Setup & Software Discussions
Late 2013 Mac Pro setup issues - MacOS 10.12.3

Late 2013 Mac Pro setup issues - MacOS 10.12.3  

RSS

Thiney
(@thiney)

Hello all

I'm trying to set up an eGPU for my 2013 Mac Pro to run CUDA applications on, using an Nvidia 960 in a PowerCooler Devil Box, and am having problems. When I run the script as described, I get that the Thunderbolt device is connceted, but the GPU is not detected. Any suggestions?

SIP is disabled, Boot Rom Version is MP61.0116.B21, Devil Box is connected to TB Port 5 via TB3 -> TB2 adapter and a TB2 cable.

Thanks

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

What’s the name of your Devil Box in System Information > Thunderbolt? I’ve read these Devil Box enclosures came with two different firmwares. The older firmware has much better compatibility than the newer.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

ReplyQuote
Thiney
(@thiney)

Here's the information given. It looks like it's version 23.1.

Screen Shot 2017 01 30 at 11.50.04 AM

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The TUL TB3 board I have behaves the same way as your Devil Box. I’ll check the firmware version and report back later today.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

ReplyQuote
Thiney
(@thiney)

Interesting. From that thread, using both

ioreg -l | grep de10

and

system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType

seem to indicate that macOS isn't recognizing the card, as suspected there.

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: Thiney

Here’s the information given. It looks like it’s version 23.1.

@Thiney, unfortunately you have a problematic Devil Box.

From https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/5pde9h/alert_does_not_work_powercolor_devil_box_dell_xps/ we see there are two different versions of the unit:

"TUL, DEVILBOX" (~Jan 2017) - problem with eGPU recognition
"TUL Thunderbolt 3, DSL6540" (~Oct-Nov 2016) - works with many systems

In same thread we are advised Powercolor are working on fixing the detection problems with the first unit above.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

ReplyQuote
Thiney
(@thiney)

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm stuck waiting on Powercooler for an update.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Daelin
(@daelin)
Trusted Member

well, at least after fiddling around with my fresh devil box and the RX 480, this thread tells me its not my clumsiness...

i can't detect the graphic card neither on macos or windows with my macbook pro 15" late 2013.

since you have the same version of the devilbox: does your power supply make the same summing sound with small "cracks" in it? sounds cheep or defect to me...

MacBook Pro 15" 2017, AMD RP560
Devil Box + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Bricked thanks to rEFInd:
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013, GT 750M

ReplyQuote
Thiney
(@thiney)

@Daelin

The PSU in mine does make a little noise/hum by itself (when it's turned on without being plugged in, the fans are off, so all I can here is the PSU), but it's not really loud and doesn't make any cracking noises. There may be something wrong with yours if it's cracking.

Daelin liked
ReplyQuote
Daelin
(@daelin)
Trusted Member

EDIT: what i have wrot exists alread here:  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/nvidia-gtx-1080-with-powercolor-devil-box-bootcamp-over-tb3-tb2-adapter-on-2015-imac-5k/#post-3521

there are good and bad news regarding this issue:

the good: the firmware update is available unoffically here:  https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/5w2npj/fresh_devilbox_firmware_update/

the bad: it is not working with TB2 <-> TB3 adapter...

as someone else describes in reddit when trying to install the update an error message appers: "Error: 0x208 SDK_SERVICE_NOT_FOUND Thunderbolt(TM) service doesn't exist". i also tried to install the TB drivers for windows 8.1 (on win 10) but then another error message appers when trying to install the update. "Thunderbolt(TM) software is not installed. Pleas install the Thunderbolt(TM) software and run the tool again.

has anyone an idea how to handle this? the only idea remaining to me, is to find someone owning a native TB3 device and install the firmware with it...

is there someone who can try this on a new macbook pro, i think it would be the easiest to me finding someone with this device

MacBook Pro 15" 2017, AMD RP560
Devil Box + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Bricked thanks to rEFInd:
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013, GT 750M

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

Hi @Daelin, I have a late 2016 13" MBP+TB. I get the same errors when trying to upgrade the firmware on my Akitio Node. Even after installing the intel thunderbolt drivers, I still get a new error saying no thunderbolt device detected.

I can only presume it's a bootcamp thing, because clearly it knows about the thunderbolt devices otherwise it wouldn't work. 

late-2017 27" iMac Pro RPVega64 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + MacOS 10.13.2
late-2014 27" iMac 5k R9 M295X + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
itsmikerofl
(@itsmikerofl)
Trusted Member

Posted by: nando4

Posted by: Thiney

Here's the information given. It looks like it's version 23.1.

@Thiney, unfortunately you have a problematic Devil Box.

From https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/5pde9h/alert_does_not_work_powercolor_devil_box_dell_xps/ we see there are two different versions of the unit:

"TUL, DEVILBOX" (~Jan 2017) - problem with eGPU recognition
"TUL Thunderbolt 3, DSL6540" (~Oct-Nov 2016) - works with many systems

In same thread we are advised Powercolor are working on fixing the detection problems with the first unit above.

I have one of the January 2017 Devil Box, that I'm having trouble applying the just-released Thunderbolt firmware update to.

Firmware version in System Report -> Thunderbolt:

http://imgur.com/a/0qqN7

Firmware reported at version 28.1.

For what it's worth, I'm on a 2015 iMac 5K 27", connecting the Devil Box over an Apple Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

ReplyQuote
t@tproductions.tv
(@ttproductions-tv)

Hello guys,

I just subscribed to the forum so pls forgive me if my questions might sound out of context or if the answer is some where on the forum. I have a late 2013 mac pro with 12 cores xeon E5 v2 processors. I've recently bought the ASUS XG2 and a Nvidia titan xp. I've installed bootcamp and tried installing the intel Thunderbolt™ Bus Driver for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK Version: 16.2.55.275.

The system is not recognizing the thunderbolt connection and giving me an error message that says "try to improve your USBc connection. In the device manager I see my thunderbolt 2 connected hard drives but they don't appear as accessible drives on the windows explorer also the Asus enclosure does not appear in the device manager at all.

I am not sure what I am missing in order to get my thunderbolt buses working  and recognize all the thunderbolt accessories.

Thanks for your help in advance.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@Taimour is the Titan Xp recognised under macOS? What Thunderbolt firmware is reported in macOS for your XG Station 2? The latest V25 XG Station firmware improves compatibility (ie: allows Windows detection of non-eGFX certified hardware) but be aware that you require a Thunderbolt3 host to update your XG Station 2 with. Here’s where to get that V25 firmware:

https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/ROG%20XG%20STATION%202/HelpDesk_download

ReplyQuote
t@tproductions.tv
(@ttproductions-tv)

Thanks for the answer.

I had tried running the goalque automate egpu script before installing the bootcamp and it could not detect the egpu at all. so after doing some research I realized i needed to update the firmware of the enclosure to v25 but first the needed to install bootcamp and try to get windows to see the asus xg2 station so that I can update the firmware on the asus. the system is not seeing my asus xg2 and whenever I attempt to update the firmware I get a message that says no asus xg2 is attached or there is no thunderbolt ™ software on the system as per the attached. the weird thing is that when I boot the system I get a message that says the asus XG2 is connected but not graphics card detected. it also shows in the bottom right hidden notifications area as per the attached.

Screenshot 2017 08 13 15.44.59
Screenshot 2017 08 13 15.41.05

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@Taimour, a Thunderbolt3 host is required to updated the XG Station2 firmware. You cannot do it with your Thunderbolt2 Mac Pro.

ReplyQuote
t@tproductions.tv
(@ttproductions-tv)

Alright @nando4 so If I update the software with a thunderbolt 3 device it will then be recognized on my thunderbolt 2 mac pro? Also what if update the firmware using a USB 3 cable would that work?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@Taimour The late-2013 Mac Pro is unique in that the Apple firmware may prevent eGPU in Bootcamp. What’s the Boot ROM currently in your nMP?

ReplyQuote
t@tproductions.tv
(@ttproductions-tv)

Screenshot 2017 08 13 17.23.06

above is boot rom and more system info.

thx a lot

ReplyQuote