Setup & Software Discussions
Late 2013 Mac Pro - eGPU box with Nvidia Titan XP - is it worth it?

Late 2013 Mac Pro - eGPU box with Nvidia Titan XP - is it worth it?  

RSS

(@brendan_s)

Hello! Quick question from a relative newbie to eGPUS: I have a late 2013 Mac Pro which I am using for Cinema4D renders and 8K video exporting. I am considering buying a Bizon Box with an Nvidia Titan XP card. Because I will be going through a TB2 connection, I am wondering if the investment in box and card (approx $1600) is even worth it with regards to the TB2 throttling transfer speeds?

Should I essentially give up on the MP and use a newer laptop or go the way of a Windows machine?

Thank you in advance, I am a little lost and any and all help would be most appreciated! 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member

eGPU is definitely worth it.  I'd avoid Bizon based on price and other factors (do a search).

Buyer’s Guide  

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

Yukikaze liked
ReplyQuote
(@brendan_s)

Thanks for your reply Flint. I suppose my question is, does the TB2 bandwith limitation on my MacPro mean I should just get a new computer with TB3/USBC?

Currently, my MacPro has an AMD Firepro D500 3GB 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
natemac00
(@natemac00)
Eminent Member

I render with cinema 4d and octane on a Mac pro 2013 & a box with a 980ti. I get the same benchmark scores on our render slave pc running a 980ti.

3D Cinema 4D/Octane Artist
Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Gaming Box w/ TB2to3 Adapter
2013 Mac Pro
2014 MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member

http://barefeats.com/egpu_pascal2.html

http://barefeats.com/nMP_breakaway.html

http://barefeats.com/nmp2013node.html

http://barefeats.com/tube21.html

http://barefeats.com/nv_egpu_hic.html

It's definitely a huge improvement over stock, especially if you double up on eGPU.

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
(@brendan_s)

Thank you for your help!

ReplyQuote
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member

More signs that Apple may have removed / intend to remove support for the MacPro6,1 (2013 model). Sonnet is listing on their support site that the 6,1 is no longer supported. The info below is excerpted from the description of their latest Mac manual (in theory this information should apply to other eGPUs as well, assuming Apple's software really is hardware agnostic):

"Check that you have a Macintosh compatible with select external AMD Graphics cards. All Thunderbolt 3 Macs (latest MacBook Pros and iMacs) are compatible with external graphics.This includes:
• iMacs 2017 models 18,1-18,3 Compatible
MacBook Pro 2016 models 13,1-13,3 Compatible
MacBook Pro 2017 models 14,1-14,3 Compatible

As of macOS 10.13.1, most Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt Macs are compatible with select external AMD graphics cards. With a Thunderbolt 2 cable and an Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 3 Adapter, Sonnet additionally supports the following Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt Macs. (This Adapter is reversable and will also work from a Thunderbolt 2 Mac to a Thunderbolt 3 peripheral.)

iMac (with Intel or AMD Graphics) Late 2013-Late 2015 14,1-17,1 Compatible
iMac (with NVIDIA Graphics) Late 2012-Late 2013 13,1-14,2 Incompatible
Mac mini (with Intel Graphics) Mid 2011-Late 2015 5,1- 7,1 Compatible
Mac mini (with AMD HD 6630M Graphics) Mid 2011 5,1- 5,2 Incompatible
Mac Pro Late 2013 6,1 Incompatible
MacBook Pro (with Intel or AMD Graphics) Early 2011-Early 2015 8,1-12,1 Compatible
MacBook Pro (with NVIDA Graphics) Mid 2012-Late 2013 9,2-11,2 Incompatible "

Thunderbolt 3 Macs, Sonnet and OWC eGPUs, 4K Displays, etc

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member

^^ 6,1 incompatible is just the final kick in the teeth.  Apple best make sure there's at least one supported eGPU configuration come Spring 2018, or I predict class action lawsuit.

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

In macOS High Sierra, I have success using R9 285, RX 480, RX Vega 56, and Radeon Vega FE with the nMP. I hope Apple won’t intentionally remove eGPU compatibility for the nMP.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
macsonny
(@macsonny)

How do you "Double up on eGPU"?

ReplyQuote
randymills
(@randymills)

@brendan_s  To answer your initial question, YES, it is worth it.  I purchased a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550 with a Titan XP and have been successfully running it on my nMP over the last month.  I also have the Sonnet Dev Edition with an AMD RX 580, but I can't have them both connected at the same time, could be an issue with Sierra.  If you do go this route, my best experience has been using Sierra 10.12.6.  I was using the early High Sierra betas and had all kinds of issues and then it seems that support for TB2 dropped completely, so I did a clean install of Sierra and have been up and running on C4D and Redshift ever since.  I want to purchase an additional eGFX / Titan XP setup, but I'm reading that Sierra has problems connecting multiple eGPUs atm.  I can get my setup to work about 1% of the time...not worth it.  If I figure out how to get it working I will definitely post something.

Here is my post asking about using multiple eGPUs:  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/use-both-sonnet-egpu-radeon-rx-580-dev-ed-and-sonnet-egpu-titan-xp-on-mac-pro/

My current specs:

macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
2.7GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
AMD FirePro D700 x 2
eGPU Sonnet Dev Ed / Radeon Sapphire RX 580 (TB3 > TB2)
eGPU Sonnet 550 / Titan XP (TB3 > TB2)

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member

One Stop Systems Cube 2 and Cube 3 also work.  My clients are doing computation, so bandwidth isn't an issue.

https://www.onestopsystems.com/desktop-pcie-enclosures

These systems will crunch for weeks at a time - haven't heard about any issues restarting, etc. (but maybe they haven't yet).

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
daemonix
(@daemonix)

Hi,
i have a similar macpro too (12core) and reading around this forum Im thinking of getting a gigabyte box. 
Do you think that the setup with TB2 can push an 1080 close to the limit or even a 1070 will do great?

im thinking that TB2 will be the bottleneck not CPU or something.
cheers

ReplyQuote
amber
(@amber)

Hi,  Like Brendon I am new to the eGPU world and trying to get my head around all the information. Currently running Nuke on late 2013 MacPro (8 core), AMD FirePro D700 - MacOS Mojave. (10.14.5). Predominantly working with 4K and running into some rendering issues which look to be GPU related. Currently considering all options but eGPU could get some more life out of this machine. From what I have been reading I should be able to get T2 to work with a converter and then a patch, is that correct? Are the eGPUs relatively easy to install for the more technically challenged?  Are there limited options for eGPUs that can be used with a Thunderbolt converter?  And finally I'm wondering if the news of Apple deprecating OpenGL and Open CL in future Mojave updates is a factor here? 

Any and all input/suggestions very much appreciated - thank you!

ReplyQuote