Setup & Software Discussions
Low FPS with Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 580 8 GB on late 2013 MacBook Pro 13" (Th...

Low FPS with Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 580 8 GB on late 2013 MacBook Pro 13" (Thunderbolt 3 > 2 adapter)  

RSS

(@tobias_gerhardsson)

I just installed a AMD Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 580 8 GB in the Akitio Node enclosure. I'm using a late 2013 MacBook Pro 13" with the following specs:

• Processor: 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5
  • RAM: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • Integrated graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB

The late 2013 MacBook Pro does not have Thunderbolt 3 inputs, so I'm doing the setup through the Apple Thunderbolt 3 > Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

I used the purge-wrangler.sh in order to make the computer recognize the eGPU. The card is now recognized by the computer and I'm running my 2K Asus monitor with HDMI from the eGPU. I tried playing Civilization VI in 1080p with pretty high settings and ran the built-in benchmark in the game. I got low results, it was mostly 15 FPS and 30 FPS at max. At the moment I don't have the exact settings that I used, but it wasn't running everything on max. I disabled shadows and some other stuff. I can give you the exact settings if that's necessary.

What I'm asking you is: is this expected given my setup? Are there some ways that I could optimize the eGPU and make it run better than what I got? Do you think it will run better with Windows 10 and if so, could you point me to some instructions on how the Bootcamp setup should be made?

This topic was modified 6 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
omardesu
(@omardesu)
Trusted Member

@tobias_gerhardsson can you run the Unigine Valley and Heaven benchmarks?  I previously had the Aorus Gaming Box 580 paired with my 2014 Mac mini, so the setup is pretty similar to yours.  I had benchmarks in 10.14.2 and Win10 which you can see here as a reference.  This might help to troubleshoot if there is something wrong with your setup or if that's just the performance you get from the RX 580.

1070 Ti: 2014 Mac mini / 2016 MBP 15"
Mini ITX Build in Dan A4 Case

ReplyQuote
RumianePoliczki
(@rumianepoliczki)

@tobias_gerhardsson I know that this may be a stupid question, but have you checked "prefer external GPU" checkbox in application info?
My setup is MBP 15" 2015, i7 2,2GHz and 16Gb of 1600MHz RAM + same eGPU enclosure and GPU as you have.
On Windows on internal screen I can run Witcher 3 on 1920x1200px uber settings without hair works @30FPS. It may be that your system is not capable to run Civ VI smoothly [email protected], given that 13" MBP may have crippled PCI line.

MBP 15" 2015, i7-4770, 16Gb 1600MHz, Iris Pro 5200 + Akitio Node, Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB @TB2>TB3 Apple adapter & 2m cable.

ReplyQuote