Help! MacBook Pro late 2013 15", Akitio Node, GTX980 Ti not booting

Notifications
Clear all

Help! MacBook Pro late 2013 15", Akitio Node, GTX980 Ti not booting  

RSS

benslocum
(@benslocum)

I was able to get a hold of a node, and installed the card, hooked up the 6+2 PCI express power from the Node PSU to the video card. I took a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter and ran a thunderbolt 2 cable from the back of the node to my MacBook Pro.  And a display port cable from the GTX card out to an external display. I turn on the power to the node, and it waited patiently for a computer to tell it to do something. I turned on my MacBook Pro and the graphics card came to life but the internal screen on the laptop has remained black. The computer is on, I can hear the fans, but nothing is being displayed. I know I need to run the automate egpu script before anything will be sent through the thunderbolt cable, through the Node, through the graphics card to my external display, but if I can't see anything or do anything on the computer, I can't run the script. Was there something I was supposed to do to prepare the computer beforehand? Akitio told me that the node that they sent me had the latest firmware.  What am I missing?!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
benslocum
(@benslocum)

I'm on OS X 10.11.6 in case that helps!

Screenshot at Mar 03 13 59 14

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
benslocum
(@benslocum)

Not sure if this is related, but I only had one 6+2 power cable plugged in.  Should I have the other 6 plugged in too?

Screenshot at Mar 03 14 25 28

ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member

Yes of course :))))))

Please follow this setup video skip to (10:26) because you have the new firmware.

Open Terminal and type the following commands to download and execute the script:

curl -o ~/Desktop/automate-eGPU.sh  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/master/automate-eGPU.sh 

chmod +x ~/Desktop/automate-eGPU.sh

cd ~/Desktop

sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh

ϟ AKiTiO Thunder2 + EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming (macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

ReplyQuote
benslocum
(@benslocum)

Ok, I deserved the ridicule on the power issue Smile But there is still a problem. I have to disconnect the Node to get the computer to boot (even in recovery mode) I disabled csrutil as your video instructed. Then I rebooted and ran the script (Node still disconnected). The script told me to hot plug and run again. I did that, it downloaded the driver and told me to reboot. (Node still connected). The computer would not boot up. I held down power to to shut it off, disconnected the Node and then it booted right up when I pressed power. Shut down, plug in node, power on... no apple on the screen, no starting up. Booting up with it disconnected and then connecting it doesn't work either. 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I think the boot hang you're experiencing has to do with the external monitor being connected at boot. Here are the steps you can try:

1. Boot your MBP without the Node. Run the script again and hot plug the Node when it asks you to. Make sure there's no cable connected to the GPU ports.

2. Restart after the script installation with the Node attached (no monitor).

It may take longer to boot than normal but should work. Let us know how this goes.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
benslocum
(@benslocum)

@itsage Thank you for jumping in!  Sadly, that didn't work.  I did exactly as you said, and waited over 6 minutes for it to boot before hard powering off, disconnecting the Node and booting up again to write this reply.

Before I saw your message I was writing the message below.  Maybe there's something useful in there?

With the Node disconnected I can boot up the computer and everything runs fine.  If I connect the Node and run the script I get this output:

***      automate-eGPU.sh v1.0.0      ***

* (c) 2016, 2017 by Goalque & FricoRico *

Detected eGPU

GM200 [GeForce GTX 980 Ti]

Current OS X

10.11.6 15G1217

Previous OS X

10.11.6 15G31

Latest installed Nvidia web driver

Version: 346.03.15f06

Source: 3rd Party

Install Date: 3/3/17, 3:15 PM

Checking IOPCITunnelCompatible keys...

Searching for matching driver...

Your system is eGPU enabled and Nvidia web driver is up to date.

Bens-MacBook-Pro:Desktop benslocum$ 

Then I try to go to About this Mac to see what the Thunderbolt tree shows.  About this Mac does not open.  Going to Applications>Utilities>System Information does not load either. 

So I tell the computer to restart.  It turns off, but does not boot back up (Node still connected). The fans run, but it never shows anything on the internal display.  I let it sit for about 10 minutes and there was no change.  I press and hold power to turn it off.

I unplugged the Node, hit power again and the computer boots right up.  Going to About this Mac and System Information work just fine.

With System information still open, I plug in the Node.  Nothing new shows up in the Thunderbolt Device Tree.

Screenshot at Mar 03 17 43 00

Then I close System Information and open it again (I still have About this Mac open so I just clicked "System Report..." again.  Now it shows this.

Screenshot at Mar 03 17 44 46

Restart again, and it won't boot.  Wait for several minutes and hard power down... then cry a little.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

One more thing to try. Completely uninstall the automate-eGPU script and Nvidia Web drivers.

sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -uninstall

Then redo the script installation from the beginning with no external monitor attached.

ReplyQuote
benslocum
(@benslocum)

I uninstalled the script and the web drivers.  Then restarted.  Then downloaded and installed the script again.

Bens-MacBook-Pro:Desktop benslocum$ curl -o ~/Desktop/automate-eGPU.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/master/automate-eGPU.sh

% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current

Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed

100 36299  100 36299    0     0  41062      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 41062

Bens-MacBook-Pro:Desktop benslocum$ chmod +x ~/Desktop/automate-eGPU.sh

Bens-MacBook-Pro:Desktop benslocum$ cd ~/Desktop

Bens-MacBook-Pro:Desktop benslocum$ sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh

Password:

Hot-plug the Thunderbolt cable and run the script again.

Bens-MacBook-Pro:Desktop benslocum$ sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh

***      automate-eGPU.sh v1.0.0      ***

* (c) 2016, 2017 by Goalque & FricoRico *

Detected eGPU

GM200 [GeForce GTX 980 Ti]

Current OS X

10.11.6 15G1217

Previous OS X

10.11.6 15G31

Latest installed Nvidia web driver

Version: 346.03.15f06

Source: 3rd Party

Install Date: 3/3/17, 3:15 PM

You are running official Nvidia driver.

Searching for matching driver...

Driver [346.03.15f06] found from:

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/346/WebDriver-346.03.15f06.pkg

Do you want to download this driver (y/n)?

y

% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current

Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed

100 70.8M  100 70.8M    0     0  4991k      0  0:00:14  0:00:14 --:--:-- 5701k

Driver downloaded.

Removing validation checks...

Modified package ready. Do you want to install (y/n)?

y

installer: Package name is NVIDIA Web Driver 346.03.15f06

installer: Upgrading at base path /

installer: The upgrade was successful.

installer: The install requires restarting now.

IOPCITunnelCompatible mods done.

Board-id added.

Rebuilding caches...

All ready. Please restart the Mac.

Then I restarted.  Well... tried to restart.  I gave it 10 minutes of running the fans and not booting before turning it off.  Then left the node connected and tried to boot again.  Same thing... 10 minute later I turned it off, disconnected the node, booted up and wrote this reply 🙁 Do I need to update my OS?  Something else?!

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Sorry to hear man. I haven't tried v1.0.0 of the script with older Mac OS version to comment. Do you need 10.11 El Capitan?

ReplyQuote
benslocum
(@benslocum)

I have El Capitan 10.11.6 installed. Is there an older version of the script that you've successfully used with my OS and computer combo?

ReplyQuote
benslocum
(@benslocum)

So good news... I tried letting the computer start booting, and then connect the thunderbolt cable as soon as I saw the white apple.  It finished booting up!  I then connected the displayport cable from the GTX980 Ti to my external monitor, and I got the display on!  So I guess I just have to do it that way every time?  I'll try this method a few more times (wait for the apple then plug in the TB cable) and then I'll try rebooting without disconnecting first.  Here's what I'm seeing now on the System Info.

Screenshot at Mar 04 21 09 18
Screenshot at Mar 04 21 09 46
Screenshot at Mar 04 21 10 02
Screenshot at Mar 04 21 11 00

ReplyQuote
johnshea
(@johnshea)

Sorry I didn't see this thread until now - yes, I had this exact same issue with my late-2013 rMBP15 with 750m, and the "delayed start" fix worked for me (after a year of experimenting lol). Boot the laptop with the eGPU disconnected, wait until POST/apple symbol, then connect the thunderbolt cable. We should sticky this thread for future builders who are working with a 750m MBP.

ReplyQuote
benslocum
(@benslocum)

Somehow it's reassuring to know that someone out there had the same issue and found the same solution. Smile The first time I had everything up and running the computer disconnected two USB drives that I had attached through a hub (then had the audacity to tell me to eject them properly next time!)  I'm hoping that's an isolated incident, but wanted to check with the community if there's a history a thunderbolt eGPU computer having trouble with connections on other interfaces. (USB, other thunderbolt devices, etc. )

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

For macs with dGPUs, run the ./automate-eGPU.sh with -a. This eliminates the need for delayed plugin. Booting into Bootcamp resets this, however, and the command needs to be run again to fix the POST issue.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
benslocum
(@benslocum)

thanks! That worked nicely. No more watching for the Apple to flip on the power or plug in the cable for me!

ReplyQuote
viv
 viv
(@viv)

Thank you for this thread. It was very useful to get me going. I am using the High Sierra (OS 10.13) on my 13 inch early 2015 Macbook Air, with the Akito Node eGPU ( https://www.amazon.com/Akitio-NODE-T3IA-AKTU-Node-Thunderbolt3-eGPU/dp/B06XKKSNTS). The graphics card I am using is the Nvidia Titan XP

I have followed all the steps as listed above by Enjoy and benslocum, and have replaced the last command with a ./automate-eGPU.sh with -a

The drivers download and my mac restarts (with the thunderbolt connected). But once it turns on, it does not seem to be recognizing the GPU as when I click on "About this Mac" it still shows Intel as the Graphics card. 

Is there a part that I might be missing, or anything else that needs to be done?

Thank you

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: viv

Thank you for this thread. It was very useful to get me going. I am using the High Sierra (OS 10.13) on my 13 inch early 2015 Macbook Air, with the Akito Node eGPU ( https://www.amazon.com/Akitio-NODE-T3IA-AKTU-Node-Thunderbolt3-eGPU/dp/B06XKKSNTS). The graphics card I am using is the Nvidia Titan XP

I have followed all the steps as listed above by Enjoy and benslocum, and have replaced the last command with a ./automate-eGPU.sh with -a

The drivers download and my mac restarts (with the thunderbolt connected). But once it turns on, it does not seem to be recognizing the GPU as when I click on "About this Mac" it still shows Intel as the Graphics card. 

Is there a part that I might be missing, or anything else that needs to be done?

Thank you

High Sierra does not support NVIDIA external graphics (though MVC/Rominator has discovered a workaround that has not been detailed to the world - yet). Also, don't use automate-eGPU.sh on 10.13 or later. It is meant for < 10.12.6 only.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
viv
 viv
(@viv)

Thank you, one more question. After installation using the above script on a Macbook pro (<10.12.6), how are you able to know if the GPU is, in fact, being used by the mac as the graphics "card"? Is there a terminal command, or another way to make sure that the GPU is being utilized?

ReplyQuote