Setup & Software Discussions
[ISSUE] 2018 MacBook Pro running dual Core X enclosures (1080i + Titan X)

[ISSUE] 2018 MacBook Pro running dual Core X enclosures (1080i + Titan X)  

RSS

(@eric_del_greco)

First, this community is so fucking rad for building NVIDIA GPU solutions -- many thanks on behalf of countless 3D artists here in Los Angeles. 

Issue: I'm running a 2018 MBP (downgraded from Mojave to 10.13.6) with identical Core X enclosures containing NVIDIA 1080i & Titan X. Individually, each GPU is running flawlessly on the system via TB3. However, when both enclosures are plugged in to TB3 ports at the same time, the system only recognizes the first GPU to boot up. Hoping to get both of these cards recognized for additional power in Cinema 4D + Octane.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@eric_del_greco Welcome aboard! When I was testing multiple eGPUs on a 15″ TB3 MacBook Pro, I noticed some initialization issue when there are more than one Nvidia connected. What ended up working was a daisy-chain of Nvidia eGPUs behind AMD eGPUs. Take a look at this post. It was a proof of concept because the Nvidia web drivers were patched and not working. I would recommend trying a different mix of connecting the eGPUs. Worst case scenario you may need a dual Thunderbolt 3 port enclosure such as the AKiTiO Node Pro to run daisy-chain.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
KonstantinosD
(@konstantinosd)

Hello from me too!

I have the exact same problem!
I have a MacBook Pro 15 2018 with touchbar and 6 egpus, 3 akitio nodes and 3 akitio nodes pro (two tb3 connections for daisy chain). I have 3 titan x’s and 3 1080 ti’s. I have tried different configurations daisy chaining from one to three egpus, but no matter what it only recognizes the first type you plug. If I plug the1080 ti’s it will see them all, the same with the titans, but not together. I am using purgewrangler, with c4d and octane also, it all runs fine with high Sierra latest and latest nvidia and cuda drivers. Is there anything else I can try? Any suggestions on how to see them together? I’ll keep experimenting of course ..
Thanx for this super community!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@eric_del_greco)

@itsage thanks so much for the link — will experiment with an AMD eGPU setup to Trojan horse the NVIDIA's.

ReplyQuote