Help needed with MacBook Pro Radeon Pro 455 + Akitio Node with GTX 1080 ti

Notifications
Clear all

Help needed with MacBook Pro Radeon Pro 455 + Akitio Node with GTX 1080 ti  

RSS

duztdruid
(@duztdruid)

Hi,

So I received my Akitio Node today and have been attempting to get it to work with my Macbook Pro 15" (Radeon Pro 455 model).

MacOS has been working fine but I've had all kinds of problems with Windows 10 which is currently in a bricked state as far as I can tell.

For Windows I followed this guide:  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2016-15-macbook-pro-rp460-gtx1080ti32gbps-tb3-akitio-node-macos-windows-10/

My story including encountered issues so far:

• After activating the iGPU via rEFInd I got terrible screen flickering. After some troubleshooting I realized the flickering only happened when the macbook was running on battery power.
  • The 1080ti would only ended up recognized with the Node plugged in the top right Thunderbolt 3 port while also having a USB C -> USB A adapter in the port next to it, all others would just silently fail. Also it would fail to activate unless I had the power cable plugged in due to not enough power to run the thunderbolt port.
  • Fixed "error 12" by disabling the x16 PCIe port
  • I got a game (Elite Dangerous) to run on the internal monitor but got fairly terrible framerates.
  • I connected a 1080p monitor to the external GPU, rebooted, and chose to only output to that monitor (via display settings), now I got good framerates in Elite Dangerous but the sound was no longer working
  • Spent some time troubleshooting the missing audio and could see that:
    • The audio would work as long as I booted Windows without the Node plugged in
    • The Node could not be hot plugged after booting (I would hear the "new device" audio signal from Windows but the graphics card would not activate)
    • Windows itself did not show any problems with the audio in the playback devices menu even though no sound would come from the speakers, however it would not react to headphones connected to the headphone jack (it would report nothing being plugged in)
  • Every time I restarted Windows I would have to do a hard reboot since Windows would get stuck with at the "restarting" screen with an eternally spinning spinner
  • At some point I forgot to run the EFI to enable the iGPU before booting, this caused Windows boot to freeze and subsequent reboots would no longer boot using rEFInd but go straight to windows and sometimes go into an "automatic recovery" mode which would only give me the option to reboot again
  • Holding alt when starting up I could boot into MacOS
  • After reinstalling rEFInd it would again show on start up but Windows now consistently freezes a few seconds into booting even when enabling the iGPU

So here I am with a seemingly bricked Windows installation. I'm guessing I'll have to try and reinstall Bootcamp from scratch to give it another attempt. Any help or feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Some specific questions in my mind right now:

Thanks for your time!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
XG Thomas TI
(@xg-thomas-ti)

Hi duztdruid,

I had this problem earlier after switching from TB3 20Gbit/s cable to 40Gbit / s cable. I recognised that there was a transfer lack in mac osx under system information as my thunderbolt ports showed only 20 Gbit. Now with the new cable I do have 40 Gbit.

But what windows brought up after cable change was same problems like yours. Here step by step what i´d done.

Unplug MBP from all cables

start under windows

download nvidia driver cleaner -> google helps there

clean all drivers away

uninstall TB3 software -> I hereby hardly recommend the Intel NUC Version. (If you didnt install this yet then be prepared)

uninstall everything under windows that you meant to need for driving your eGPU

shut down the mbp

power up mbp in windows with everything unplugged.

now install the NUC Version of TB3 Software from Intel -> reboot

disable now the internal isight camera under system . hardware due to insufficient E/A ports - reboot

now hotplug ONLY your eGPU and wait a while

install latest NVIDIA drivers - reboot

at least I have to tell you that imho every additional connected device to your mbp will make it unstable under win 10 because of insufficient interrupts, E/A ports and so on. I can only drive my rig stable if I only connect my eGPU. But than it runs amazingly!

Hope that helps you a bit

Thomas

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
duztdruid
(@duztdruid)

Thanks for the pointers.

When you say "uninstall TB3 software", what software are you referring to? What benefits have you seen with using Intel NUC Version?

I ended up getting so sick of the rigamorole of trying to accelerate the internal monitor. So I bought a 4K display and am now using it with a default Windows setup (using the built in Radeon 455 for internal display, iGPU remains disabled, no hacking required).

Current state of affairs is the Akitio Node crashes (whole unit powers down) after a few minutes of gameplay. I think I might create a separate thread regarding that one since it doesn't really relate to my initial problems. 

ReplyQuote
XG Thomas TI
(@xg-thomas-ti)

the Intel NUC Version is fully compatible with your kind of Thunderbolt Chipset.

Thats what I´ve learned by searching for a solution why my thunderbolt station was not recognised correct by windows.

Did you check that your GPU doesn´t need to much power? Thats why I am choose the XG 2 from ASUS with 600 Watt Power for my GTX1080TI Extreme

ReplyQuote