[Solved] Mac mini 2018 and Aorus Gaming box with RX 580  

RSS

joshlac
(@joshlac)

Hi,

Setup:

- Mac Mini 2018 with OS 10.14.6

- Aorus Gaming Box 1070 that was replaced by RX 580

The Mac OS sees the card as RX 480 for some reason... any idea how to fix it? (it shows up correctly as RX 580 under Win 10)

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@joshlac Is this the HP OEM 4GB ITX card? I have the same one from an HP desktop and it does show up as RX 480 in macOS but RX 580 in Windows. I don’t think it makes a difference in performance however.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
joshlac
(@joshlac)

Yes, it's the same one: HP OEM 4GB ITX.

Can I ask you if you have boot screen issue with your setup? I need to boot with only HDMI cable connected to Mac Mini and the monitor and eGPU disconnected. Only after login in I can connect eGPU, disconnect HDMI and connect display port cable going from RX 580 to monitor...

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@joshlac It’s a Polaris driver bug in macOS Catalina. This has been an issue since 10.15 Dev Beta 5 more than 3 months ago. We can only wait for Apple to fix it in the near future.

ReplyQuote
joshlac
(@joshlac)

@itsage I'm still on 10.14.6 though...

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@joshlac It’s possible a recent firmware in 10.14.6 causes this issue for the 2018 Mac mini. I’ve seen reports of Mojave users facing the same issue when using their 2018 Mac mini with a Polaris eGPU.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@joshlac

Posted by: @joshlac

I need to boot with only HDMI cable connected to Mac Mini and the monitor and eGPU disconnected. Only after login in I can connect eGPU, disconnect HDMI and connect display port cable going from RX 580 to monitor...

That is the recommended way to boot macOS on the Mac mini as of Mojave (assuming you never previously updated to Catalina) because EFI graphics output is not supported over eGPU on Mojave (firmware), so FileVault enabled macs can’t display login screen on eGPU monitor. If you did upgrade to Catalina previously, you may see a different issue (commonly dubbed white screen of death).

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote