Issues since update to 11.4 - suggestions?

Notifications
Clear all

Issues since update to 11.4 - suggestions?  

RSS

Leovinus
(@leovinus)
Estimable Member

Hey all,

Since upgrading to 11.4 the other day my previously working eGPU setup completely unravelled. The eGPU keeps disconnecting in a never-ending loop if I set any program to use the eGPU as default with it plugged in. Once a program is set to use it it disconnects with an error report. The only solution for this I can think of is a reinstall of the OS.

Before any drastic measures are taken I thought I'd check with any of you to see wether there are any other steps I should take?

Otherwise I'm hoping all of you are having a great week. Summer is finally here and Covid is trending down, in general, across Europe. There is light in the tunnel as it were.

/Leovinus

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@leovinus, try SMC and NVRAM resets before attempting reinstall. Additionally make sure your TB wire isn't under too much stress/bent.

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

Leovinus liked
ReplyQuote
Leovinus
(@leovinus)
Estimable Member

@mac_editor, Will do! Thank you.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Leovinus
(@leovinus)
Estimable Member

Well, it seems as though the problem is a bit persistent unfortunately. I wonder, is it possible to wipe the Mac yet leave the boot camp partition intact? Or will it, too, be wiped out?

ReplyQuote
Leovinus
(@leovinus)
Estimable Member

Update: It seems I found the offending piece of crap software that was causing the incessant disconnects! If a mod the thread title thusly I would be grateful on behalf of all of those who come after me with the same problem.

"Issues since update to 11.4 - Answer = Quit Jabra Direct"

I installed the software as I got better Jabra headphones for working at home. Jabra Direct is a little sketchy, requiring boot up rights and admin approval to install with a reboot. It's obviously not the best software ever created. But turning it off before I turn on my eGPU has improved stability markedly (no disconnects of far). It wouldn't even let me start a browser before disconnecting before, and now I've started X-Plane, browser windows, maps, steam, etc. without a disconnect for oh... 15-20 minutes and counting.

It's not a scientific conclusion as I can't provide a software dump or direct line of proof. But the circumstantial Jabra Direct = Disconnect, No Jabra = Stability works for me.

I've had the same issue with Discord and consequently don't run that while the eGPU is on either.

I don't think it's an issue with 11.4 at all. It just happened that I installed the software right before upgrading.

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
Leovinus
(@leovinus)
Estimable Member

Aaaand I thought I'd furnish people with another update, in case someone stumbles on similar issues.

11.4 is by far the most unstable install I've ever encountered on Mac. As a remedy to this I'm going to wipe the drive (leaving the bootcamp partition alone, hopefully) and do a clean install. Thank goodness for external drives and iCloud. We shall see if the problems remain after that.

Not just the eGPU has been wonky, but Safari has become incredibly slow and resource intensive. The rendering of pages also breaks after a while, with white and black quarters of the screen showing and breaking a I move the cursor.

Generally the system is slow. Even keyboard input is slow after a while. It increasingly feels as though I'm running my computer on a dual core from 2011 (and I should know, I have one).

I pray to the dieties of the Apple-verse that a clean install will absolve me of these issues. Amen.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@leovinus

Did you recently re-locate your system components?

You might check your TB3 and DP cables for damage. 

(Also confirm both of your RAM modules still appear in the Memory profile of About This Mac)

The overall system slowdown you’re describing brings to mind a physical problem with a cable or hardware connection.

2018 Mac Mini + AMD RX 5500 XT (Sonnet Breakaway Box 650) Big Sur 11.5 + Windows 21H1

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Leovinus
(@leovinus)
Estimable Member

@mini-i5, I would have thought as you, but this is the case even when the eGPU unplugged. And all ram shows up (I thought the same at first). Firefox and the like are perfectly fine though compared to the native applications. It's just... really weird.

Been out for a drive all day though, so I'll have to push the fresh reinstall to tomorrow. I certainly hope that solves it. If it's more serious then that then there is a hardware fault somewhere, and I don't know where to begin in diagnosing those on a Mac. But... It's worked flawlessly (aside from some odd eGPU niggles common to everyone else really) since I got it a year ago (Has it been longer? I don't remember. Covid is messing with my sense of time).

I hope you all are having a nice weekend!

ReplyQuote