Setup & Software Discussions
HELP!! with MacBook Pro w/ Auros 1070 Gaming Box

HELP!! with MacBook Pro w/ Auros 1070 Gaming Box  

RSS

stygianflux
(@stygianflux)

I'm in need of some expert help.

I just got an Auros GeForce 1070GTX Gaming Box to use with my Macbook Pro (13" Late 2015 Retina with a 2.9 Ghz i5.). I use if for a character rendering program - Daz Studio. I render the images in Nvidia IRAY..  Rendering in the internal CPU takes a very long time, like several hours.  I got the gaming box for a much faster and better quality rendered images.  I can't even seem to get my MBP to recognize the eGPU.  I have followed a procedure from 9 to 5 Mac to install the Nvidia Driver install to the Mac's OS, and it's shows, but zero performance change. 

Could it be that the Auros is not "Nvidia"?  

I'm also having to use a USB-C to TB2 adapter since my laptop doesn't have a USB-C port.

ANY HELP WHATSOEVER WOULD BE HUGE.

Thanks in advance

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Do you mean Thundervolt 3 to Thundervolt 2 adapter?

do you use an external monitor?can you select OpenCL or Metal in your software?

which operating system do you have?

With El Capitan and Sierra you need goalque script, with HighSierra it is native, plug&Play, but Nvidia didn’t released drivers yet.

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

Rastafabi liked
ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member

Welcome to the eGPU community!

Referring to 9to5mac I think you talk about the automated-eGPU.sh script. There are some important aspects for eGPU use on macOS: Apart from compatible hardware (which you have) you need to make sure, that the eGPU is plugged in during boot for the OS to recognise it. Also remember that macOS 10.13 High Sierra is NOT (yet) supported. You can check with "System Information.app" from the utilities folder under the graphics tap, if your eGPU is recognised. If not try shutting down and booting with the enclosure already connected and powered on. In case your eGPU is not recognised anyway you should reinstall the script with the -a option. Else you can also try my installer if you do not feel comfortable with the command line, though you'd need to uninstall the script first.

If your eGPU is recognised by macOS you can try several things to make the software recognise it, if it's not working by default.

Creator of the update-redundant macOS 10.12 eGPU enabler package for NVIDIA

AKiTiO Thunder 2 PCIe Expansion Box
NVIDIA GTX 750Ti
MacBook Pro 9.2 ••• until being stolen.
Thanks to the community for helping getting me going again.

ReplyQuote
stygianflux
(@stygianflux)

Posted by: ikir

Do you mean Thundervolt 3 to Thundervolt 2 adapter? Yes, sorry.

do you use an external monitor?can you select OpenCL or Metal in your software?, No external montior.  I don't think so on Mac's, no to Metal.. I don't know what Metal is.. Is is a design software used for Mac Apps?

which operating system do you have? Sierra 10.12.6. --- soon to be 10.13 / High Sierra by tomorrow. 

With El Capitan and Sierra you need goalque script, with HighSierra it is native, plug&Play, but Nvidia didn’t released drivers yet.  I ran the goalque script.  Before that I think I had to disable SIP through terminal in Restore Mode.

THANKS for the reply!!!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
stygianflux
(@stygianflux)

Posted by: Rastafabi

Referring to 9to5mac I think you talk about the automated-eGPU.sh script. There are some important aspects for eGPU use on macOS: Apart from compatible hardware (which you have) you need to make sure, that the eGPU is plugged in during boot for the OS to recognise it.<< WOW, ok, I did not know this.  I feel like I wasn't doing it because it was causing the computer not to boot up.   Also remember that macOS 10.13 High Sierra is NOT (yet) supported. You can check with "System Information.app" from the utilities folder under the graphics tap, if your eGPU is recognised. If not try shutting down and booting with the enclosure already connected and powered on. In case your eGPU is not recognised anyway you should reinstall the script with the -a option. Else you can also try my installer if you do not feel comfortable with the command line, though you'd need to uninstall the script first.

If your eGPU is recognised by macOS you can try several things to make the software recognise it, if it's not working by default.

WOW!  Thank you for the response!!!  I'm so glad I found this forum.

1 question, I heard that this eGPU works better and faster in Windows.  Would it be worth it to use Bootcamp and Windows 10?  I'm not fond of Windows at all, and don't want to have to use it, but if it means shortening render times by 10 hours then I'd be willing to try it.  

ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member

While fps performance in games is inferior on macOS especially with the NVIDIA drivers, though they are getting more mature by now CUDA or OpenCL performance is not so different.

CUDA, OpenCL and Metal are the compute languages available on Mac and some software support multiple ones while other software only runs one way. Speaking of CUDA you need a separate additional download for it to work, as it's not included with the GPU drivers. On your case there properly is no need for windows at all.

If your MacBook does not boot up with the enclosure connected reinstall it with the -a mode.

NVIDIA GTX 750Ti

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

With 10.13 you will need the script, but Nvidia need to release its drivers.

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

Rastafabi liked
ReplyQuote
stygianflux
(@stygianflux)

Posted by: ikir

With 10.13 you will need the script, but Nvidia need to release its drivers.

So wait until the drivers come out, or else I won't be able to use it?

ReplyQuote
stygianflux
(@stygianflux)

Referring to 9to5mac I think you talk about the automated-eGPU.sh script. There are some important aspects for eGPU use on macOS: Apart from compatible hardware (which you have) you need to make sure, that the eGPU is plugged in during boot for the OS to recognise it. Should I leave it plugged in all the time even when I'm not using it?  Also, I thought maybe it would have to be "ejected"..like an extra drive.  But I don't see how to do that.Also remember that macOS 10.13 High Sierra is NOT (yet) supported. You can check with "System Information.app" from the utilities folder under the graphics tap, if your eGPU is recognised. If not try shutting down and booting with the enclosure already connected and powered on. In case your eGPU is not recognised anyway you should reinstall the script with the -a option. Else you can also try my installer if you do not feel comfortable with the command line, though you'd need to uninstall the script first.

ReplyQuote
stygianflux
(@stygianflux)

Referring to 9to5mac I think you talk about the automated-eGPU.sh script. There are some important aspects for eGPU use on macOS: Apart from compatible hardware (which you have) you need to make sure, that the eGPU is plugged in during boot for the OS to recognise it. Also remember that macOS 10.13 High Sierra is NOT (yet) supported. You can check with "System Information.app" from the utilities folder under the graphics tap, if your eGPU is recognised. If not try shutting down and booting with the enclosure already connected and powered on. In case your eGPU is not recognised anyway you should reinstall the script with the -a option. Else you can also try my installer if you do not feel comfortable with the command line, though you'd need to uninstall the script first.

So I think I’ve run the goalque script as well as the 9-5 eGPU script. 

Do I need to disable or uninstall them before I run the installer you gave me in the link?

also. Every time the Mac needs to restart it doesn’t. It starts to shut down, all the apps close and the screen goes dark, but then it hangs there. Sometimes the fan runs. But nothing on the screen and the keyboard is not lit. I have to unplug it from the charger and unplug the TB2, hold the power button down to shut it down, then hit it again to start it. 

ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member

The 9t5mac and the qualque script are identical, as 9to5mac refers to goalque's one. To uninstall it you'd need to run the following command in terminal:

(If it's working there is no major need of replacing it with my solution.) 

cd ~/Desktop && curl -o automate-eGPU.sh   https://raw.githubusercontent.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/master/automate-eGPU.sh   && chmod +x automate-eGPU.sh && sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -uninstall

For how long did you wait upon trying to shutdown? It might take quiet a while. What you could try is reseting NVRAM and SMC of your Mac.

Regarding eGPU use: If you need it you would need to reboot with the eGPIU connected before boot. If you want to stop using it you would need to shutdown, disconnect and than boot again, as there is currently no way to eject it.

NVIDIA GTX 750Ti

ReplyQuote
stygianflux
(@stygianflux)

The 9t5mac and the qualque script are identical, as 9to5mac refers to goalque's one. To uninstall it you'd need to run the following command in terminal:

cd ~/Desktop && curl -o automate-eGPU.sh   https://raw.githubusercontent.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/master/automate-eGPU.sh   && chmod +x automate-eGPU.sh && sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -uninstall

For how long did you wait upon trying to shutdown? It might take quiet a while. What you could try is reseting NVRAM and SMC of your Mac.

Rastafabi.. I can't thank you enough for the help, and all the explaining.  

I think I've run all the of the scripts mentioned.. qualque, the 9-5 script, as well as your install package.

So do I only need to run the 1 script?  

Also, I remembered I had to run [ csrutil disable ] in terminal as well.  Should I keep that?

As far as waiting for Mac to shut down.. like I walked away from it for an hour or so, and was in the state I described. 

Is resetting the NVRAM the same as PRAM?  

Regarding eGPU use: If you need it you would need to reboot with the eGPIU connected before boot. If you want to stop using it you would need to shutdown, disconnect and than boot again, as there is currently no way to eject it.

ReplyQuote
stygianflux
(@stygianflux)

So I ran the uninstall script you just posted which uninstalled the Nvidia Driver.  Should I re-install your driver Installer Package then reset NVRAM and SMC?

ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member

Posted by: stygianflux

[…]

I think I've run all the of the scripts mentioned.. qualque, the 9-5 script, as well as your install package.

You only should use one implementation at a time.

Also, I remembered I had to run [ csrutil disable ] in terminal as well.  Should I keep that?

Yes, this is essential for any of the implementations to work.

As far as waiting for Mac to shut down.. like I walked away from it for an hour or so, and was in the state I described. 

Yes, it is. Try this as well as resetting SMC. Both should be executed before starting new and (re-)installing my package. If either task does not help it‘s most likely related to some firmware interception, which maybe could be resolved by using the -a mode. Else there‘s currently now solution.

While installing my package you might need to enable -a mode from the installation dialog. (In case your Mac does not boot with the eGPU attached - try multiple boots to be sure.)

NVIDIA GTX 750Ti

ReplyQuote
stygianflux
(@stygianflux)

Posted by: stygianflux

Ok so here’s where I am. 

I ran the uninstall script that you posted. 

I Rebooted in Recovery Mode and ran csrutil disable

Then reset PRAM and SMC  

Then ran your Installer Pack script which restarted the computer  

I haven’t tried the eGPU yet but isn’t there supposed to be a NVIDIA Driver  Icon in the upper Tool bar? It’s not there  

ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member

You did not read and followed the installers instructions. You need to download the NVIDIA drivers manually before running the installer, which does provide a weblink to find the latest. This is where goalque’s script has an advantage. However ones you manually installed them my installer works throughout minor system updates as well as NVIDIA driver updates, which goalque’s script doesn‘t as it needs to run again (automated but requires user input).

NVIDIA GTX 750Ti

ReplyQuote
stygianflux
(@stygianflux)

You did not read and followed the installers instructions. You need to download the NVIDIA drivers manually before running the installer, which does provide a weblink to find the latest. This is where goalque’s script has an advantage. However ones you manually installed them my installer works throughout minor system updates as well as NVIDIA driver updates, which goalque’s script doesn‘t as it needs to run again (automated but requires user input).

Everything was working beautifully!  I waited to update Mac's OS to 10.13 til today I noticed there were new drivers...

I installed the new Nvidia Driver, as well as the latest CUDA driver.. Now my eGPU is not being recognized.  I thought I might have to reinstall your Installer Package, so I did.. still nothing.. 

Weirdly enough, when I boot my computer the CUDA Driver Preferences tell me I need to Update to the current version.. but it also says my current version IS the current version.. Am I missing something?

Untitled 6

ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member

macOS 10.13 High Sierra currently doesn't support NVIDIA eGPU. To get back functionality you need to downgrade.

NVIDIA GTX 750Ti

ReplyQuote