HELP Razer Core X Chroma + MacBook Pro mid 2015 + Sapphire RX580

Notifications
Clear all

HELP Razer Core X Chroma + MacBook Pro mid 2015 + Sapphire RX580  

RSS

Michael Elebiju
(@michael_elebiju)

Hi Guys,

Fairly new to this. I decided to invest in an eGPU setup just over a week ago. Excited to dive in, a few days went by, and I really struggled to get up and running.

I followed the guides available, and initially tried running purge wrangler. The script would never be able to automatically detect my eGPU. I would install the amd drivers regardless.

In the end, my core powers on when I connect to my MacBook Pro, the lights come on, the enclosure fan spins, and my MacBook can recognise the enclosure in the Thunderbolt section, but not the eGPU itself.

I found out about the automate-ogpu script and also tried going down that road. I ended up receiving something along the lines of "Thunderbolt device detected but no eGPU found" (paraphrased).

I am wondering whether it might be the fact that I am on Catalina? The enclosure seems to be working, and the card is new and from what I've read, you can't go wrong with sapphire. I did struggle at first with plugging in the 6+2 power connectors, but I think I have ticked that off at this point.

It would be great if anyone could point me in the right direction on this.

Cheers in advance~

Details:

MacBook Pro mid 2015 model (TB2)

Razer Core X Chroma

Official apple TB2 > TB3 Adapter

Official apple TB2 wire

Sapphire RX580

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Robson Nascimento
(@robson_nascimento)

Are you using a external monitor?

Not sure if that makes a difference but im interested in the same set up with an external monitor, from what i see it works best that way.

im a noob at this too but does you're MBP have iGPU or dedicated gPU ??

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Michael Elebiju
(@michael_elebiju)

Posted by: @robson_nascimento

Are you using a external monitor?

Not sure if that makes a difference but im interested in the same set up with an external monitor, from what i see it works best that way.

im a noob at this too but does you're MBP have iGPU or dedicated gPU ??

I am and its currently connected to the MacBook Pro via a thunderbolt to DP cable. Its the Acer VG271 P. I would connect it via the core,  but since I'm having issues even getting my MacBook Pro to recognise the eGPU alone, I haven't tried.

My MacBook has an integrated Intel Iris Pro 1536 inside. I've attached screenshots of what I see.

Screenshot 2020 05 12 at 22.21.24
Screenshot 2020 05 12 at 22.20.41
Screenshot 2020 05 12 at 22.20.58

ReplyQuote
Michael Elebiju
(@michael_elebiju)

UPDATE: It turns out there was a connection issue. It seems that either I had not properly slotted and screwed the gpu into the PCI slot, or the pins weren't properly plugged in. Made sure this time, plugged everything in, and for the first time, the lights on the gpu fans came on.

Now, when I run automate gpu, it detects the gpu and runs. My only issue, is that the script has been stuck on "rebuilding caches" for 10 mins or so. Is this normal?

Screenshot 2020 05 13 at 01.05.17

ReplyQuote
Robson Nascimento
(@robson_nascimento)

@michael_elebiju

how did you get 144hz?  i got a good cable and just picked up my 144hz monitor and i can only do 120hz 🙁

looking to pick up my razer core x soon with the rx580

did you get that problem solved?

ReplyQuote
Michael Elebiju
(@michael_elebiju)

Posted by: @robson_nascimento

@michael_elebiju

how did you get 144hz?  i got a good cable and just picked up my 144hz monitor and i can only do 120hz 🙁

looking to pick up my razer core x soon with the rx580

did you get that problem solved?

Just to update anyone that finds this thread: I did in fact get the RX580 running. "Thunderbolt device connected but no gpu detected" with the automate-egpu script seems to be a hardware related fault. In my case - My gpu had not been properly installed into its enclosure. As soon as it was, it was detected just fine.

I then ran automate-egpu, and the gpu's fans started turning. But then I realised that it was still not fully setup. Geekbench recognised it was connected, but my MacBook Pro didn't. 

I then thought "Maybe I will reinstall purge-wrangler" (as I ran it before when the gpu wasn't being detected at all) and when I went to do that, I realised I had already uninstalled it prior. So when I now went to install purge-wrangler and restarted my Mac...Low and behold! The card worked perfectly.

HOWEVER. The 143HZ you see in my device tree screenshot above is actually from my external monitor being connected directly to my Mac via mini dp to dp cable (like £9 on amazon). I've been unable to get my monitor to work via the egpu. My MacBook Pro does recognise that an external monitor is plugged in when I go via gpu, but the monitor itself shows "no signal" after some flickering. I've ordered a dp to dp cable to try and remedy the situation. 

HOWEVER!!...I sadly won't be able to test it our with the RX580 because I have decided to go for the RX5700 XT. Hopefully I can get the monitor working on that.

ReplyQuote