Setup & Software Discussions
(iMac Late 2013 Mojave) Gtx 950 With V8.0 EXP GDC Beast riser Not Recognised

(iMac Late 2013 Mojave) Gtx 950 With V8.0 EXP GDC Beast riser Not Recognised  

RSS

RomTa
(@romta)

I have a gtx 950 and a V8.0 EXP GDC beast riser.
both the gpu and the riser is connected to the Power supply(Psu)
The fan is working in both the psu and gpu and seems good and strong.
I tried connecting the riser to the iMac with usb to usb, and HDMI to TB (Thunderbolt 1).
In both ways, the iMac doesn't recognise the riser.
The script does not recognise the riser, nor the System Report in the iMac.
I am really stuck, and can't find explanation anywhere.
Please Help!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mr.ribeiro
(@mr-ribeiro)
Eminent Member

I think that script working only on TB ports, and i also think that Apple's devices eGPU is better on TB port same this being expensive and he is more easy to set up.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

@romta - What you are trying to do is impossible: Plain USB cannot work with eGPUs and neither can HDMI. Stop trying to connect random connectors together before you fry something.

The USB port on the GDC Beast is used to connect peripherals to the Beast, not to connect the Beast to the laptop - That won't do anything.

The "HDMI" port on the GDC Beast is not HDMI at all - It is a single PCIe lane in the form-factor of an HDMI cable. Do NOT connect it to an HDMI port. Do not connect it to a Thunderbolt port. At the best case it will do nothing. At the worst case it might fry something.

The GDC Beast is intended to be connected to a mPCIe, PCIe, m.2 or Expresscard slot depending on the cable variety. Connecting it to a Thunderbolt port won't let the system see the eGPU.

In short, you have a setup that cannot and will not work.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote