac Mini 2018 - Razer Core X

ReplyQuote