Mac Mini 2018 + Catalina 10.15.3 + AMD Radeon RX 5700 inside Razer Core X -- Nea...

Notifications

Mac Mini 2018 + Catalina 10.15.3 + AMD Radeon RX 5700 inside Razer Core X -- Nearly an unusable setup  

RSS

hck3
 hck3
(@hck3)

Hi all,

This is my first eGPU and I am close to sending this back, I was told that this was a compatible graphics card with Macs, and although it is plug and play I have the following issues. My setup is 2x 4K monitors using the gpu so I have nothing connected to the factory graphics card.

- Can't disconnect the AMD graphics card through Catalina, when I do this it changes to say "Disconnecting AMD.." but nothing further happens at all

- Can't restart, sleep or shutdown, this is a major issue, I am spending 10 minutes some mornings just getting the computer up and running. When I try to sleep, it will wake up, an error will occur and then it will restart itself, 9 times out of ten this restart just leaves me with blank screens.

- The eGPU fan does not turn off when sleeping, this is a more minor issue that I can live with.

I'm looking for advice I guess, if this can't be fixed will a fix be on the horizon. And are there any graphics cards that work with my setup?

Thanks

Apparently Vega cards are not affected by this so I have decided to send this one back and order a Vega, will report back once I receive it and have set it up and tested.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@hck3

My Powercolor Gaming Station works great with the 5700XT. No issues. I recommended it. 

🤔 Why are you trying to disconnect the eGPU through Catalina when you have no other connection to your displays?  

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.3 Catalina / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
hck3
 hck3
(@hck3)

@mini-i5, Hi,

I was trying to disconnect it to see if restarting/sleeping/shutting down ran more smoothly

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Alex Zhan
(@alex_zhan)

when you waiting for the disconnection,try to log off your account manually, maybe you can disconnect the gpu.

macbookpro 15" late2013 Mantiz Sapphire Rx480 Xfx Rx5700

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@hck3

Be sure to use a standard TB3 cable. 

Try starting up with the Core X power switch turned off.

Wait a minute or two for Mac OS to load.

Turn on power to the Core X.

In system preferences, set the Mini to never sleep. 

When you are taking a break, turn off your monitors, or just let the Mac Mini screensaver run.

When you are finished, shut down using the Apple menu. Then turn off the Core X power switch.

This post was modified 6 days ago

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.3 Catalina / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
hck3
 hck3
(@hck3)

After finding an article online about this issue which it seems I am unable to share as my comment was removed, I have found that there are well known issues with these GPU's and that others don't have issues. I'm sorry I can't find the name of them now so unfortunately the mods have prevented information being shared here which might have helped someone.

ReplyQuote
whoDean
(@whodean)

Same combination works seamlessly in MacOS 10.15.x for me and has for some time.

Late 2018 Mac mini 6-Core i7-8700B
UHD Graphics 630 iGPU
64GB RAM/1TB SSD

Razer Core X Chroma

MSI Gaming Radeon RX 5700 XT

LG 34GK950F-B 34" 21:9 Ultragear WQHD Nano IPS Curved Gaming Monitor with Radeon FreeSync 2 (2018), Black

ReplyQuote
(@erik_holmstrom)

Posted by: @whodean

Same combination works seamlessly in MacOS 10.15.x for me and has for some time.

With your external display plugged into the eGPU you boot directly into MacOS without getting the black screen?

ReplyQuote
(@erik_holmstrom)

Posted by: @mini-i5

@hck3

Be sure to use a standard TB3 cable. 

Try starting up with the Core X power switch turned off.

Wait a minute or two for Mac OS to load.

Turn on power to the Core X.

In system preferences, set the Mini to never sleep. 

When you are taking a break, turn off your monitors, or just let the Mac Mini screensaver run.

When you are finished, shut down using the Apple menu. Then turn off the Core X power switch.

I read that this was supposed to be fixed in 10.15.4 but I still have to perform the routine you described to get past the black screen issues

ReplyQuote
whoDean
(@whodean)

@erik_holmstrom, yes

Late 2018 Mac mini 6-Core i7-8700B
UHD Graphics 630 iGPU
64GB RAM/1TB SSD

Razer Core X Chroma

MSI Gaming Radeon RX 5700 XT

LG 34GK950F-B 34" 21:9 Ultragear WQHD Nano IPS Curved Gaming Monitor with Radeon FreeSync 2 (2018), Black

ReplyQuote