LG Ultrafine 5K+1080Ti=Awful Performance (Game Benchmarks)  

Page 3 / 3 Prev

kevmo
(@kevmo)
July 30, 2018 9:21 am  

Would the following setup work to just get a working display (not caring for USB, audio, etc)?

1. Connect Macbook Pro to EGPU using Thunderbolt 3 Cable.
  2. Connect EGPU to GC-Alpine Ridge (using two Display Port cables to the DP IN1 and DP IN2)
  3. Connect GC-Alpine Ridge to LG Ultrafine 5K using Thunderbolt 3

Or would this only work for an LG Ultrafine 4K?

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Estimable Member
July 30, 2018 10:44 am  
Posted by: kevmo

Would the following setup work to just get a working display (not caring for USB, audio, etc)?

1. Connect Macbook Pro to EGPU using Thunderbolt 3 Cable.
  2. Connect EGPU to GC-Alpine Ridge (using two Display Port cables to the DP IN1 and DP IN2)
  3. Connect GC-Alpine Ridge to LG Ultrafine 5K using Thunderbolt 3

Or would this only work for an LG Ultrafine 4K?

It could work for two 4K or one 5K. You need to put the GC-ALPINE RIDGE in a PCIe slot of a computer, a Thunderbolt 3 PCIe expansion box, or in a riser. The GC-ALPINE RIDGE might not turn on in some risers unless the riser is connected to a PCIe slot (via USB cable). I had a problem with a 1x to 16x riser when it wasn't connected to a PCIe slot. The GC-ALPINE RIDGE would start when I connected the riser to a PCIe slot, and it would continue to work when I disconnected the riser from the PCIe slot. I didn't have that problem with the IT-GO ADP-099-31 dual 16x riser and it has an enclosure. I did not need to connect the IT-GO to a PCIe slot. You could put two GC-ALPINE RIDGE in the IT-GO to support double the displays.

I did not try with a Thunderbolt display or USB-C display. I tried Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter and USB-C display adapters. Other people have successfully tried Thunderbolt and USB-C displays. Brightness control might work with an app that can send DDC/CI commands over DisplayPort.

ReplyQuote
kevmo
(@kevmo)
July 30, 2018 11:21 am  

Yep, I was looking at just getting one Ultrafine 5k hooked up for now. I guess it might be a good idea to pickup two Alpine Ridges anyway if I want another one in the future. I will be looking to get the IT-GO ADP-099-31 then. Seems like the easiest solution. Well, other than finding a couple of Dell UP2715K monitors 🙂

ReplyQuote
JohnyS
(@johnys)
July 30, 2018 3:05 pm  

Someone use new Blackmagic eGPU witch LG 5K connected to it?

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Estimable Member
July 30, 2018 5:08 pm  
Posted by: JohnyS

Someone use new Blackmagic eGPU witch LG 5K connected to it?

Yes. Read the Blackmagic eGPU threads on this website for examples. Unlike other eGPU's, the Thunderbolt 3 controller in the Blackmagic eGPU has its DisplayPort inputs connected to the eGPU's GPU, so that displays connected to the Blackmagic eGPU Thunderbolt 3 port or driven by the eGPU's GPU (just like the Blackmagic's HDMI 2.0 port) instead of the computer's dGPU.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 30, 2018 5:18 pm  

When the AKiTiO Node Duo arrives, I will pair a Gigabyte Alpine Ridge AIC in one PCIe slot and RX 580 mini-ITX in another to build an eGPU with Thunderbolt 3 monitor output.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

66 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Prominent Member
July 30, 2018 6:24 pm  

With the latest Mojave beta this might become a non issue... (head over to the Beta thread).

@itsage look forward to seeing that!

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + GTX1060@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Estimable Member
July 30, 2018 8:06 pm  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

With the latest Mojave beta this might become a non issue...

Definitely not. The point of connecting a display to a GPU is so that graphics don't need to be transmitted over Thunderbolt which causes the performance penalty that you see when you use a eGPU to accelerate a game played on the internal display (since the internal display or any display connected to a Thunderbolt port is connected to the dGPU - except the Thunderbolt port of a Blackmagic eGPU).

The Mojave beta change is just a UI option to replace what the existing script does.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3 Prev