Help No removable GPU MacBook Pro + Razer Core X + MSI RX 6900 XT

Notifications
Clear all

Help No removable GPU MacBook Pro + Razer Core X + MSI RX 6900 XT  

RSS

ekansbob
(@ekansbob)

Hey everyone,

Can anybody point me to setup, I've check the builds on switch on the Mac I get the message "No removable GPU" and then the icon disappears.

pointers much appreciated.

MacBook Pro 15 (touchbar) with Monterey 12.0.1

Razer Core X

MSI RX 6900 XT (had to use a 8 pin splitter inside), not tried this via bootcamp (yet). 

thanks in advance

J

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@lawrence_martin)

@ekansbob, Same issue here but different hardware. 

Mac Mini 2018 with Monterey 12.0.1

Sonnet eGPU Breakaway Box 750

PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 6900 XT with 1250 watt power supply

Plug in Thunderbolt cable.  Icon shows up then No Removable GPU.

I did find this in System Info:

Under PCI tab ....

AMD Radeon Navi21:

Name: ATY_GPU
Type: gpu-controller
Driver Installed: No
Tunnel Compatible: No
Pause Compatible: No
MSI: No
Bus: PCI
Slot: Thunderbolt@72,0,0
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x73af
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x148c
Subsystem ID: 0x2414
Revision ID: 0x00c0
Link Width: x16
Link Speed: 16.0 GT/s

Any help would be much appreciated!!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

6900 XT models come with XTX chipsets (supported in MacOS) and XTXH  chipsets (not supported). This is not a great situation.

https://egpu.io/forums/postid/96069/

Other than referring to the list, It’s hard to quickly confirm a 6900 XT model has the XTX chipset. 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 6600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 12.1 & Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @mini-i5

Other than referring to the list, It’s hard to quickly confirm a 6900 XT model has the XTX chipset.

Device ID 0x73af = XTXH, 0x73bf = XTX. Apple egpu page mentions (albeit in footer notes) that only 0x73bf is supported.

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
Launching Apps on Specific (e)GPUs on macOS
Definitive macOS Thunderbolt eGFX Compatibility Registry

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@lawrence_martin)

Posted by: @mac_editor
Posted by: @mini-i5

Device ID 0x73af = XTXH, 0x73bf = XTX. Apple egpu page mentions (albeit in footer notes) that only 0x73bf is supported.

Thank you ALL for your help.  Wow this is really frustrating and it would be nice for Apple to take a more active roll in playing nice with the rest of the industry.  Now I'm off to Microcenter for a refund and looking for a 6900 with XTX chipsets.

ReplyQuote