how to connect razer core x to MBP 2013 via TB2

Notifications
Clear all

how to connect razer core x to MBP 2013 via TB2  

RSS

(@ehsan_aliverdi)

I am new to this topic, I got Razer Core x with MSI Radeon RX580. My Device is MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013). my OS is 10.13.6 (17G66) and All my cables are apple original.

The problem is i have been following tutorials on how to connect eGPU to old Laptop. I followed so many tutorial mainly this. but i am unable to get the device working. the main issue is when eGPU connects nothing happens( the mac shows no device connected on thunderbolt ) no device is shown in PCI section too.  can someone please guide me in right direction to solve this issue. i have been struggling on the web for last two days.

Port:

Link Status: 0x7

Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x1

Current Link Width: 0x1

Receptacle: 1

Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.11.0

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ehsan_aliverdi Do you have another Thunderbolt device to test whether the Thunderbolt cable and Thunderbolt 2 ports on MacBook Pro are functional?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
(@ehsan_aliverdi)

@itsage

Hi 

I dont have windows based thunderbolt device.  Bet I have tried with two different mac book pro , they both show no device connected. 

When I connect razor core x to my mobile(I know it is stupid) it starts changing.

Thunderbolt 2 cable are brand new from apple. And thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 is genuine (second hand )

Maybe answer to the following questions help me.

What should happen after connecting  razer core x via adapter to old MBP?

does the os shows it as unsupported device?

Should the fan on razer core x starts to spin?

Should the graphics card fan starts to spin?

Currently when I connect the addaptor (thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3) the fan on power supply starts to spin and when I connect it to MBP nothing happens. The fan on enclosure is always off

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter? Apple Thunderbolt 2 cable?

You're only showing one of the ports. Show the entire bus.

You need a different Thunderbolt device to prove your Thunderbolt 2 ports are working. Maybe get an Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter. Or Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
(@ehsan_aliverdi)

@joevt

Are you reffering to thunderbolt on MBP? If yes . I have been using that to connect to different  projectors (apple thunderbolt to vga and apple thunderbolt to hdmi) and the port on mac book pro works perfect.

About the enclosure I dont know how to test it as I dont have new MBP or windows laptop with thunderbolt3

ReplyQuote
Username
(@username)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @ehsan_aliverdi

@joevt

Are you reffering to thunderbolt on MBP? If yes . I have been using that to connect to different  projectors (apple thunderbolt to vga and apple thunderbolt to hdmi) and the port on mac book pro works perfect.

About the enclosure I dont know how to test it as I dont have new MBP or windows laptop with thunderbolt3

Those are not Thunderbolt adapters but mini-displayport adapters.

Adapters to ethernet, firewire, e-sata etc are Thunderbolt adapters.

Present: 2012 Mac mini + PowerColor RX 56 Vega Nano @10Gbps-TB1 +
PowerColor eGFX Mini 180F via TB3->TB2 adapter + macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Previous: 2012 Mac Mini + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3 via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS

ReplyQuote