Help! My MBP 2016 Flickers, even on macOS and Windows! -> Boot macOS in Safe mod...

Notifications
Clear all

Help! My MBP 2016 Flickers, even on macOS and Windows! -> Boot macOS in Safe mode to fix.  

of  2
  RSS

mahdiEgpu
(@mahdiegpu)

Hi all

All I've done: Plug in akitio thunder2 with 1050 ti using Apple adapter, got error code 12, after installing drivers. Disabled some PCI root controllers (one for FaceTime camera, other for Wifi). Reboot, seemed to work just fine.

Return next day and screen flickers, speakers are not working. Takes long time to boot. Same error 12,, when finally goes in, but this time screen flickers, and windows logo bleeds in the back. Very tripply. Even when rebooting into macOS! screen flickers and windows logo from bootup is stuck there. Anyone know what's up? How can I remedy this situation? Thanks all!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

How are you powering your eGPU setup?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
s3aaan
(@s3aaan)

This happened in my 2016 Macbook Pro also after I successfully bootup my windows bootcamp and installed nvidia driver for GTX 1060. It went black so i decided to force the OS to power off.  

When i booted to MacOS, there is a flicker in the screen. But when i boot to Windows bootcamp, there is no flicker.

I decided to reinstall my MacOS from recovery, but the flicker did not go away, so i decided to bring the macbook to the service centre for warranty 😀 after few hours when i was about to leave, i checked again and the flicker is gone until now.

I have not tried plugging in my akitio node since because im afraid it was affected by it. (not sure though)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mahdiEgpu
(@mahdiegpu)

Hi guys, yes thanks. Yeah I noticed letting it sit for a long time it will go away eventually. 

ITsage, I'm using an 100 watt power supply (can deliver 12-19v at ~8amps)

ill try the default brick! But this flicker thing is scary. Should I do a dsdt edit? How hard is that? I've got a base model 13 '16 MBP

ReplyQuote
mahdiEgpu
(@mahdiegpu)

Posted by: s3aaan

Do you also have a non touch bar MBP or touch bar model?

Did you disable pcie root controllers?

ReplyQuote
s3aaan
(@s3aaan)

Posted by: mahdiEgpu

Posted by: s3aaan

Do you also have a non touch bar MBP or touch bar model?

Did you disable pcie root controllers?

Mine has a touchbar. 2016 MBP 13inch.

I did not disable anything.  I just did csrutil disable in the recovery, installed intel tb3 driver, then booted to windows bootcamp while the akitio node is plugged in and powered.  It was working as my external monitor shown a display, until i installed the nvidia drivers  which made my screen turn black so i powered  the macbook off by pressing/holding power button.

ReplyQuote
mahdiEgpu
(@mahdiegpu)

CSRUTIL disable? what's that? moreover, are TB3 drivers necessary? 

I stupidly thought all of this was plug and play 🙁 Anyone have any tips on getting this to work? I don't want to give up on quiet performance and buy a loud plastic gaming laptop haha

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Read our eGPU Setup Guide for Mac.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mahdiEgpu
(@mahdiegpu)

Thanks itsage

Switching to the stock power brick, I don't get that flicker anymore. And disabling facetime and wifi PCI root controllers, no more error 12, however, no speaker output or headphones. DSDT the way forward, or ?

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

The stock power brick would not be enough for a GTX1050Ti under load, or it will be running outside of specifications. You need a good power brick to replace it with. For the basic install, however, with the card mostly idling, the stock power brick should do fine.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430s [3rd,2C,M] + RX 550 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2