Setup & Software Discussions
Mac Mini 2018 + eGPU boot screen support in Catalina 10.15 Beta 5

Mac Mini 2018 + eGPU boot screen support in Catalina 10.15 Beta 5  

RSS

steve4332
(@steve4332)
Eminent Member

Until Mojave the Mac Mini had no boot sector/boot screen support when the Display was attached to an eGPU.

I just installed Catalina beta 5 which updated the Mini's firmware during installation. Now my Mini 208 seems to have proper boot selector and boot screen support through eGPU (wich means a nice shiny high resolution Apple logo displayed on my 4K display during boot or the standard boot selector when pressing the Option key before boot). Not all roses yet, since usually instead of the login screen the OS boots to a blank white screen (I have to turn the eGPU on and off briefly to get the login screen), but the direction of the change is most welcome! I did not test this, but probably this change means proper FileVault login support as well!

This topic was modified 4 months ago

Apple Mac Mini 2018 + Zotac AMP Box Mini + Sapphire RX 570 ITX

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I updated two of my headless Macs to Catalina Beta 5 last night. The 2013 Mac Pro was tested with newest builds of Purge-Wrangler. The 2018 Mac mini was not tested but I’m very excited to hear your update. Having the boot screen support through eGPU is a huge deal! Can you provide more information such as cable connection whether there’s anything display connected to iGPU? Currently my boot screen is through USB-C port to an ASUS USB-C portable monitor. The eGPU connects to a different monitor through DisplayPort cable.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
steve4332
(@steve4332)
Eminent Member

@itsage

Hey, I tested the following scenario:

Mac Mini 2018 -> Zotac Box Mini -> RX570 -> Displayport male-male cable -> LG 27UD88 4K display set to the DisplayPort input.

Both the HDMI and USB-C video output on the Mac Mini was fully disconnected, the sole connection was through the eGPU's DisplayPort output. The Apple logo appears within a second of system powering up and the Boot Selector is available and working if I hold the Option button pressed during power up (which indicates that the change regarding pre-boot eGPU support was made on a firmware level on the Mini).

My Mac Mini's Boot ROM version (I don't have a non-Catalina beta 5 machine to compare):

1037.0.39.151.1 (iBridge: 17.16.10521.5.4,0)

This post was modified 4 months ago

Apple Mac Mini 2018 + Zotac AMP Box Mini + Sapphire RX 570 ITX

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@steve4332 I can confirm macOS Catalina 10.15 Beta 5 [19A526h] brought eGPU boot screen support! This was tested on RX 480 and RX Vega 56. Boot Selector worked great for me with automate-eGPU EFI too.

As seen in the photo below, 2018 Mac mini connected to VisionTek mini eGFX + RX 480 which connected to HP Z27q via DisplayPort. I use @goalque‘s automate-eGPU EFI so that what visible on the external monitor. No display was directly connected to the Mac mini.

artik liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

This is great news.

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Boot Screen support through eGPU remains working in 10.15 Dev Beta 6 (19A536g). It even worked in 5K with dual DisplayPort cables on the HP Z27q. The other headless Mac I have is 2013 Mac Pro. There are some changes during boot (colored horizontal lines) but no support like the 2018 Mac mini.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@itsage

How early is this boot screen feature? Does it work with Startup Manager (hold option at startup)? Does it work with Clover / rEFInd? Such support requires a change to EFI. Is it a firmware update? Or is it a file in the EFI partition? Is it T2 chip related?

First post said it was a firmware update. A comparison of the firmware before and after the update might be interesting.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@joevt Following Dev Beta 5 on July 31st is when @steve4332 noticed this new Boot Screen support on his 2018 Mac mini with monitor through eGPU only. I tested mine and it worked by holding OPTION at boot. I can access the Startup Manager natively as well as automate-eGPU EFI. I have not tried rEFInd recently but don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Which macOS version are you running on your 2018 Mac mini? I will check later today and post Boot ROM version if it’s different than 1037.0.39.151.1 (iBridge: 17.16.10521.5.4,0) from 10.15 [19A526h]. I believe this feature is GPU-independent because the two AMD cards tested all worked (RX 480, RX Vega 56). I don’t know how to check whether the Apple T2 chip provides this support or the EFI partition.

From my observation using the 2018 Mac mini iGPU, the Apple logo would immediately shows up once Power button is pushed. Startup Manager would then appear if OPTION key is held down. This behavior is on Apple T2-chip Macs only. Through the eGPU-connected monitor since 10.15 [19A526h], I do not see the immediate Apple logo. The screen would go straight to Startup Manager when OPTION key is held down at boot.

Update: The firmware was updated in Dev Beta 6. Boot ROM Version is now 1037.0.52.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.10531.5.4,0).

This post was modified 3 months ago

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@itsage

I haven't tried Catalina, so I still have the older firmware:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i3
Processor Speed: 3.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: 220.270.99.0.0 (iBridge: 16.16.6568.0.0,0)
Hardware UUID: BEC81057-F233-538F-AB61-BA2ACC00880D

Did they change the Boot ROM version numbering scheme because mine says 220 instead of 1037

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

eGPU boot screen is not working for me in my Core i7 mac mini 2018 + Razer Core X + Radeon VII, I updated to the final Catalina release. When i power on the egpu and mac my monitor recognizes that there is output coming from the eGPU but it doesn't show anything. Is this a common issue?

2018 Mac Mini Core i7 8700B 32GB RAM 512GB SSD + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
(@thomas_jespersen)

@juan_c_yunis

I have a Mac Mini 2018 and Razer Core X as well. I need to turn off the egpu and turn it on again before the login screen appears. (which is pretty cumbersome on Razer Core since its on the back-side)

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

@thomas_jespersen thanks!, it kinda sucks tho, i have read in other places that it works fine for others with razer core x and a vii, so i guess i should try SMC, did you try to reset it?

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

My Mac Mini 2018's HDMI port doesn't work in Catalina. Many people have reported this problem. I have disconnected it and used a Thunderbolt 3 port instead. Anyone else with a Mac Mini able to confirm? Actually, I disconnected the power to the Mac Mini for awhile which made the HDMI port work. But now it's not working again...

Recovery partition seems to be broken as well. Command-R shows the Spinning World icon which fails with "apple.com/support -1008F" error...

ReplyQuote
butchlugrod
(@butchlugrod)

I had a ton of problems with this upon upgrading. I switched over to HDMI for the upgrade, and after the final reboot I had two black screens. Another reboot, just black screens. Tried DisplayPort from my Thunderbolt dock -- black screens. I went into recovery mode, unlocked the disk, rebooted and everything was fine again. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @joevt

Recovery partition seems to be broken as well. Command-R shows the Spinning World icon which fails with "apple.com/support -1008F" error...

@joevt I encountered this error on my 2018 MBP when I was running macOS Mojave, having upgraded to Catalina previously. When attempting to run Recovery for Mojave on Catalina firmware, I got this error. Upgrading to Catalina resolved the issue. Likely reason is the new activation lock and login requirements for recovery, that Mojave recovery did not have. But in your case, it sounds like you're facing the problem on Catalina itself. Perhaps a re-installation over existing installation might help.

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@mac_editor I reinstalled Catalina again (this time without HDMI) but it didn't fix the Recovery problem. Maybe I need a clean install of Catalina...

Boot ROM Version: 1037.0.78.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.10572.0.0,0)

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@mac_editor I used a USB stick created by macOS Catalina Patcher (going to use it on a MacPro3,1). Somehow the Recovery partition was not created properly on the Mac Mini 2018. I created a new unpatched USB stick, and used that to reinstall Catalina which fixed the Recovery partition.
           #5,245          

I still have problems with getting the HDMI 2.0 port of the Mac Mini 2018 to work under Catalina. The HDMI display is black (no signal or sleep). And hot-unplug is not detected or it does not remove the unworking display. I'll be testing eGPU later.

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

@thomas_jespersen it didn't work for me, i hear the sound that my monitor makes when an input is detected but i'm unable to see anything, my only way to boot my mac mini is with the iGPU connected to the monitor. By any chance do you have file vault enabled?

ReplyQuote
MCN91
(@mcn91)

I have a similar problem. When I try to boot the Mac mini, my screens detect a signal but stay black. Then the Mini seems to be stuck in a bootloop. 

I have the 2018 Mac mini (i5, 8gb, 256gb) and a Razer Core X with an Asus Arez Vega 56 (I'm planning to switch to a Sapphire Vega 64). 

2018 Mac Mini (i5, 8gb, 256gb) + Razer Core X + ASUS AREZ VEGA 56

ReplyQuote