Mac Mini 2018 Catalina 10.15.5 + Razer Core X + AMD RX Vega 64

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Mini 2018 Catalina 10.15.5 + Razer Core X + AMD RX Vega 64  

RSS

rioricaro
(@rioricaro)

Today I replaced my Mac Mini Server 2012 with new Mac Mini 2018. When i use same setup as Mac Mini Server 2012 on New Mac Mini 2018, EGPU is not working properly. There are 2 issues that I experienced.

1. Mac Mini 2018 won't boot/get black screen when EGPU is still connected
  2. I decided to boot my Mac Mini 2018 without EGPU and connect the EGPU after that. I got the EGPU icon and shows my EGPU is connected but on the system overview, the graphic is still using Intel UHD Graphics 630.

I attach the screenshot for more details.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/1c907047-cbfc-4385-843c-277faade5ece

On my Mac Mini Server 2012, everything is running properly using this setup Mac Mini Server --> EGPU using TB1/2 to TB3 connector --> LG 4k display. P.S I use purge wrangler.

Please advise how to fix this issue.

Regards,

Rio

This topic was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @rioricaro

Please advise how to fix this issue.

System overview doesn’t matter - ensure external display is connected to eGPU after hotplug. The boot issue is a known problem for Mac mini 2018 and is fixed in macOS Big Sur beta 1 firmware update. 

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

rioricaro liked
ReplyQuote
rioricaro
(@rioricaro)

@mac_editor, Well noted. Look forward to MacOS Big Sur Beta 1. Thank you

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Mac mini 2018 boot still seems problematic with Big Sur beta. For one, the boot screen shows up but doesn't always remain for the entire time of booting.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @joevt

For one, the boot screen shows up but doesn't always remain for the entire time of booting.

Could you elaborate exactly what happens? I would imagine screen could go black while booting macOS with eGPU connected during the handoff from EFI to macOS when the graphics drivers take control. This happens on both my 2014/2018 15" MBPs that have discrete GPUs. Even when handing off to dGPU, screen goes black (sort of a slow blink) for a bit. On eGPU, this delay could be much larger.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@mac_editor, last couple attempts the screen did not go black. The Apple logo appears and remains for ~110 seconds, then the Finder appears. During that time, there is no progress bar except maybe the last second or two and the keyboard is unresponsive (no caps lock LED change).

Holding the option key to show the Startup Manager works and has similar behaviour when I click Catalina.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote