Notifications
Clear all

HELP!! with MacBook Pro w/ Auros 1070 Gaming Box  

of  2
  RSS

stygianflux
(@stygianflux)

I'm in need of some expert help.

I just got an Auros GeForce 1070GTX Gaming Box to use with my Macbook Pro (13" Late 2015 Retina with a 2.9 Ghz i5.). I use if for a character rendering program - Daz Studio. I render the images in Nvidia IRAY..  Rendering in the internal CPU takes a very long time, like several hours.  I got the gaming box for a much faster and better quality rendered images.  I can't even seem to get my MBP to recognize the eGPU.  I have followed a procedure from 9 to 5 Mac to install the Nvidia Driver install to the Mac's OS, and it's shows, but zero performance change. 

Could it be that the Auros is not "Nvidia"?  

I'm also having to use a USB-C to TB2 adapter since my laptop doesn't have a USB-C port.

ANY HELP WHATSOEVER WOULD BE HUGE.

Thanks in advance

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Do you mean Thundervolt 3 to Thundervolt 2 adapter?

do you use an external monitor?can you select OpenCL or Metal in your software?

which operating system do you have?

With El Capitan and Sierra you need goalque script, with HighSierra it is native, plug&Play, but Nvidia didn’t released drivers yet.

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar M1 8-core CPU 8-core GPU - 16GB unified memory - 512GB PCIe SSD
MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB PCIe SSD

my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

Rastafabi liked
ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member

Welcome to the eGPU community!

Referring to 9to5mac I think you talk about the automated-eGPU.sh script. There are some important aspects for eGPU use on macOS: Apart from compatible hardware (which you have) you need to make sure, that the eGPU is plugged in during boot for the OS to recognise it. Also remember that macOS 10.13 High Sierra is NOT (yet) supported. You can check with "System Information.app" from the utilities folder under the graphics tap, if your eGPU is recognised. If not try shutting down and booting with the enclosure already connected and powered on. In case your eGPU is not recognised anyway you should reinstall the script with the -a option. Else you can also try my installer if you do not feel comfortable with the command line, though you'd need to uninstall the script first.

If your eGPU is recognised by macOS you can try several things to make the software recognise it, if it's not working by default.

Creator of the update-redundant macOS 10.12 eGPU enabler package for NVIDIA

AKiTiO Thunder 2 PCIe Expansion Box
NVIDIA GTX 750Ti
MacBook Pro 9.2 ••• until being stolen.
Thanks to the community for helping getting me going again.

ReplyQuote
stygianflux
(@stygianflux)

Posted by: ikir

Do you mean Thundervolt 3 to Thundervolt 2 adapter? Yes, sorry.

do you use an external monitor?can you select OpenCL or Metal in your software?, No external montior.  I don't think so on Mac's, no to Metal.. I don't know what Metal is.. Is is a design software used for Mac Apps?

which operating system do you have? Sierra 10.12.6. --- soon to be 10.13 / High Sierra by tomorrow. 

With El Capitan and Sierra you need goalque script, with HighSierra it is native, plug&Play, but Nvidia didn’t released drivers yet.  I ran the goalque script.  Before that I think I had to disable SIP through terminal in Restore Mode.

THANKS for the reply!!!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
stygianflux
(@stygianflux)

Posted by: Rastafabi

Referring to 9to5mac I think you talk about the automated-eGPU.sh script. There are some important aspects for eGPU use on macOS: Apart from compatible hardware (which you have) you need to make sure, that the eGPU is plugged in during boot for the OS to recognise it.<< WOW, ok, I did not know this.  I feel like I wasn't doing it because it was causing the computer not to boot up.   Also remember that macOS 10.13 High Sierra is NOT (yet) supported. You can check with "System Information.app" from the utilities folder under the graphics tap, if your eGPU is recognised. If not try shutting down and booting with the enclosure already connected and powered on. In case your eGPU is not recognised anyway you should reinstall the script with the -a option. Else you can also try my installer if you do not feel comfortable with the command line, though you'd need to uninstall the script first.

If your eGPU is recognised by macOS you can try several things to make the software recognise it, if it's not working by default.

WOW!  Thank you for the response!!!  I'm so glad I found this forum.

1 question, I heard that this eGPU works better and faster in Windows.  Would it be worth it to use Bootcamp and Windows 10?  I'm not fond of Windows at all, and don't want to have to use it, but if it means shortening render times by 10 hours then I'd be willing to try it.  

ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member

While fps performance in games is inferior on macOS especially with the NVIDIA drivers, though they are getting more mature by now CUDA or OpenCL performance is not so different.

CUDA, OpenCL and Metal are the compute languages available on Mac and some software support multiple ones while other software only runs one way. Speaking of CUDA you need a separate additional download for it to work, as it's not included with the GPU drivers. On your case there properly is no need for windows at all.

If your MacBook does not boot up with the enclosure connected reinstall it with the -a mode.

Creator of the update-redundant macOS 10.12 eGPU enabler package for NVIDIA

AKiTiO Thunder 2 PCIe Expansion Box
NVIDIA GTX 750Ti
MacBook Pro 9.2 ••• until being stolen.
Thanks to the community for helping getting me going again.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

With 10.13 you will need the script, but Nvidia need to release its drivers.

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar M1 8-core CPU 8-core GPU - 16GB unified memory - 512GB PCIe SSD
MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB PCIe SSD

my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

Rastafabi liked
ReplyQuote
stygianflux
(@stygianflux)

Posted by: ikir

With 10.13 you will need the script, but Nvidia need to release its drivers.

So wait until the drivers come out, or else I won't be able to use it?

ReplyQuote
stygianflux
(@stygianflux)

Referring to 9to5mac I think you talk about the automated-eGPU.sh script. There are some important aspects for eGPU use on macOS: Apart from compatible hardware (which you have) you need to make sure, that the eGPU is plugged in during boot for the OS to recognise it. Should I leave it plugged in all the time even when I'm not using it?  Also, I thought maybe it would have to be "ejected"..like an extra drive.  But I don't see how to do that.Also remember that macOS 10.13 High Sierra is NOT (yet) supported. You can check with "System Information.app" from the utilities folder under the graphics tap, if your eGPU is recognised. If not try shutting down and booting with the enclosure already connected and powered on. In case your eGPU is not recognised anyway you should reinstall the script with the -a option. Else you can also try my installer if you do not feel comfortable with the command line, though you'd need to uninstall the script first.

ReplyQuote
stygianflux
(@stygianflux)

Referring to 9to5mac I think you talk about the automated-eGPU.sh script. There are some important aspects for eGPU use on macOS: Apart from compatible hardware (which you have) you need to make sure, that the eGPU is plugged in during boot for the OS to recognise it. Also remember that macOS 10.13 High Sierra is NOT (yet) supported. You can check with "System Information.app" from the utilities folder under the graphics tap, if your eGPU is recognised. If not try shutting down and booting with the enclosure already connected and powered on. In case your eGPU is not recognised anyway you should reinstall the script with the -a option. Else you can also try my installer if you do not feel comfortable with the command line, though you'd need to uninstall the script first.

So I think I’ve run the goalque script as well as the 9-5 eGPU script. 

Do I need to disable or uninstall them before I run the installer you gave me in the link?

also. Every time the Mac needs to restart it doesn’t. It starts to shut down, all the apps close and the screen goes dark, but then it hangs there. Sometimes the fan runs. But nothing on the screen and the keyboard is not lit. I have to unplug it from the charger and unplug the TB2, hold the power button down to shut it down, then hit it again to start it. 

ReplyQuote
 of  2