iMac 21.5 Late 2012 i5 Setup coming soon

Notifications
Clear all

iMac 21.5 Late 2012 i5 Setup coming soon  

RSS

Dax_87
(@dax_87)

Hello guys,
I open this discussion to get help on my iMac.

I currently own an iMac 21.5 Late 2012 i5, HD SSD and with 16 GB of RAM but only 512MB graphics card an Nvidia.
Now I can't do much to use complex graphics or games.
I recently discovered that it is possible to use eGPUs with Mojave system, this would involve investing something but still keeping my iMac.

My idea is to buy:

1 - Apple Adapter from Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2
2- Akitio Node - Thunderbolt3 eGPU (Tell me if this model is ok I think so from what I read)
3- MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC

This is my shopping list let me know if everything is correct. If so the only thing to do is to configure my iMac with the eGPU script made available by mayankk2308.

my intent is to be able to use the external graphics card to use the X-Plane 11 simulator.

For the moment, I await your advice.
As the material will arrive I will update you on the state of the performances, if the configuration has been done correctly without problems so as to be able to help others with my same model of iMac.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

JSWill liked
ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

You're lucky the 2012 iMac is the earliest iMac that supports Mojave.

There's one 2012 iMac build in the builds list but it uses an Nvidia eGPU.
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2012-imac-21-5-3-5ghz-i7-16gb-ram-1tb-hd-akitio-node-gtx-1080ti/

In the builds list, you can search for other Macs that have an Nvidia dGPU. I think they're all MacBook Pros, and also have an iGPU so they won't behave exactly like the iMac.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
JSWill
(@jswill)

@dax_87, Hey I'm thinking on the exact hardware for eGPU and I'm also using the 2012 late iMac with Mojave! I couldn't find a lot build guides for iMac, especially the late 2012 ones. How did things go? Were you able to use your internal display? You didn't post any questions on this forum, so I guess everything went well?

Really looking forward to your reply!

Thx.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
JSWill
(@jswill)

@joevt, Hi, so you were saying we are lucky with the 2012 iMac Mojave...I asked a vendor of Akitio Node and they say I'm actually not able to use eGPU for the system...so is Mojave supposed to be good for eGPU?

ReplyQuote
Dax_87
(@dax_87)

@jswill, I chose to assemble a pc with mac compatible components. so i use windows and mac with hackinthos using intel processor, radeon rx580 8gb. now it works great. 💪

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
JSWill
(@jswill)

@dax_87, wow hackintosh, way to go. 

Dax_87 liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: @jswill

@joevt, Hi, so you were saying we are lucky with the 2012 iMac Mojave...I asked a vendor of Akitio Node and they say I'm actually not able to use eGPU for the system...so is Mojave supposed to be good for eGPU?

I meant that @dax_87 was lucky to not have an older iMac which doesn't support Mojave which is the version he was asking about, but actually, eGPU support started with High Sierra 10.13.4 according to 
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Dax_87
(@dax_87)

exact. I'm sure that using a radeon rx580 it is 100% compatible with High Sierra up to catalina. I found the drivers on github and you have to use the terminal. in my opinion, egpu is not the best solution. it costs less to buy intel components and assemble a computer then using hackinthos. with 800 euros or dollars you have an imac worth 2800 euros

ReplyQuote