Help me with a shopping list for Mid-2014 rMBP

Notifications
Clear all

Help me with a shopping list for Mid-2014 rMBP  

RSS

OSXlifer
(@osxlifer)

Greetings! I'm looking to supe up my Mac for video editing and FPS improvement while gaming in OS X. I know Boot Camp is better to maximize performance, I just don't want the hassle of maintaining a Windows installation and having my various OS X chats down while I'm over on the other side. Incidentally I play Dota 2, TF2 and am retired but will some-day return to Eve Online.

So in terms of equipment, I've ordered an Akitio Node (I realize that's TB3, I'd like to future proof for my next MBP purchase) which means I need a TB3 to TB2 adapter (probably the $50 jobber from Apple unless someone has a better suggestion) and then also a double-sided TB2 (aka mini-displayport) cable. I've got one of those around somewhere from data transfers.

And I need a GPU. Presently I'm looking at a 6gb GTX 1060. Does it matter much which one I get? I'd consider a Raedon, don't really have big loyalties or strong preferences, just want easy and as close to hassle-free as possible, and then of course value. I think $250 would be around my max GPU budget.

Incidentally I should mention that my end game is to use this setup in India (I've got AC there but it's still hot, overall) with a 4k Monitor/TV. I'm running a 40"4k monitor now with mDP -> DP cable and it's absolutely fantastic, even get 60hz in OS X (and 24ish frames in Dota 2 @ 1080) with the rMBP 2GB  iGPU.  Ideally I'd be able to run a 4k TV (ie. HDMI input) from the eGPU at 60hz or faster for games. I should be able to do all this, right? Right now I get 11fps in 4k on Dota 2 (thus I play at 1080) so I realize it probably won't climb all the way to 60hz but let me know if my expectations are way off.

With the Node, I'm fine for power supply, right?

Input and guidance very appreciated! I ordered the Node from safeharbor (sharbor.com) this evening, hopefully they actually do have stock and ship soon, in which case I'll need to order the GPU and cable bits shortly.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member

Do you have the iGPU only or the 750m dGPU version of the 2014 MBP?

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
traceq
(@traceq)
Eminent Member

Hi

I was also looking for a 1060 6gb for gaming with a 27" 1440p display

In most tests the 1060 was able to easily get 60FPS @1080 but did not in all games @1440. So now I'm looking for a used 1070 which seems more able to get over 60 FPS @1440 ... So I guess that in order to play in 4k you should at least have a 1070 or even a 1080 but that is not the same price

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.12.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jonwatso
(@jonwatso)
Trusted Member

Your shopping list looks about right! I have a similar setup Akitio Node + Apple TB3-TB2 Adaptor ($49 USD) + 2M Thunderbolt Cable. No need to worry about a PSU as its built into the Node. 

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RX Vega 64@ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core) + macOS 10.15.2 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
OSXlifer
(@osxlifer)

Posted by: Antharsious

Do you have the iGPU only or the 750m dGPU version of the 2014 MBP?

Ah! The i in iGPU means integrated? I thought it meant internal. Yes I have the 2gb GT 750M dGPU (discreet?). 

Turns out Safeharbor doesn't have it in stock - their website doesn't say that anywhere but now that I got a second confirmation email I see that it's backordered.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member

If you want to use Mac OS for your gaming sessions, you will be all right. You only have to know that there is an incompatibility issue in Bootcamp regarding the duo thunderbolt 3 enclosure and 750m MBP. The thunderbolt 3 enclosure or the card can not be detected in Windows. The use of a thunderbolt 2 enclosure would solve the problem...

So just you are aware 😉

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
OSXlifer
(@osxlifer)

Posted by: Antharsious

If you want to use Mac OS for your gaming sessions, you will be all right. You only have to know that there is an incompatibility issue in Bootcamp regarding the duo thunderbolt 3 enclosure and 750m MBP. The thunderbolt 3 enclosure or the card can not be detected in Windows. The use of a thunderbolt 2 enclosure would solve the problem...

So just you are aware 😉

Wow, super helpful, thanks.

ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member

For your MacBook the best is AKiTiO Thudner2 and EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB, because Thunderbolt 3 enclosures have problems with especially your model, you can re-Build my eGPU -  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2013-15-mbpr-iris-only-gtx106016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win10-internal-display-optimus-enjoy/

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

2012 13" MacBook Air [3rd,2C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.12 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
OSXlifer
(@osxlifer)

Posted by: jonwatso

Your shopping list looks about right! I have a similar setup Akitio Node + Apple TB3-TB2 Adaptor ($49 USD) + 2M Thunderbolt Cable. No need to worry about a PSU as its built into the Node. 

Hey big picture, are you happy with how it's working out? I slept on my plans and I'm second-guessing myself. Do I need to spend $500 to triple my FPS in the games I play casually (5-6h a week max) and introduce a lot of complexity? The Node I ordered turns out to be backordered, so I'm thinking to cancel that order and maybe quit and just be content with what I've got. I find video editing is really quite ok with my dGPU (and that's not a huge part of my work flow). The thing I'd be giving up is the ability to run a 4k TV over HDMI @60hz. 

I had thought of downsizing to a 13" MBP during my next upgrade, which would be great for travel, but going from quad to dual core is probably too much to sacrifice. Right now the scales have tipped back from moving ahead with an eGPU, but I could be swayed. Input appreciated.

ReplyQuote
OSXlifer
(@osxlifer)

Posted by: enjoy

For your MacBook the best is AKiTiO Thudner2 and EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB, because Thunderbolt 3 enclosures have problems with especially your model, you can re-Build my eGPU -  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2013-15-mbpr-iris-only-gtx106016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win10-internal-display-optimus-enjoy/

The problems you mention are related to Windows/Bootcamp, right? I wanted the TB3 enclosure to future-proof for my next Mac. I don't plan to run Windows at all.

ReplyQuote