Hotplug Crashing MacOS - XFX RX 580 - 2015 MacBook Pro

Notifications
Clear all

Hotplug Crashing MacOS - XFX RX 580 - 2015 MacBook Pro  

RSS

meagloth
(@meagloth)

Hello, 

I have been using an XFX RX 580 8GB with my 2015 MacBook Pro 15" over TB2 to an Akitio node for the last two years. I have updated my computer several times while using purge wrangler and it has always worked. I also turned on FileVault at some point and it continued to work.

It was working fine when I decided to sell the 580 because cards had gotten so pricey, but I then regretted that decision and bought a cheaper XFX RX 580 4GB. The new card works fine in windows bootcamp but when I hotplug the way I had been doing with the previous card it immediately crashes my computer and restarts with "your computer restarted because of a problem."

I thought maybe I had to just run purge-wrangler again, but when I did that and plugged in the eGPU during the detection phase my Mac immediately crashed again and got stuck in a restart loop and then went to a MacOS install screen and then restarted several more times. 

I then tried to patch for AMD gpu manually and it did the same crash and restart.

I disabled FileVault today and tried to run purge wrangler again. It still crashes. 

Does anyone know what's happening here? I though all the patches would still be good and I would just be able to plug in the new gpu since its basically the same card. The GPU works well in windows so I don't think its a bad card. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@meagloth, Used cards such as the RX 480 likely run a modded firmware. On top of that XFX cards tend to have a firmware/vBIOS that don't always have macOS compatibility. My recommendation is to download a vBIOS from Sapphire with the matching VRAM brand then flash it in Windows.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
meagloth
(@meagloth)

@itsage, Thank you this was very helpful and I'm in the process of doing this. After a very long process of fucking up my apple partition I am now on a fresh install of Big Sur. I downloaded the AMD monitor application in windows (I forget the correct name) and reinstalled factory drivers. I thought I'd check if it worked on Mac after doing this but was having weird issues with purge wrangler. I decided the easiest thing to do would be to roll back to the last time machine backup on Mojave when it was all working fine. I must have done some stuff wrong, because I ended up having a lot of problems with time machine and my SSD but in regards to the eGPU this is a bit of a tangent. Anyway I wiped it all and now I'm here.

I just reinstalled purge wrangler on my clean machine and it recognized the card when I plugged it in and the computer did not crash. Status shows system is patched for AMD cards. However when I hotplug the card the eGPU logo pops up in the top bar, but it says "no removable gpu" as if there was no card in my box. 

I am going to try to install the sapphire drivers now and see if that helps. I had trouble doing this earlier but hopefully I will be able to figure this out. 

Thanks for the help. I swear with computers sometimes I feel like I'm trying to fix a car by hitting the tires with a hammer. 

This post was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote