Setup & Software Discussions
Mac Mini 2018 + Razer Core X + Vega 64 Crashing W/ Displayport

Mac Mini 2018 + Razer Core X + Vega 64 Crashing W/ Displayport  

RSS

shadyalien
(@shadyalien)

Hey all,

I have a new 2018 Mac Mini that I have set up with a Razer Core X and a Vega 64. I am running a LG Ultra HD 27UD68-W and a Wacom Cintiq 22HD off of the eGPU. The LG is running at 4K via Displayport (or HDMI) and the Wacom is running at 1080p via DVI. 

Since the get-go I've been having issues with the computer crashing when waking from sleep, but these crashes occur only when using Displayport to connect the LG monitor. Typically what happens when I wake it up is: Wacom wakes up and shows the login screen, then the LG wakes up (the LG takes longer to wake), the displays refresh, go black, and then the computer crashes and reboots. The error reports seem to indicate it is the T2 chip that is crashing (the reports saying Bridge OS crashed, specifically). 

If I connect the LG via HDMI it does not crash, but the LG consistently fails to detect input when waking from sleep unless I reseat the HDMI cable. This doesn't seem to occur if I turn "HDMI Deep color" off, but then I am restricted to 30Hz (and, when I have HDMI deep color on, there is strange banding in darker colors that is not present when it is off).

I've tried a few different configurations and nothing seems to work fully. For now I am running the monitor over HDMI, since that doesn't seem to make it crash, but having to reseat the connection every time the monitor turns on or switches inputs is not great either. 

I've tried replacing the Thunderbolt cable, as I've read that people with similar issues have solved them with that, but it hasn't seemed to change anything. Has anyone else experienced problems like this?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@shadyalien These issues may not be hardware related at all. Recent versions of macOS isn’t the most reliable in general and more troublesome for eGPU users. If it’s possible for you to downgrade the system to 10.14.3, I’d recommend doing that. Otherwise it’s a waiting game until Catalina arrives with hopefully better stability.

This post was modified 3 months ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
shadyalien
(@shadyalien)

Hmm, interesting. I'll see if Catalina improves things I guess. I guess in the interim I'll stick with HDMI since at least it doesn't crash with that.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote