Setup & Software Discussions
Mac Mini 2012 2.3Ghz - Sonnet egfx 570 OSX 10.14.5

Mac Mini 2012 2.3Ghz - Sonnet egfx 570 OSX 10.14.5  

RSS

MiniP
(@minip)

Updated mac mini to Mojave 10.14.5 and just received my Sonnet egfx 570.  I'm new to this forum but don't want to mess up anything, and I have multiple backups.  What is the process for updating the mac mini to enable egpu on this unsupported unit.  I see several guides want to make sure which is the correct one to use.  Is there one simple script with an easy interface that will take care of all the settings or just point me in the correct direction.

Thanks
Paul

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
MiniP
(@minip)

Also btw I have my thunderbolt adapter from Thunder3 to Thunder1

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Sonnet eGFX RX 570 is the best piece of hardware you can get for your setup.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@minip Follow either purge-wrangler or automate-eGPU EFI, whichever way you prefer.

This post was modified 3 months ago

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 [Sonnet Breakaway 350 -> 600W]

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: mac_editor

@minip Follow either purge-wrangler or automate-eGPU EFI, whichever way you prefer.

Is it possible to just enabled TB2 with automate-eGPU EFI, so that the eGPU-eject icon remains?

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@oliverb it is, as stated in the automate-eGPU EFI documentation (main post). To make it simple, you can use a simple installer I built, which should be part of the main post.

ReplyQuote
MiniP
(@minip)

Mac_editor I followed the automate-eGPU EFI installer and I got the screen as shown, it definitely detects the Sonnet EGFX 570.  It shows on the opening screen as I boot off the USB drive with EFI installer.  
Model: Macmini6,2
CPU: Intel CoreTM i7-3615QM
GPU [0x8086 0x166] [0x1002 0x67DF]

Detected eGPU: [0x1002 0x67DF]

The next screen shows
Load Mac OS
Load Windows OS
Load on startup ON/OFF

I load Mac OS and it allows me to use the sonnet flawlessly, even in about this Mac it shows Radeon RX570 4GB, even general screen redraws are faster, Adobe Creative Cloud is improved.  But I must be missing one step because if I unplug the USB drive and then allow the Mac to boot nothing comes on either one of the two screens I have connected to the Sonnet.  Unless I connect HDMI monitor and reboot off the EFI drive and select Load Mac OS then the screens on the sonnet come on.

What am I missing?  Thank you for giving my mac mini another year or two of life.

Paul

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@minip that’s how EFI works. If you boot without it, the system has booted unpatched and eGPU won’t work. You must always boot with the EFI stick.

ReplyQuote
MiniP
(@minip)

I understand, is there anyway to force it to automatically boot from stick without having to do the OPT key first to select it, or I simply have to do the OPT and select the USB drive and go through the prompts?  If so I understand thanks for the help

Paul

ReplyQuote