iMac 27 setup (internal accelerate possible?)

Notifications
Clear all

iMac 27 setup (internal accelerate possible?)  

RSS

(@sajan_oommen)

Hello All:

After reading trough all the awesome guides I am able to setup my 

iMac - mid 2015 - running bootcamp with win10

Akito Node 3  with a MSI GTX 1080i

Both my internal graphics driver and the MSI GTX show up fine in the Device Manager.

External monitor is powered by the GTX .  Works great.

What I have yet to figure out if its possible to accelerate the internal monitor.  This would be my preferred setup.  I got a HTC Vive that I am able to run with the external monitor but not with the internal monitor.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Speaking of macOS: Calculation like OpenCL and Metal works, OpenGL acceleration not yet. Maybe in the next updates.

windows should accelerate internal display with OpenGL too

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@tom_morter-laing)

Its a journey - when I have time Ill fill you in with what Ive discovered, but it isnt easy, and I havent yet been successful either 🙁

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@tom_morter-laing)

Posted by: ikir

Speaking of macOS: Calculation like OpenCL and Metal works, OpenGL acceleration not yet. Maybe in the next updates.

windows should accelerate internal display with OpenGL too

Am I missing something? How do you get OpenCL and Metal to just 'run' with a 1080 in an iMac? And how on earth do you make it accelerate internal display with OpenGL in windows? Ive spent the last day and a half trying to make mine work properly and I'm now almost certain with Apple's disabling of the iGPU in iMacs, as well as the fact that it's NVIDIA, means all of this is VERY hard unless you use a secondary monitor. 

I'm going to post now what I did on the channels Discord server - i apologise for the super long post and the fact that it's a repeat, but it should also show some of the struggles iMac+NVIDIA users have especially over MBpro users and eGPU+AMD users. 

Here goes: 

OK so: I have a 2017 iMac, a Sonnet Breakaway Box with an NVIDIA GTX1080i in it, connected via TB3. The iMac has aRadeon Pro 580 in it. My end goal is to utilise the power of the NVIDIA on the mac side for Adobe and video use, and on the WIndows (bootcamp) side for gaming. The other end goal is to do as much as possible on the built in display.

If it's ok, I just want to make sure I've gotten as 'far as I can' with current drivers/support etc. Firstly, the mac osx side of things: We have this https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/automate-egpu-sh-is-reborn-with-amd-polaris-fiji-support-for-macos/ which allows drivers etc, but doesn’t actually seem to enable the eGPU? As in, with a monitor HDMI -attached to the Breakaway box I have it stays black. But then if I use the eGPU enabler here: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/imac-egpu-simply-for-3d-accelleration/paged/1/ then I’m forced to use an external monitor just to log in. I just wondered if there was anything I was missing as I'm trying really hard to do this without an external monitor. I guess the best way is to use the eGPU enabler tool to at least get it working, and then to use a HDMI dongle with the Spectacle+DisableMonitor workaround so I don’t need an external display?

The home of this script is at GitHub: License:   General instructions (OS X 10.9.5 - macOS 10.12.* )   1)  Disable SIP (introduced in OS X E...

The alternative eGPU guide (macOS only)      Whom is it for? - Professionals and amateurs requiring compute power using NVIDIA eG...

Next OSX side question - I have installed the CUDA Drivers, but CUDA doesnt seem to be an option in After Effects, and even though it shows in Premier I'm convinced something isnt righ t about it as the performance is exactly the same as when OpenCL is enabled - the export time is also identical for both render methods. Now on the PC side, same thing again - all i want to do is to be able to use the eGPU to play games. I know I lose performance, but the card is so much better than the in build GPU that even with like, a 30% loss, it would still be better. iGPU enabling doesnt work (?) because apparently the iGPU in imacs is disabled. So currently the only way Ive made this work in bootcamp is by totally disabling the internal GPU (makes the iMac a black screen) and playing via an HDMI screen from the eGPU. Have I gone as far as possible in both instances? As in, can I do anything further to reach my goal of leveraging eGPU power on my mac on the internal display? And how on earth does one get Adobe products working properly with CUDA on OSX? Any help will be MUCh appreciated - sorry its a long post, but it helps to have a cenralised batch of questions, rather than me asking on about 10 different forum threads haha!

_ Incidentally I know a lot of these questions are being asked by quite a few people with iMacs - it seems EVERY instructional online is for a Macbook Pro. As great as that is, it doesn't help us out much XD

ReplyQuote