?Resolved?: Asus XG Station 2 + 2016 MacBook pro 15' cannot detect the eGPU with...

Notifications
Clear all

?Resolved?: Asus XG Station 2 + 2016 MacBook pro 15' cannot detect the eGPU with automate-eGPU.sh  

of  2
  RSS

iAstro
(@iastro)

ISSUE: Asus ROG XG Station 2 + 2016 macbook pro 15' + XFX RX480 4G / GTX 980Ti, cannot detect the eGPU with automate-eGPU.sh

Run the .sh follow instruction, but it report that cannot detect the eGPU. Could you please give me more instructions? or is it a issue of the XG Station 2? Thank you in advanced!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
madjester
(@veriestvarlet)
Eminent Member

Others likely know more but it's my understanding XFX cards have vBios that won't work as eGPUs (or in Hackintoshes I believe.)

Early 2015 13" MBP with Thunder2 RX 470 on Windows 10 and MacOS 10.1 (Formerly)

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Tablet 3rd Gen and 2070 RTX Aorus Gaming Box (Custom)
Web development, Video Editing, 2D + 3D animation

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

iAstro can you locate the Texas Instrument controller on the Thunderbolt 3 board of your Asus XG Station 2 and share that with us? My guess is this non-eGPU detected is due to the TI83 controller. I'm attaching a photo of what this controller chip looks like on the board.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
iAstro
(@iastro)

Posted by: veriestVarlet

Others likely know more but it's my understanding XFX cards have vBios that won't work as eGPUs (or in Hackintoshes I believe.)

I just tried the 980Ti, still cannot be detected.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

What if you skip DetectGPU function, re-run the script, and restart the Mac?

I recommend the same for Devil Box & Nvidia users.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
iAstro
(@iastro)

Posted by: itsage

iAstro can you locate the Texas Instrument controller on the Thunderbolt 3 board of your Asus XG Station 2 and share that with us? My guess is this non-eGPU detected is due to the TI83 controller. I'm attaching a photo of what this controller chip looks like on the board.

I cannot find out the TI83 controller, please refer to below photo.

WechatIMG47

ReplyQuote
iAstro
(@iastro)

WechatIMG45

ReplyQuote
fattymax
(@fattymax)

Posted by: goalque

What if you skip DetectGPU function, re-run the script, and restart the Mac?

I recommend the same for Devil Box & Nvidia users.

Could you tell a bit more on the way to skip DetectGPU function? Your script is automated. Thanks!

2015 13" MacBook Pro [5th,2C,U] + GTX 980 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core) + macOS 10.12.2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@aAstro thank you for posting the photos. We also learnt from another Asus ROG XG Station 2 user (jackeyjoe) this enclosure has the TI83 controller. This means you have to wait for Asus to release a Thunderbolt firmware upgrade.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Add a "#" character at the beginning of the lines 820-830 (works with Nvidia cards only).

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2