Late 2015 iMac, Catalina problems with eGPU GTX 1070 Ti

Notifications
Clear all

Late 2015 iMac, Catalina problems with eGPU GTX 1070 Ti  

RSS

Tanker-AFK
(@tanker-afk)

I am using late 2015 iMac with a Retina, 4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 32 GB DDR3 RAM, Graphics - AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB.

The eGPU enclosure is ASUS XG Station + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Duke 8 GB.

I have purchased Thunderbolt 2 cable, adapter Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2.

Used purge-wrangler's script. Disabled SIP. While installing the script, it got stuck where it says "patching Nvidia eGPUs....". Please note that the Thunderbolt cable was plugged in. Waited for half an hour and then restarted the iMac. Used the script, but this time did not plug the Thunderbolt cable and followed the steps, chose NVIDIA, but did not install the drivers, rebooted and installed NVIDIA latest drivers.

My problem is

- I do not see the eGPU icon in the menu.

- In system information: Thunderbolt sees the ASUSTek XG Station Pro, speed up to 20 Gb/s

Graphics/Displays is sees two 1. AMD Radeon R9 m395x and 2. GTX 1070 Ti.

I do not know what to do next. Does anyone have any idea how get this set-up work? I do not use Bootcamp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and be donated using paypal.

Thanks you,

Tanker-AFK

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member

I haven’t tinkered with eGPU in a while (only use supported configurations or known stable hacks), but I’m pretty sure the 1070 Ti is your problem. No Pascal drivers for MacOS.

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
Tanker-AFK
(@tanker-afk)

Posted by: @flint-ironstag

I haven’t tinkered with eGPU in a while (only use supported configurations or known stable hacks), but I’m pretty sure the 1070 Ti is your problem. No Pascal drivers for MacOS.

Thank you very much for your the help, flint-ironstag. I completely forgot to update the os to High Sierra, I automatically upgraded to Catalina, when I saw it was possible. I will try with High Sierra, if that does not help then Good Buy Gtx 1070 Ti.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member

You’re welcome, but the Pascal series forward are unsupported.  There are no Pascal (GTX 1070, 1080, etc) drivers for MacOS.

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@flint-ironstag, there are Pascal drivers for High Sierra (Nvidia web drivers and Cuda) which is why @Tanker-AFK is going back to High Sierra. Question then is, does eGPU work with High Sierra. I think so?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @joevt

Question then is, does eGPU work with High Sierra.

Yes - should work fine.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member

@joevt, Wow, I had completely forgotten about that!  Sorry OP, listen to the professionals! 

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
Tanker-AFK
(@tanker-afk)

Dear flint-ironstag, mac_editor and joevt,

Thank you very much for your help!

I will try this evening and update accordingly.

Sincerely,

Tanker-AFK

ReplyQuote
Tanker-AFK
(@tanker-afk)

I was able to downgrade the os to High Sierra.

Used purge-wrangler’s script. The system info showed both cards and metal support. Enclosure was also recognized. In the Activity monitor - GPU history showed both cards. When I tried to use an app to test, I saw it was only using the iMac’s GPU, there was some jerking on GTX 1070 Ti history monitoring, but not significant. Then I used set-eGPU script. First chose to use eGPU for all apps, nothing changed, then tried to use it for specified apps only. Still no success.

ReplyQuote