Notifications
Clear all

Mac Mini 2018 + eGPU boot screen support in Catalina 10.15 Beta 5  

of  3
  RSS

Nick Kay
(@nick_kay)
Eminent Member

Any ideas how to get display working at boot and at the login window?

Otherwise as far as I can tell the card works great once booted into OS X 10.15.7

Perhaps I need to flash an EFI enabled firmware to the card?

2018 i7 Mac Mini | Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550 | XFX 5700 XT 8GB

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@nick_kay, This eGPU Boot Screen feature was working for only a short while (from Catalina Beta to some early official releases). It has not worked for a while now and Apple is in no hurry to fix it.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

Nick Kay liked
ReplyQuote
Nick Kay
(@nick_kay)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @itsage

@nick_kay, This eGPU Boot Screen feature was working for only a short while (from Catalina Beta to some early official releases). It has not worked for a while now and Apple is in no hurry to fix it.

Those bastards!  

Well at least that gives me all the info I need to know.  

Thank you for replying, a lot of this info is really hard to find.

Has anyone filed a RADAR about this with Apple?  Just curious.

I'm going to ask a buddy of mine over at Sonnet and see if they can maybe they can push for it to be fixed too, if there's already a RADAR that would help them, they can just reference it and ask when (if ever) it'll be addressed.

Cheers.

This post was modified 7 months ago

ReplyQuote
Nick Kay
(@nick_kay)
Eminent Member

So I’m still looking for a workaround for this problem, if anyone has some feedback I would appreciate it

Sonnet are aware of it and they have been trying to get Apple to do something about it for a long time, and don’t have any confidence at all that they will ever fix it, sadly

Today I installed Big Sur to an external USB drive and the boot screen behavior has not changed one bit, still no eGPU video output during boot or during OS updates either, despite the firmware being updated and getting a chime sound when I turn the mini on.

What I’m thinking of going with as a solution is using the HDMI port and have that go to a monitor, to get boot screen video.

The problem with that is though, once the OS loads, there’s no way to turn off that video output without physically removing the HDMI cable, which causes yet another issue of having a desktop that can’t be seen / accessed

I picked up an HDMI switcher from Amazon but it seems there is no way to actually tell the switcher not to automatically switch and “turn off” a display, lol!

So, I am thinking that I will need to find an HDMI switcher that specifically has the functionality to turn off a given input or just be able to switch to an empty input...

Second idea — figure out a way to completely unload the Intel driver once OS X loads or maybe keep it loaded but just disable video output via HDMI, something along these lines — a software workaround that can be automated, that kind of thing.

The last idea would be to figure out if AirPlay support can be enabled at boot, but I somehow doubt that would be anything Apple would implement.

Any suggestions or feedback are welcome, thanks all.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

As far I know eGPU display is ok if you disable FileVault 2 (I suggest to reactivate it when this issue will be fixed). 

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar M1 8-core CPU 8-core GPU - 16GB unified memory - 512GB PCIe SSD
MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB PCIe SSD

my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Nick Kay
(@nick_kay)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @ikir

As far I know eGPU display is ok if you disable FileVault 2 (I suggest to reactivate it when this issue will be fixed). 

Disabling FileVault gets you the login screen back, but still no video output during boot or during software updates 
Because there's no video output during boot you can't use the option boot selector or recovery mode or anything else that runs in a pre-boot / BridgeOS environment

This post was modified 6 months ago

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
techmoe
(@techmoe)

Setup: Mac mini 2018, Razer Core X, Sapphire Radeon 5500XT Nitro +, LG Ultrawide via DP, Samsung via HDMI.

When the last Catalina update was released, I noticed that my Mac boots straight into macOS without any issues. I updated to Big Sur, and till now (11.0.1) its running perfect. Absolutely no issue, expect that the apple boot logo does not show up, but it loads straight into the login screen, as you can see in my video below. It's in German, but I also filmed the boot up process:

This post was modified 6 months ago

Mac mini 2018
Razer Core X
Sapphire Radeon 5500XT 8GB Nitro +

YT: TechMoe
IG: tech.moe
twitch: techmoe87
trovo: techmoe87

ReplyQuote
 of  3