Help Needed, Mac Mini w/ Atikio Node + RX 560 setup

Notifications
Clear all

Help Needed, Mac Mini w/ Atikio Node + RX 560 setup  

RSS

RianGray
(@riangray)

Here's the setup I'm working on:

I'm having a bit of hiccup with my first eGPU setup. I'm wondering if someone could fill me in on what is actually happening. My mac is picking up the Thunderbolt enclosure and the GPU, but I cannot use the RX 560's ports. When I ran Unigine, it picked up the GPU but the score remained the same regardless whether it was connected or not. I'm guessing I must have missed a step.

On system information, Mac is at least recognizing an eGPU hooked up to the machine, but shown only in generic name, R9 xxx. Currently if I even want to login to the mac, I need to use the HDMI port on Mac mini to even get a working screen. I tried connecting via RX 560, and all I got was the black screen on the monitor.  (there was a signal, just black) When I tried using automate-eGPU, thinking it might be a driver-related issue, I was hit by "eficheck.kext has no Info.plist file." errors. 

Any ideas where I should start looking for?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

macOS High Sierra currently does not support RX 560 for external graphics use. You can see the eGPU in System Information because macOS 10.13 has drivers for it. However, the eGPU dependency kexts are not loaded. Therefore, you're seeing black screen and unable to use the RX 560 eGPU.

Switch back to using 10.12.5 then run automate-eGPU script and your eGPU setup will work.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

RianGray liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

I thought there was a massive list of cards supported in high Sierra including all the 5xx cards? I've just been googling and cant find the list but it was massive and included all cards from this generation and last?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Here is the list I got from the latest 10.13 Beta build. This is my fault for not clarifying the list shows AMD graphics cards which have native drivers in macOS High Sierra. In order to use one of these GPUs as an external GPU, it needs supporting kexts. At the moment, PCI ID 67DF is the only one with eGPU supporting kexts.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

My god you are a fantastic source of knowledge... thanks for posting that link, thats the exact list I read and not being totally up on how eGPU's work assumed it meant that they would all work. Luckily the card I have bought (RX 570 ITX) has the same PCI ID 67DF  as the 580 included in the Apple kit. Phew... I started panicking there... MacBook bought and received, replacement power supply ordered, card pre ordered, now wheres that Node lite 😉

---

ReplyQuote
RianGray
(@riangray)

Thank you so much! Like you said, it worked wonderfully after I downgraded back to Sierra with automate-eGPU. I believe I was under the same assumption as Eightarmedpet; I had thought High Sierra would simply support it because it has drivers. 

A quick question, do you think it would be possible to use other eGPUs in coming High Sierra, as in either with 3rd party scripts or with native support? On GitHub, I've read that the development for automate-eGPU.sh is now ceased, so now I fear if there would be no other way to achieve the eGPU but to buy GPUs with extremely high demands. (560 was my compromise for 580)

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

The future of external GPU support is in Apple’s hands entirely. They’ve purposely prevented all the easiness of hacking other cards. External GPUs are now their land and property. It was surprisingly easy before macOS Sierra. In macOS Sierra it became difficult, and in macOS High Sierra impossible by known methods. They have also blocked 3rd party EFI execution on the GPU.

As an engineer, I understand. It’s their software. We developers do not want to hack. I like to use official programming interfaces. Believe me. We don’t need any hacks or scripts anymore.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

ReplyQuote
JDug
 JDug
(@jdug)
Eminent Member

Posted by: itsage

Here is the list I got from the latest 10.13 Beta build. This is my fault for not clarifying the list shows AMD graphics cards which have native drivers in macOS High Sierra. In order to use one of these GPUs as an external GPU, it needs supporting kexts. At the moment, PCI ID 67DF is the only one with eGPU supporting kexts.

If the drivers are there for all of those cards, is there any reason why one cannot modify the kexts file for other cards to get them working?  This is obviously beyond my knowledge, hence me asking, but I know to get some egpus working with older versions of osx one needed to use a egpu modified kext script correct?

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: JDug

If the drivers are there for all of those cards, is there any reason why one cannot modify the kexts file for other cards to get them working?  This is obviously beyond my knowledge, hence me asking, but I know to get some egpus working with older versions of osx one needed to use a egpu modified kext script correct?

The only reason is that Apple doesn’t want us to do it. See my previous post. With previous plist hacks, we only got half of the CUs, no proper power management, no hot-plugging/surprise removal notifications, no DP/HDMI audio etc…

Now Apple is offering us all of this.

We can’t expect they can do it for all variety of cards with different BIOSes. They target certain cards to ensure compatibility with VR apps, stability and the best performance. Little birds have whispered that Nvidia may not be totally left out of the party but it’s in Apple’s hands in the end if they allow 3rd party eGPU drivers.

Developers need to learn a completely new way of GPU programming and use eGPU resources wisely, due to the limited bandwidth.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Amazing info guys. Thanks for sharing. Anyone else notice the "coming in spring 2018" small print referencing egpus on the Apple site? Feels to me that they may be a part of the modular Mac Pro solution. 

---

ReplyQuote