Setup & Software Discussions
Mac Mini 2018 Razer Core X AMD Vega 64 code 12

Mac Mini 2018 Razer Core X AMD Vega 64 code 12  

RSS

VertigoXRP
(@vertigoxrp)

After reading the build post on this forum and some related topics I have succesfully managed to;

- Install bootcamp
- Boot windows
- Hotplug the eGPU
- Install the drivers (I couldn't without hotplugging the card so not sure how the OP did that it will say no hardware found and exit) I've managed with DDU eventually)

I seem to be stuck in this exact scenario:
https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/mac-mini-2018-egpu-under-bootcamp-error-12/

Here's where I seem to stand now:

WITH hotplugging:
I see my Vega 64 in the windows device manager however it says there's not enough resources (code 12) and I have to disable some? I've used only one thunderbolt 3 port (the one closest to the HDMI output), I have no HDMI cable connected from my eGPU yet. In device manager I see 4 PCI entries the 3rd and 4th are empty. The first one displays the thunderbolt controller. The second has a recursive tree which displays both the High Definition audio controller and the Radeon RX Vega

device manager pci entries: https://ibb.co/1L30sTJ

WITHOUT hotplugging:
I get a blackscreen but I hear the eGPU and all my mouse and keyboard lit. Sometimes the eGPU fans halt (seems random). If I connect the HDMI (I havent tried display port yet) the monitor says it will go to sleep because there's no signal. Also it seems the iGPU doesn't work in this scenario (which seems normal after reading that would require the EFI hack)

I would really like to find a way to get this to work without disabling T2 security and it seems some people have managed to accomplish this with the same setup. What am I missing?

This topic was modified 7 months ago

Mac Mini 2018 i7 32GB DDR4 Razer Core X Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Vega 64 bootcamp win 10 & mojave

ReplyQuote
VertigoXRP
(@vertigoxrp)

A reddit user let me to the solution; the trick here was to completely shutdown windows (instead of restarting). Then removing the HDMI cable from the mini. Then I connected the TB3 cable from the mini to the eGPU and added the HDMI cable in between the eGPU and monitor. Booted the mini (into windows) and done.

One downside sofar is that when I use the bootcamp app in windows to boot in mac os I get a black screen. The only fix is to switch off the eGPU and connect via the mini's HDMI directly again; then hotplug the eGPU when MacOs comes alive. So this means a lot of cable switching bogus every os switch. Perhaps there's a solution to that problem as well ?

Mac Mini 2018 i7 32GB DDR4 Razer Core X Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Vega 64 bootcamp win 10 & mojave

ReplyQuote
coldy24
(@coldy24)

Hey! @VertigoXRP  This actually worked perfectly for me
However I suddenly encountered a problem I've never had before. My wifi wouldn't work? It was forcing me to use Ethernet? Any ideas?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
VertigoXRP
(@vertigoxrp)

Hey @coldy24 I can confirm I had wifi issues with this setup too. Without ethernet I just had to format the disk again and start over.. At some point it passed..

ReplyQuote
Damonji
(@damonji)

Hi all,

I´m new here. I have an Asus Radeon Vega 56 inside a Razer Core X, a Mac mini i7 (2018), 16gb, and I have the same problem as you. I have tested all these things:
1.- Start Windows with HDMI connected from monitor to EGPU: after some blinks on the screen and fans moving in the Vega 56, everything stops and the screen is black. It doesn't work. I have tested restarting and turning off. Nothing seems to work.
2.- Installed Razer Core EGPU Switch in windows. As the card is not detected, I cannot choose it. It doesn't work.
3.- Installed bootcamp drivers for AMD in windows... It doesn't work.
4.- Tried to connect all TB3 ports from left to right... It doesn't work.
5.- Hours of chat with Razer Support team, tests AMD drivers, ASUS drivers... They simply don't work. The code 12 error still there.

The only thing I could do is to fix another yellow alert on the Device Manager in windows, installing Thunderbolt Control Panel and drivers, It seems windows didn't recognized the TB3... but the Code 12 error still there...
After reading a lot, I see many guides about doing an EFI boot usb,  they are so old (2016-2017) and I have fear to break my new Mac mini. Most (if not all of them) are for MacBook Pro and there are lots of comments with different cases and variables that scares me. There is no a Mac mini 2018 version so I feel confortable with and easy to understand and try to trust in.

I feel very frustrated because after 3 days of hard work, I cannot make it work on bootcamp. My dream to have only a computer to work and play is gone 🙁

Anybody can help me please? 🙁

This post was modified 3 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@damonji First of all you have to decide whether you want to keep the Intel iGPU activated in Windows so that monitor output through the Mac mini's HDMI port remains working (w/ eGPU connected at boot). It's a more involved set up process if that's what you have planned.

To simply get the Radeon VII eGPU working with your 2018 Mac mini in Boot Camp (monitor output through eGPU only), you can follow these steps:

• Boot into Windows with external monitor connected to Mac mini HDMI port [without eGPU connected]
  • Run DDU to remove Radeon graphics drivers to clear up previous set up attempts [reboot as prompted]
  • Hot-plug the Core X Chroma + Radeon VII eGPU once Windows 10 fully loads up [any Thunderbolt 3 port]
  • Install latest Radeon Adrenalin graphics drivers but shut the computer down instead of "Restart Now" as prompted
  • Switch the HDMI cable from Mac mini to the Radeon VII eGPU then boot into Windows

You won't see the boot screen until Windows finishes loading drivers for the Radeon VII eGPU during login phase. If you don't see anything on the monitor after 5 minutes but know the computer is on, force shut it down. Boot it up again until you see Windows desktop.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Damonji
(@damonji)

Hi! First of all thanks for your reply, I’m not such experienced as you in these hacks...

I have some questions from your reply...

Must I do everything all these things you explain in your link and later follow your instructions here?

Every time that I want to load windows it will take 5-10 minutes to load?

What drivers must I install? My card is an Asus Radeon Vega 56 OC Edition, must I install Asus or the AMD?

I’ve tried to use DDU In safe mode but I could execute it, how Can you make it work in safe mode?

thanks in advance @itsage

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@damonji
in "safe mode" means you have to boot your windows into "safe mode". This can be done by using "Change advances startup options" in your window search and "Restart now". It's very easy from there.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@damonji You don't need to click on the link to my set up process that keeps the iGPU activated. You can follow the 5 step process in the bullet points above. It's not really a hack or workaround at all. It's important to carry those steps out precisely because once you have the eGPU connected at boot there's no monitor output directly from the Mac mini. You can download the Radeon graphics drivers from AMD website.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Damonji
(@damonji)

Hi! Thanks for your message.
I know how to restart in safe mode, what I mean is that, I cannot execute the app DDU.exe when I restarted in safe Mode. Windows doesn’t allow me to execute that application.

ReplyQuote
half.alive
(@half-alive)

Posted by: Damonji

Hi! Thanks for your message.
I know how to restart in safe mode, what I mean is that, I cannot execute the app DDU.exe when I restarted in safe Mode. Windows doesn’t allow me to execute that application.

Right click on the .exe and select run as administrator. Safe mode should not prevent you from executing programs.

ReplyQuote
alutube123
(@alutube123)

Hello I have a Mac mini 2018 with an I7 and a Razer Core X with an Vega 56 ... I installed Bootcamp on an external HDD ... it works great but only without the eGPU .... when I Hotplug it it gives me Code 12 in Device Manager.... I already installed the Adrenalin Drivers... I followed many troubleshooting Instructions but it still does not work.

The Vega itself Works because as I had Bootcamp on the Internal SSD and 6 house of Troubleshooting I got it to work Fine ...

I would appreciate your Answers and Ideas to bring the eGPU back to life on Bootcamp

ReplyQuote
smithclarkson01
(@smithclarkson01)

Even for me it's the same, any solution so far?
9Apps Vidmate

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote