Mac Book Pro 2020 16” - Razer Core X - AMD Radeon 5700 XT Issues

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Book Pro 2020 16” - Razer Core X - AMD Radeon 5700 XT Issues  

of  2
  RSS

Outer_net
(@outer_net)

I just received the AMD Radeon 5700 XT and docked it in the Core X Chroma.

With it connected to my MBP that is only 10 days old it wont boot up?

I Have tried with multiple Cables and the same. Have also tried in Safe boot and new user and the same.

Razer / Apple are about as helpful as a drum of petrol when your on fire.

Also my LG Ultrafine Display 27 “ That is connected to the Radeon Card does not show as a connected display in Mac Os? 

I am using an 8K compatible Mac Os USBC Thunderbolt 3 > DP cable by Maxonar 

Connecting the Razer core on its own with no card and the mac boots fine.

Also if I turn the egpu on after booting and log in then the egpu mounts and I can set apps to use it and the egpu icon is visible in the top right menu bar.

MBP Spec is 5600 M GPU with 64 gb ram 

Why does apple say this is a compatible hardware combination ? Does anyone have it working?

Thank you in advance for any support

So far with apple I have re-set the SMC and NV ram and also tried safe boot and new user. With apple trouble shooting have emergency restarted some 7 times. 

The card works as lightroom can be set to use the card. The razer core works with no card and with the card only once powering on after booting but the screen does not show as a display, just black. 

This topic was modified 2 months ago

MBP 16” 5600M | 64GB | 4TB | Razer Core X Chroma | AMD Radeon 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@outer_net

What cable is connecting the core x to your MBP

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
Outer_net
(@outer_net)

I have tried all 3 I have

The one that came with the Razer, a Belkin 2 m one and an apple .5 m one.

They are definitely TB 3 cables full spec

Do you know why the egpu with the AMD Radeon 5700 XT card inside it makes it impossible for the MBP to boot up after password prompt?

Thank you

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@outer_net

Please clarify how you are hooking up the Maxonar  Thunderbolt 3 > DP cable. 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
Outer_net
(@outer_net)

I have the DP end in the AMD Radeon card and the USBC end in the USBC port of the LG Display.

In desperation I have ordered this cable the cable I am using now is this one 

I am only really using lightroom / FCPX and chose to go for this egpu because I was not happy at how the MBP would heat up and Fans spinned upto max when even just browsing images and using the LG display. I think that the MBP on its own cannot handle this display even at 4k

I know this is another issue but the MBP span fans at max speed today for 5 mins for no apparent reason. Am starting to think theres a fault with the MBP ! ? I was on a chat with apple and there where no heavy tasks.

DO you think that the Moxanar cable is the issue here? Maybe it is not Bi directional and the signal is USBC > DP and I am trying to use it the wrong way?

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
Outer_net
(@outer_net)

Still though there are 2 issues - 

Mac not booting

Mac not detecting display

ReplyQuote
Outer_net
(@outer_net)

Hi @mini-i5

Just tested the new cable after a restore and following your suggestions on another post of a fresh Catalina restore and reintroducing display egpu separately and restart and then together.

😡

I am at the point where Apple are suggesting a replacement MBP, but deep down I have a feeling it won't change anything and after some research it seems to be a MacOS issue.

Also considering returning it for a Mac Pro now!

Does anyone have any advice / experience of the 16 " MBP I have working with the Razer Core X Chrom / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT working?

Thank you in advance

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@joevt usually chimes in as he is knowledgeable re: the LG Ultrafine Display and especially the required cable routing.  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@outer_net, What is the brand and model of the RX 5700 XT? Some have better firmware compatibility than others.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Outer_net
(@outer_net)

Hi @itsage

I am using this one here the base standard one

I have worked with apple and I can now get the MBP to boot up while connected to the egpu - We turned off the login security setting.

Now I think the issue is the screen. I have theLG (27MD5KA-B.AEK) Ultrafine 5k 27'' Monitor 2880p - Black

I got it in 2017 and maybe this is not working via DP connection? I think it has to be connected direct to the MBP. AHHHHH

So great - After a new MBP and a egpu / card I now need a new display!!!!

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
 of  2