HELP MacBook Air Early 2015 | RX 5700 XT / Razer Core X set up | Crashing when T...

Notifications
Clear all

HELP MacBook Air Early 2015 | RX 5700 XT / Razer Core X set up | Crashing when TB cable connected.  

RSS

Kondito
(@kondito)

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system which eGPU is being used)

2015 13" Macbook Air , i7, Intel HD6000, macOS 10.15.4

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable , any custom mods)

Razer Core X , ASUS RX 5700 XT, Apple TB3 to TB2 Adapter, Apple TB2 Cable

When the eGPU is plugged in the system crashes after a few seconds and reboots. Once 3/4 through the reboot it will reboot again until I unplug the eGPU.

Has anyone else had issues with this Graphics Card on this machine or similar? Is anyone aware of any solutions?

Kondito

This topic was modified 10 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Brodlum
(@brodlum)

I'm pretty certain Apple killed 5700 XT support in 10.15.4; I've spent three+ hours on the phone to AC walking through the various issues. I'm running a Mac mini w/ Razer Core X & AMD 5700 XT and since updating from .3 to .4 I get no display at all from my three monitors. If I plug one in to the HDMI then it starts slowing down after about half an hour, so I'm guessing that's the same issue you have.

I downgraded to 10.15.3 and it's (kind of) working again.

10.15.5 beta 2 doesn't fix the issue.

I'm waiting to see what AC say about it, they were waiting to hear back from their engineering team. I'm anticipating a slow fix.

Mac mini 2018, [email protected], 1TB, 32GB. Razer Core X w/ AMD RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Brodlum
(@brodlum)

Further issue; with the eGPU w/ AMD RX 5700 XT plugged in on 10.15.4 I am also unable to shut my Mac down, are you seeing the same thing? It hangs on my desktop wallpaper for a long while, then I get impatient and have to turn it off forcefully.

ReplyQuote
JakiChan
(@jakichan)
Eminent Member

I'm on a 2018 Mini, Razer Core X, RX 5700 XT, and it still works.

Mac Mini 2018 - Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Brodlum
(@brodlum)

@jakichan, which RX 5700 XT are you using? Which version and build of macOS

ReplyQuote
Brodlum
(@brodlum)

@jakichan, and can you confirm if the startup manager shows up for you when your monitor(s) [is/are] connected only via eGPU? Hold the option key down at boot.

ReplyQuote
JakiChan
(@jakichan)
Eminent Member

I'm on 10.15.4 (19E287).  Using a Sapphire 11293-03-40G Radeon Nitro+ Rx 5700 Xt 8GB GDDR6 Dual HDMI/ Dual DP OC (UEFI) PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card.

Mac Mini 2018 - Razer Core X

ReplyQuote