Late 2013 MacBook Pro (w/ GT750M) freezes on Boot with eGPU  

RSS

Maimberis
(@maimberis)
August 26, 2017 4:15 am  

I have been following this topic from Matthieuv here

I am trying to get the eGPU to work in Bootcamp.

Basically the Mac will freeze as soon as I plug in an eGPU when I am in rEFInd or Apple's boot selection menu via the Option key. Also if the eGPU is plugged in before turning on the MacBook, it turns on and stays on a black screen indefinitely. Any ideas as to how to stop it from freezing?

The crazy thing is that the first time I followed Matthieuv's directions on the forum post, I was able to get to the first paragraph of step 5. upon that reboot it failed to boot. Before the reboot I was able to see in device manager the GTX1060. Since then, it has not worked.

Results I have gotten so far:

Hot plugging the eGPU as soon as windows starts booting results in Windows booting without issues but no eGPU.

Also I am able to boot into macOS with the eGPU with the ./automate-eGPU.sh -a command and it will allow me to boot into macOS with the eGPU recognized and works as expected. (although running this command then booting up into windows results in no eGPU detected)

My setup:

• MacBook Pro late 2013 2.6GHz, GT750M
  • Windows 10, Anniversary update (build 1706 I think) UEFI install and it does have the BootCamp drivers that are auto installed when installing windows via BootCamp USB.
  • SonetTech eGFX 300w
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, 06G-P4-6163-KR, 6GB GDDR5, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan)

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member
August 26, 2017 9:37 am  

I also had the same problems at the beginning. Plug the eGPU at the startup chime, i.e. follow my booting procedure. It works 100% of the time for me (until now 😉 )...

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2014-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx106016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win10/

Be sure to run integrated.bat before restarting if you'll plug your eGPU at the next start...

If it doesn't solve the problem, I would recommend to install the Creators update (if you have nothing against it 😉 ). Just don't forget to disable fast startup mode once you have it installed...

2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

ReplyQuote