LG Ultrafine 5K+1080Ti=Awful Performance (Game Benchmarks)  

Page 3 / 3 Prev
  RSS

kevmo
(@kevmo)
July 30, 2018 9:21 am  

Would the following setup work to just get a working display (not caring for USB, audio, etc)?

1. Connect Macbook Pro to EGPU using Thunderbolt 3 Cable.
  2. Connect EGPU to GC-Alpine Ridge (using two Display Port cables to the DP IN1 and DP IN2)
  3. Connect GC-Alpine Ridge to LG Ultrafine 5K using Thunderbolt 3

Or would this only work for an LG Ultrafine 4K?

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Estimable Member
July 30, 2018 10:44 am  
Posted by: kevmo

Would the following setup work to just get a working display (not caring for USB, audio, etc)?

1. Connect Macbook Pro to EGPU using Thunderbolt 3 Cable.
  2. Connect EGPU to GC-Alpine Ridge (using two Display Port cables to the DP IN1 and DP IN2)
  3. Connect GC-Alpine Ridge to LG Ultrafine 5K using Thunderbolt 3

Or would this only work for an LG Ultrafine 4K?

It could work for two 4K or one 5K. You need to put the GC-ALPINE RIDGE in a PCIe slot of a computer, a Thunderbolt 3 PCIe expansion box, or in a riser. The GC-ALPINE RIDGE might not turn on in some risers unless the riser is connected to a PCIe slot (via USB cable). I had a problem with a 1x to 16x riser when it wasn't connected to a PCIe slot. The GC-ALPINE RIDGE would start when I connected the riser to a PCIe slot, and it would continue to work when I disconnected the riser from the PCIe slot. I didn't have that problem with the IT-GO ADP-099-31 dual 16x riser and it has an enclosure. I did not need to connect the IT-GO to a PCIe slot. You could put two GC-ALPINE RIDGE in the IT-GO to support double the displays.

I did not try with a Thunderbolt display or USB-C display. I tried Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter and USB-C display adapters. Other people have successfully tried Thunderbolt and USB-C displays. Brightness control might work with an app that can send DDC/CI commands over DisplayPort.

ReplyQuote
kevmo
(@kevmo)
July 30, 2018 11:21 am  

Yep, I was looking at just getting one Ultrafine 5k hooked up for now. I guess it might be a good idea to pickup two Alpine Ridges anyway if I want another one in the future. I will be looking to get the IT-GO ADP-099-31 then. Seems like the easiest solution. Well, other than finding a couple of Dell UP2715K monitors 🙂

ReplyQuote
JohnyS
(@johnys)
July 30, 2018 3:05 pm  

Someone use new Blackmagic eGPU witch LG 5K connected to it?

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Estimable Member
July 30, 2018 5:08 pm  
Posted by: JohnyS

Someone use new Blackmagic eGPU witch LG 5K connected to it?

Yes. Read the Blackmagic eGPU threads on this website for examples. Unlike other eGPU's, the Thunderbolt 3 controller in the Blackmagic eGPU has its DisplayPort inputs connected to the eGPU's GPU, so that displays connected to the Blackmagic eGPU Thunderbolt 3 port or driven by the eGPU's GPU (just like the Blackmagic's HDMI 2.0 port) instead of the computer's dGPU.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 30, 2018 5:18 pm  

When the AKiTiO Node Duo arrives, I will pair a Gigabyte Alpine Ridge AIC in one PCIe slot and RX 580 mini-ITX in another to build an eGPU with Thunderbolt 3 monitor output.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

74 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Prominent Member
July 30, 2018 6:24 pm  

With the latest Mojave beta this might become a non issue... (head over to the Beta thread).

@itsage look forward to seeing that!

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Estimable Member
July 30, 2018 8:06 pm  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

With the latest Mojave beta this might become a non issue...

Definitely not. The point of connecting a display to a GPU is so that graphics don't need to be transmitted over Thunderbolt which causes the performance penalty that you see when you use a eGPU to accelerate a game played on the internal display (since the internal display or any display connected to a Thunderbolt port is connected to the dGPU - except the Thunderbolt port of a Blackmagic eGPU).

The Mojave beta change is just a UI option to replace what the existing script does.

ReplyQuote
zhoudan
(@zhoudan)
September 18, 2018 5:02 am  

Hi joevt, I just got a new 15' MacBook Pro 2108 and an LG Ultrafine 5k, which are pretty cool. But the gaming performance is really poor. So I want to improve it with an eGPU. After read a lot of your posts, I decide to use Razer Core X with Gigabyte GC-ALPINE-Ridge card to drive an RX Vega64. And to bootstrap the Alpine-ridge card, I built a small PC with Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H DDR3 mother board and an Core i3 6300 CPU. I run Windows 10 on it.

The entire process went very smooth, the MBP recognized RX Vega 64 immediately, the two DP output are combined by ALPINE-Ridge, and finally the ALPINE-Ridge lit the Ultrafine 5k, with full resolution of 5120x2880. The only flaw is that MBP cannot use the speaker, microphone and camera of the display, I understand it's because LG put those on USB, no big deal. The interesting thing is that the windows 10 recognized those device when I plug the TB3 cable into the Alpine Ridge, and installed drivers for them automatically. So the display now plays the game image from MacBook Proc, but playing the sound of Windows. Those are all understandable.

As there's still another TB3 port on the Alpine Ridge, so I begin to wonder if I can drive the eGPU with the small i3 PC too, if it does, I might be able to play some game on windows too. So I pull out the TB3 cable from MBP and plug it into the second TB3 port of Alpine Ridge. Windows told me new hardware found and started the driver installing process, it automatically downloaded AMD driver, but eventually, it told me the driver installation failed. I open up the device manager and found that the RX Vega series display card present, but with as small question mark beside its icon, indicating it's not working. So I went to the AMD site and downloaded the latest driver and installed it. The installation succeeded and prompted me to reboot. Unfortunately, after the reboot, the device still won't work. I tried re-plug/unplug cable, tweak bios setting, switch TB3 port, but got just the same result, the windows seems found the external Vega 64 and installed the driver, but just cannot make the card work.

So I would like to seek some advice from you, is there anything I did wrong or is the Alpine-Ridge just incapable to drive an eGPU? Thanks in advance and looking forward to you reply.

zhoudan

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Estimable Member
September 18, 2018 9:35 am  
Posted by: zhoudan

As there's still another TB3 port on the Alpine Ridge, so I begin to wonder if I can drive the eGPU with the small i3 PC too, if it does, I might be able to play some game on windows too. So I pull out the TB3 cable from MBP and plug it into the second TB3 port of Alpine Ridge. Windows told me new hardware found and started the driver installing process, it automatically downloaded AMD driver, but eventually, it told me the driver installation failed. I open up the device manager and found that the RX Vega series display card present, but with as small question mark beside its icon, indicating it's not working. So I went to the AMD site and downloaded the latest driver and installed it. The installation succeeded and prompted me to reboot. Unfortunately, after the reboot, the device still won't work. I tried re-plug/unplug cable, tweak bios setting, switch TB3 port, but got just the same result, the windows seems found the external Vega 64 and installed the driver, but just cannot make the card work.

So I would like to seek some advice from you, is there anything I did wrong or is the Alpine-Ridge just incapable to drive an eGPU? Thanks in advance and looking forward to you reply.

Let me summarize: you were able to get the GC-ALPINE RIDGE in the GA-H170M-D3H to work with the LG UltraFine 5K display. Both PCIe and DisplayPort functionality worked (you were able to see an image and hear audio). You were able to get the eGPU to work with the MacBook Pro. Now you want to get the eGPU to work with the GA-H170M-D3H.

The support page for GA-H170M-D3H does not mention Thunderbolt drivers or maybe I can't find it. Did you install Intel Thunderbolt software from somewhere?

Did you try disconnecting the LG UltraFine 5K and using a normal display with the eGPU? I wonder if there is an issue with using both Thunderbolt 3 ports or connecting more than one Thunderbolt 3 device.

Do you have any other Thunderbolt 3 devices to test?

Does hot swapping a Thunderbolt 3 device or the LG UltraFine 5K work? In other words, the computer doesn't crash when the device is disconnected, and the Device Manager shows that the device disappears, and reconnecting the device causes the device to reappear in the Device Manage, and to be usable again?

The manual for GA-H170M-D3H does not mention Thunderbolt BIOS options. Are there Thunderbolt options in the BIOS? What are they? I downloaded the BIOS and it seems there is Thunderbolt stuff in there but a screen shot would help to show which options are actually visible.

Here's a list of the BIOS options (I don't know if they all do something or what they all do, especially the hidden ones. I copied these manually so I may have gotten some of it wrong):

Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration
	Thunderbolt(TM) Support (Enabled)
		Thunderbolt Boot Support (Enabled)
		ThunderBolt Detachable Graphics Support (Enabled)
			Reseved Bus for Dgpu (Default: 8)
			Reseved Memory for Dgpu (Default: 32)
			Reserved PMemory for Dgpu (Default: 256)
			Select card for Egfx (use AMD dgpu or AMD/NVIDA both dgpu)
		Skip PCI OptionRom
		Security Level (Default: User Authorization)
		Reseved Memory (Default: 256)
		Reserved PMemory (Default: 32)

Hidden options:
		Thunderbolt(TM) PCIe Support (hidden)
		Thunderbolt Usb Support (hidden)
		AIC Support (Default: Disabled)
			AIC Location Group
				CPU0 NB PCIE Slot options (Device/Function of slot):
					NB PCIE D01F0
					NB PCIE D01F1
					NB PCIE D01F2

SB PCIE Slot options (Device/Function of slot):
					SB PCIE D28F0
					SB PCIE D28F1
					SB PCIE D28F2
					SB PCIE D28F3
					SB PCIE D28F4
					SB PCIE D28F5
					SB PCIE D28F6
					SB PCIE D28F7
					SB PCIE D29F0
					SB PCIE D29F1
					SB PCIE D29F2
					SB PCIE D29F3
					---
					SB PCIE D29F4
					SB PCIE D29F5
					SB PCIE D29F6
					SB PCIE D29F7
					SB PCIE D27F0
					SB PCIE D27F1
					SB PCIE D27F2
					SB PCIE D27F3
					SB PCIE D27F4
					SB PCIE D27F5
					SB PCIE D27F6
					SB PCIE D27F7

AR AIC Support (Default: Disabled)
		Wake From Thunderbolt(TM) Devices
		Thunderbolt(TM) PCIe Cache-line Size (Default: 32)
		GPIO3 Force Pwr
		Wait time in ms after applying Force Pwr (Default: 200)
		Skip PCI enumeration (Default: Enabled)
		Call pre boot Smi handler (Default: Reset and Enumerate Host router)
		Reserve mem per phy slot
		Reserve P mem per phy slot
		Reserve IO per phy slot
		Assign IO
		Native OS Hot Plug
		SW SMI on TBT hot-plug (Default: Enabled)
		GPIO filter (Default: Enabled)
		ACPI Notify on TBT Hot-plug (Default: Enabled)
		MSI enabled in FADT (Default: Enabled)
		Enable CLK REQ (Default: Disabled)
		Enable ASPM (Default: Disabled)
		Enable LTR (Default: Disabled)
		AIC Location (Default: Thunderbolt AIC Location)
		TBT Host Router (Default: One port) 
		Extra Bus Reserved (Default: 56)
		Memory Alignment
		PMemory Alignment
		Reserved I/O

Maybe you need to adjust some of the dGPU or Thunderbolt memory options. I have not tried a eGPU with a Windows desktop PC before so I don't know what's all involved. See if you can find a similar build on the egpu.io website. Really, if the BIOS is working correctly, then the Thunderbolt controller of an add-in card should work as well as a Thunderbolt controller built into the motherboard.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
zhoudan
(@zhoudan)
September 18, 2018 10:43 am  

Hi joevt, thanks for your quick reply.

Let me summarize: you were able to get the GC-ALPINE RIDGE in the GA-H170M-D3H to work with the LG UltraFine 5K display. Both PCIe and DisplayPort functionality worked (you were able to see an image and hear audio). You were able to get the eGPU to work with the MacBook Pro. Now you want to get the eGPU to work with the GA-H170M-D3H.

Exactly.

The support page for GA-H170M-D3H does not mention Thunderbolt drivers or maybe I can't find it. Did you install Intel Thunderbolt software from somewhere?

Yes, I downloaded the driver from the GC-ALPINE RIDGE support page, the link as below.
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-rev-20#support-dl-driver

Did you try disconnecting the LG UltraFine 5K and using a normal display with the eGPU? I wonder if there is an issue with using both Thunderbolt 3 ports or connecting more than one Thunderbolt 3 device.

Yes, I tried disconnecting the LG and plugged an old but working ViewSonic 1920x1080 monitor on the HDMI port of the eGPU. Not working. I even tried disconnecting the DP cable also, leave the TB3 cable the only one on the eGPU and the ALPINE RIDGE, still not working.

Do you have any other Thunderbolt 3 devices to test?

Not yet, but I guess it should work, for at least the PC can drive the LG speaker normally, through USB over TB3, right? I'll test it anyway after I back home, with a TB3 usb drive and let you know the result.

Does hot swapping a Thunderbolt 3 device or the LG UltraFine 5K work? In other words, the computer doesn't crash when the device is disconnected, and the Device Manager shows that the device disappears, and reconnecting the device causes the device to reappear in the Device Manage, and to be usable again?

Yes, I do the cable swapping things with the PC on, without crash, the eGPU just disappeared and re-appeared, always in a problematic status.

The manual for GA-H170M-D3H does not mention Thunderbolt BIOS options. Are there Thunderbolt options in the BIOS? What are they? I downloaded the BIOS and it seems there is Thunderbolt stuff in there but a screen shot would help to show which options are actually visible.

Yes, the official manual is for old BIOS and do not contain the TB options, the mainboard I have is shipped with BIOS version F21e which appear to be the latest and does contain TB3 options, specifically, it has an option to set eGPU support for AMD card or NVIDIA card or both, I tried to modify that options, but not working. I’ll take some pictures when I get back.

Maybe you need to adjust some of the dGPU or Thunderbolt memory options. I have not tried a eGPU with a Windows desktop PC before so I don't know what's all involved. See if you can find a similar build on the egpu.io website. Really, if the BIOS is working correctly, then the Thunderbolt controller of an add-in card should work as well as a Thunderbolt controller built into the motherboard.

Yes, I guess I’ll mess with some options tonight. But I consulted the guy who sold me the ALPINE RIDGE, he told me that this card is not meant to connect eGPU, a bunch of guys already tried that but failed, not knowing why. Anyway I’ll keep you posted about my latest progress. Thanks for the help.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 18, 2018 12:45 pm  

@joevt3 @zhoudan GC-ALPINE RIDGE + GA-H170M-D3H should be a working setup. There's a Thunderbolt header right above PCIEX4 slot. As long as the AIC is installed in this slot and the header plugged in, detection with Thunderbolt devices is possible. 

The yellow-bang (yellow triangle with exclamation) issue is fairly common with Windows when connecting an eGPU. I encountered this issue when building a TB3 test bench. What I did to resolve it was through different settings in the BIOS » Peripherals » Thunderbolt. Also try booting Windows with the eGPU connected. Hot-plug doesn't work for me. Here are a couple of screen captures from another Gigabyte board I tested earlier this year.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Estimable Member
September 18, 2018 2:57 pm  

Yes, I downloaded the driver from the GC-ALPINE RIDGE support page, the link as below.
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-rev-20#support-dl-driver

Oh yes, I forgot about that. Since the motherboard doesn't have Thunderbolt built in, the driver would come from the add-in card support page.

Not yet, but I guess it should work, for at least the PC can drive the LG speaker normally, through USB over TB3, right?

Close enough. The Thunderbolt cable carries Thunderbolt packets containing DisplayPort or PCIe data. The USB controller is inside the LG display and is connected to the Thunderbolt controller inside the LG display via the Thunderbolt controller's PCIe lanes. The Thunderbolt controller of the LG display is connected to the Thunderbolt controller of the GC-ALPINE RIDGE via the Thunderbolt cable. There's no USB between Thunderbolt controllers in this case. That's for the LG UltraFine 5K. The LG UltraFine 4K doesn't use Thunderbolt - it uses DisplayPort and USB 2.0 over the cable, and USB is handled by a hub in the LG UltraFine 4K.

I'll test it anyway after I back home, with a TB3 usb drive and let you know the result.

It's either Thunderbolt or USB. Not both. A Thunderbolt drive tests PCIe communication over the Thunderbolt cable (there's a NVMe or SATA controller in the Thunderbolt drive). A USB drive tests USB (there's a USB to SATA or whatever chip in the USB drive). I guess it's important to try both (even a USB mouse will do for the USB test). Hot swap should work for USB devices and Thunderbolt devices that are not eGFX (because eGFX is complicated?)

Yes, the official manual is for old BIOS and do not contain the TB options, the mainboard I have is shipped with BIOS version F21e which appear to be the latest and does contain TB3 options, specifically, it has an option to set eGPU support for AMD card or NVIDIA card or both, I tried to modify that options, but not working. I’ll take some pictures when I get back.

Oops, I was looking at the non-DDR3 version of the motherboard BIOS (F23f). It looks like the DDR3 version (F21e) has the same Thunderbolt options. It seems that you're seeing the options I listed previously (the non-hidden ones).

Yes, I guess I’ll mess with some options tonight. But I consulted the guy who sold me the ALPINE RIDGE, he told me that this card is not meant to connect eGPU, a bunch of guys already tried that but failed, not knowing why. Anyway I’ll keep you posted about my latest progress. Thanks for the help.

There are people here who've had success with some caveats.

Posted by: theitsage

@joevt3 @zhoudan GC-ALPINE RIDGE + GA-H170M-D3H should be a working setup. There's a Thunderbolt header right above PCIEX4 slot. As long as the AIC is installed in this slot and the header plugged in, detection with Thunderbolt devices is possible.

The motherboard is the DDR3 version, but I don't think that should be much different. Not all motherboards with a Thunderbolt add-in card header have the BIOS to support Thunderbolt so it's necessary to check the BIOS.

The yellow-bang (yellow triangle with exclamation) issue is fairly common with Windows when connecting an eGPU. I encountered this issue when building a TB3 test bench. What I did to resolve it was through different settings in the BIOS » Peripherals » Thunderbolt. Also try booting Windows with the eGPU connected. Hot-plug doesn't work for me.

I thought it would be this Windows related problem. Good to know there may be a way to fix it. Do you remember what options you used to resolve the problem?

Here are a couple of screen captures from another Gigabyte board I tested earlier this year.

The options have changed slightly since then. There's a new choice between AMD, Nvidia, or either. Very strange. I think the other options are the same but may have different names (e.g. Prefetchable Memory -> Reserved PMemory)

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 18, 2018 4:01 pm  

@joevt3 I tried DSDT override first but it requires Windows to run in test mode. The working one-eGPU solution for me was the configuration as shown in the BIOS screen captures. The eGPU had to be attached prior to booting Windows. If error 12 persists, the iGPU can be disabled in BIOS too. Connect the eGPU to both the computer and monitor prior to boot.

ReplyQuote
zhoudan
(@zhoudan)
September 18, 2018 10:39 pm  

@joevt3 @itsage thanks for your help, there is a good news and a bad news.

The good news is, yes, I can use ALPINE RIDGE to drive eGPU (Core X + Vega64 in my case) on my windows 10 PC.  I can run CUDA benchmark on the eGPU and the GPUTach leds had shown it was full throttle running. And the fan blows really hard with hot winds. So I guess it was actually working.

The bad news is, no, I can't use the ALPINE RIDGE to lit LG ultrafine 5k while driving eGPU, and the eGPU’s HDMI output to my ViewSonic is also abnormal, the image appeared in a purple color and the screen keeps flickering every 3-5 seconds. I don’t have other monitors by my hand, so, I have not seen the eGPU output normal images under windows yet. BTW, both LG and ViewSonic works fine with the eGPU when I drive it with my MacBook Pro. So it’s definitely windows fault…

I've tested quite a few cases, it's gonna be a too long story to iterate every configuration, so I'll jump directly to the final result, the best I can get. If anyone is interested in other scenarios, I'd be glad to share in later posts.

I figure the two TB3 port on ALPINE RIDGE differs somehow(actually I noticed that very late), make sure the eGPU is connected to the TB3 port 1. You might get a seems working build when using port 2, but the system will crash (win10 blue screen) if you want to use the eGPU(like open AMD settings, AIDA64 GPGPU bench, etc.) My PC might have crashed hundreds of times before I noticed the port choice issue.

@itsage mentioned DSDT override, which reminds me there is a BIOS setting which might have equivalent effect. It’s called “Above 4G Decoding” and it should be enabled. Sorry I don’t know how to post image yet, otherwise I can upload the screenshot, I’ll figure that later.  Other BIOS options are quite straightforward, I did not modify any default value, just enable the eGPU support and select AMD type.

In my case, booting windows with eGPU connected will definitely result in an problematic device with error 12 ( or 43 sometimes), pull out and re-plug will fix it, so the best practice might be plug the eGPU to TB3 port 1 after windows fully booted.

With eGPU on TB3 port 1, plug LG to TB3 port 2 has no effect, nothing happens. Even the camera and speakers will not be discovered by windows.

I gotta run for now, will keep updating this thread.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Estimable Member
September 19, 2018 5:48 pm  

The bad news is, no, I can't use the ALPINE RIDGE to lit LG ultrafine 5k while driving eGPU, and the eGPU’s HDMI output to my ViewSonic is also abnormal, the image appeared in a purple color and the screen keeps flickering every 3-5 seconds. I don’t have other monitors by my hand, so, I have not seen the eGPU output normal images under windows yet. BTW, both LG and ViewSonic works fine with the eGPU when I drive it with my MacBook Pro. So it’s definitely windows fault…

For the ViewSonic, you could try an active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

For the LG, you could try using a second Alpine Ridge that is not installed in that computer (any AIC that has two DisplayPort inputs, including the new GC-TITAN RIDGE). This way, the Windows OS won't be bothered by the PCIe devices in the LG display.

I figure the two TB3 port on ALPINE RIDGE differs somehow(actually I noticed that very late), make sure the eGPU is connected to the TB3 port 1. You might get a seems working build when using port 2, but the system will crash (win10 blue screen) if you want to use the eGPU(like open AMD settings, AIDA64 GPGPU bench, etc.) My PC might have crashed hundreds of times before I noticed the port choice issue.

I think the only difference is that each port is a different PCIe bridge and must be allocated their own bus numbers and memory and interrupts and Windows is somehow bad at doing that? Some computers have 128 bus numbers. Some have 256. I think you need like three Thunderbolt controllers to worry about the 128 bus number limit.

@itsage mentioned DSDT override, which reminds me there is a BIOS setting which might have equivalent effect. It’s called “Above 4G Decoding” and it should be enabled. Sorry I don’t know how to post image yet, otherwise I can upload the screenshot, I’ll figure that later.  Other BIOS options are quite straightforward, I did not modify any default value, just enable the eGPU support and select AMD type.

I would consider trying to increase the memory options, if I knew what they did, how much memory was required, and how much memory there was total. I would find a way to get these number from the lspci or setpci commands of pciutils then start doing comparison of results with different numbers. I would modify my pcitree.sh script to show memory numbers.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
zhoudan
(@zhoudan)
September 20, 2018 3:41 am  

@joevt3

For the ViewSonic, you could try an active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

I tried, the same purple color, and I finally solved it. It seems to be the RX Vega 64 problem. I found it by chance. I tried to play a game(Heroes of Storm) on the purple ViewSonic, and when adjust the game graphics setting, I found that switching the antia-alias setting put the screen back into normal and sustained. I'll consult AMD for further information, but so far I'll leave that as it's a work around. So yes I can finnally use the eGPU to display normal image in Windows now, though not on LG yet.

For the LG, you could try using a second Alpine Ridge that is not installed in that computer (any AIC that has two DisplayPort inputs, including the new GC-TITAN RIDGE). This way, the Windows OS won't be bothered by the PCIe devices in the LG display.

Does that mean the two TB3 port on the AIC cannot be used to drive PCIe devices simultaneously? Actually I noticed that, when the TB3 port 1 is working with the eGPU, I connected a usb drive to the TB3 port 2 via a TB3 to USB3 convertor, but it's not working, nothing happened.

I think the only difference is that each port is a different PCIe bridge and must be allocated their own bus numbers and memory and interrupts and Windows is somehow bad at doing that? Some computers have 128 bus numbers. Some have 256. I think you need like three Thunderbolt controllers to worry about the 128 bus number limit.

I guess Windows is really bad at resource allocation, and when using port 2 for eGPU, the crash error is VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR.

I would consider trying to increase the memory options, if I knew what they did, how much memory was required, and how much memory there was total. I would find a way to get these number from the lspci or setpci commands of pciutils then start doing comparison of results with different numbers. I would modify my pcitree.sh script to show memory numbers.

I’m not familiar with pciutils, I’ll try to play with it to see if it helps. BTW I've already called Gigabyte support and described my issues, they told me will call me back after consulted their tech team.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Estimable Member
September 20, 2018 8:52 am  

Does that mean the two TB3 port on the AIC cannot be used to drive PCIe devices simultaneously?

Maybe they can if they both are not connected to eGPUs.

Actually I noticed that, when the TB3 port 1 is working with the eGPU, I connected a usb drive to the TB3 port 2 via a TB3 to USB3 convertor, but it's not working, nothing happened.

The USB controller of the Thunderbolt chip has it's own bus number. The USB controller might not be enumerated at startup. Check Device Manager for a USB 3.1 gen 2 controller (not the USB 3.0 controller of the LG). Check if USB works without the LG connected, or if USB works with the LG when connected before startup.

I’m not familiar with pciutils, I’ll try to play with it to see if it helps. BTW I've already called Gigabyte support and described my issues, they told me will call me back after consulted their tech team.

My idea is to modify my pcitree.sh script to include memory information in the device tree output to show how the memory allocation relates between devices and different BIOS settings. The memory information is shown in the lspci verbose output and probably can be read by the setpci command. If Windows uses the PCI bus numbers created in BIOS, then maybe a custom EFI driver could be created to enumerate things in a way that would make everything work. That might depend on being able to properly undo stuff that was already done - maybe not everything - at least the root port containing the Thunderbolt controllers if there is space elsewhere in the bus numbers and memory map, etc.

ReplyQuote
Robert Avram
(@robert_avram)
September 21, 2018 1:26 pm  

Here is a video of a 1080GTX in a Sonnet eGFX 550 box driving the image on LG UltraFine I recorded :

I have a headless HDMI adapter inside my eGPU mirroring the image to LG UltraFine 5k while keeping my MBP in Clamshell mode.

Simple, works without any hacks out of the box in Windows 10.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Estimable Member
September 21, 2018 8:09 pm  
Posted by: Robert Avram

Here is a video of a 1080GTX in a Sonnet eGFX 550 box driving the image on LG UltraFine I recorded 

I have a headless HDMI adapter inside my eGPU mirroring the image to LG UltraFine 5k while keeping my MBP in Clamshell mode.

Simple, works without any hacks out of the box in Windows 10.

The LG UltraFine 5K is driven by the dGPU (Radeon) in the MacBook Pro. The scene is rendered by the eGPU (GTX 1080). There is some performance loss because the rendered image must be transferred from the eGPU to the dGPU. Performance would be better if the LG UltraFine 5K was driven by the eGPU.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3 Prev