Budget multi-monitor build for 2011 Mac Mini?

Notifications
Clear all

Budget multi-monitor build for 2011 Mac Mini?  

RSS

Tadgh78
(@tadgh78)

Hi all! I’m new to this forum.

I wonder if someone can help me. Here is my use-case, I have a 2011 Mac Mini “server edition” with 2.0 ghz quad-core and Intel 3000 built in graphics.

I want to add multi-monitor support. I’d like to have 4 monitors. Only one of them needs to be 4K. The rest can be 1080p. 

I don’t need to do much video editing except maybe very occasionally with some holiday videos or something. And I never play computer games. But I would like to able to watch 4K video on one of the monitors. 

I want to do as low-budget and hopefully as straightforward a build as possible. A thunderbolt 2 enclosure and an RX560 would probably be fine. 

I was looking at a Sonnet breakaway puck RX560 but the manufacturer says they don’t work with my Mac. Is there a way around this?

Otherwise, does anyone have ideas on what hardware I need to get 4 monitors running with this Mac?

Thanks,

Tadgh

This topic was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@tadgh78, Once you run Purge-Wrangler script, your 2011 Mac mini would be unblocked from using a Thunderbolt eGPU. Aside from the Sonnet Breakaway Puck RX 560, you'd also need the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter. The four monitor outputs from the Puck 560 can power 4x 4K monitors.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

Tadgh78 liked
ReplyQuote
Tallerthanmost2003
(@tallerthanmost2003)

I am doing this exact thing. I purchased a sonnet breakaway puck that I have been using successfully with my newer MBP but wondered if I could get it to work with my old Mac mini that was sitting in the garage. I created the bootable flash drive and got it to boot last night but it's not seeing the eGPU, I think the amazon cable that goes from thunderbolt 2 to USB3 doesn't support this so I've ordered the apple adaptor and need to find a thunderbolt cable but I'm hoping it will be up and running tomorrow. 

@itsage, I'm trying to get this to work but I'm stuck. I've run the script from this page "https://github.com/mayankk2308/purge-wrangler/wiki/Beginner's-Guide" but it doesn't recognize the eGPU, when I plug the ePGU in the light does not come on like with my other computers. Any advice?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@tallerthanmost2003, Most likely a hardware issue. You need to provide the information of all components in this setup. Apple Thunderbolt cable and Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter are the only ones I'd recommend.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Tallerthanmost2003
(@tallerthanmost2003)

@itsage, Thanks for the reply, and I have tried a number of things with our success. I first tried a cheap cable but have changed it to the Apple adaptor and Apple thunderbolt cable. I’ve tried it in a MacBook Air as well and it at least turns the light on but when I boot up with the flash drive on either computer it doesn’t recognize the egpu.

i have created the boot up drive, updated the muxinteger setting, And boot with the drive And it doesn’t see anything. Am I missing something? Thanks!

Mike

ReplyQuote