iMac 27" 5K (Late 2015) - Can you accelerate the internal screen?

Notifications
Clear all

iMac 27" 5K (Late 2015) - Can you accelerate the internal screen?  

RSS

Hellyeah
(@hellyeah)

There is very little out there on eGPUs and iMac 5Ks.   A post from 5-6 months ago suggests you could not accelerate the internal screen at that time (with the macOS High Sierra public beta release).   Has that changed?  Is there any way to accelerate the internal screen on the iMac 5K?   I wish to avoid the expense of an iMac Pro.

I'm looking to run a Sonnet eGFX 550W with a ZOTAC 1080 Ti Mini via a TB3 to TB2 converter. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
PastorDame
(@pastordame)

I am in a similar boat - wondering if I can / how to accelerate my internal display. I am running a 2017 5K iMac with the Sonnet BreakAway Box 550, OWC TB3 cable, and Nvidea Titan X (Maxwell) video card. 

I have been able to get a my system to recognize the card and the eGPU with a monitor attached to it. 

Bumping this post for help, too Smile

System: 27" iMac 5K (2017), dGPU - Radeon Pro 575
eGPU: SONNET BreakAway Box 550 w/ Nvidia GTX Titan X (Maxwell) or Powercolor Red Devil AMD Radeon RX580. BenQ Zowie XL (1440p @ 144Hz)

ReplyQuote
nombrescreeno
(@nombrescreeno)
Trusted Member

Anyone try a headless adapter and mirroring it on there?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
rawweb
(@rawweb)
Trusted Member

I tried this on my MacBook Pro using the 5K ultra fine, the results weren’t great. You can get it to work but have to launch apps from a ghost screen and use another app that lets you view the program you want to accelerate (it will launch hidden on ghost screen). Full guide here:  https://egpu.io/setup-guide-external-graphics-card-mac/#headless.

Personally, I was not a fan of the workflow. Give it a shot and report back! Hoping for better implementation in the spring when Apple officially supports eGPU, but we may never get auto internal acceleration...

2017 15" MacBook Pro + 16GB + Radeon Pro 560
2013 Mac Pro
Blackmagic Design Radeon Pro 580
Mantiz Venus - Radeon RX 580
LG Ultrafine 5k - Dual

ReplyQuote
PastorDame
(@pastordame)

It would be a huge shame if Apple promoted support for eGPU enclosures only to make it one more peripheral to fall into the heap of disuse. On the flip-side, it has been fantastic to find this community for support.

System: 27" iMac 5K (2017), dGPU - Radeon Pro 575
eGPU: SONNET BreakAway Box 550 w/ Nvidia GTX Titan X (Maxwell) or Powercolor Red Devil AMD Radeon RX580. BenQ Zowie XL (1440p @ 144Hz)

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

OpenCL and Metal accelerate any screen. OpenGL needs an external display

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote