Laggy MacBook Pro 15" 2017 + Sonnet Breakaway Box 550w + Nvidia Geforce 1080ti

Notifications
Clear all

Laggy MacBook Pro 15" 2017 + Sonnet Breakaway Box 550w + Nvidia Geforce 1080ti  

RSS

nrly
 nrly
(@nrly)

Hi guys, first post here after delving into the world of Mac EGPU set up.

I've just got a Sonnet Breakaway 550w with Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080ti graphics card that I'm trying to get up and running with my Macbook 15" 2017 (High Sierra 10.13.6).

I've run the learex script and everything seemed to go fine, however after booting up with the EGPU connected to my Samsung external monitor via HDMI I can see that it is running from the Nvidia GFX card but it's really laggy, I'm hoping to get up and running with C4D and Octane but I can't barely access system preferences let alone any complex software.

Has anyone had any experience with a similar set up or have any pointers?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
nrly
 nrly
(@nrly)

Update: after doing a fresh install and re-running the Learex script I've now got my set up working really nicely. I've found the tips in regards to black screen / poor ui performance have helped. It seems to work best when I hot plug after logging in, wait 10s log out then back in and close my Macbook lid to shut off the internal display.

If anyone has any questions about this set-up just shoot.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote