mac mini 2018 + Ultrafine 5k + Ultrafine 4k

Notifications
Clear all

mac mini 2018 + Ultrafine 5k + Ultrafine 4k  

RSS

Yodalogger
(@yodalogger)

Recently won a ultrafine5k monitor and was going to sell the ultrafine 4k that I had been using...but all the real estate looks pretty good... only the mac mini doesn't seem to be able to drive both monitors via thunderbolt. 

If I obtained an eGPU to drive the 5K monitor (say the black magic), would the mini then be able to drive the 4k monitor directly?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@yodalogger

You’re right. The 2018 Mini can only drive the 5K UltraFine over TB3, plus a non-UltraFine 4K display over HDMI. 

The 16” MBP and the iMac Pro can drive both a 5K and 4K UltraFine over TB3. 

I haven’t seen any confirmation that adding the Blackmagic eGPU gives the 2018 Mini the same capability. 

This post was modified 2 months ago

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.4 Catalina / Windows 1809 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
(@massimo_franzese)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @yodalogger

Recently won a ultrafine5k monitor and was going to sell the ultrafine 4k that I had been using...but all the real estate looks pretty good... only the mac mini doesn't seem to be able to drive both monitors via thunderbolt. 

If I obtained an eGPU to drive the 5K monitor (say the black magic), would the mini then be able to drive the 4k monitor directly?

No. It requires some modding and the blackmagic eGPU does not work either (I bought it and returned it)

Sell the ultrafine and buy another monitor with HDMI or DP connection to make your eGPU work

Mac Mini 2018 3.2 Ghz 6 cores
Razer Core X enclosure with Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro
Benq PD2720U

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

USB-C from Mac mini to power 4K Ultrafine and Thunderbolt 3 from Blackmagic eGPU to power 5K Ultrafine should work fine. $700 minimum cost to have the extra real estate on the 4K Ultrafine is not something I'd recommend.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
(@massimo_franzese)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @itsage

USB-C from Mac mini to power 4K Ultrafine and Thunderbolt 3 from Blackmagic eGPU to power 5K Ultrafine should work fine. $700 minimum cost to have the extra real estate on the 4K Ultrafine is not something I'd recommend.

It powers it but it does not drive it and it stutters like mad. Bought and returned there is not a single record of someone having an Ultrafine 5K accelerated with the Blackmagic eGPU

Benq PD2720U

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Yodalogger
(@yodalogger)

Thanks for the information. I was toying with the idea of an eGPU even before the 5K came into my life, I don't think I would have bought it for myself but I'm interested in the challenge of getting it to work as part of my setup now.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@massimo_franzese)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @yodalogger

Thanks for the information. I was toying with the idea of an eGPU even before the 5K came into my life, I don't think I would have bought it for myself but I'm interested in the challenge of getting it to work as part of my setup now.

There is a thread under my user the only real option left is a bitcoin raiser card so you can install a thunderbolt bridge to drive the ultrafine 5K from the video card

I do not recommend that to you. There are plenty of monitors that are better value for money and are calibrated for video editing. The LG ultrafine are not suitable for that use 

Benq PD2720U

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@massimo_franzese Thank you for sharing. I don't doubt your experience with the Blackmagic eGPU + UltraFine 5K. The quality of macOS releases have been getting worse. Running the Ultrafine 5K is the very purpose of the Blackmagic eGPU so I think it was a software/driver bug. During my testing of the unit, I could run the HP Z27q 5K monitor through a TB3 to dual DP adapter. This is the same arrangement as the Ultrafine 5K monitor (internally).

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Posted by: @massimo_franzese
Posted by: @itsage

It powers it but it does not drive it and it stutters like mad. Bought and returned there is not a single record of someone having an Ultrafine 5K accelerated with the Blackmagic eGPU

Sorry, but this just isn't true. A massive (incorrect) blanket statement from someone with "trusted" under their username can give newer users the wrong idea.

Not sure what your issue was but I have defo heard/read/watched a few examples of set ups with the Backmagic egpu and the Ultrafine 5K.

This post was modified 2 months ago

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
(@massimo_franzese)
Trusted Member

@eightarmedpet

Final cut did not work I had a case opened with apple they accepted it was not working and I returned the eGPU

Games are a different story it seems but that monitor is just a PITA and I would get rid of it immediately

Actually if I may add sell both ultrafine 4K and 5K they are substandard panels nowadays with a bunch of painful legacy issues 

Benq PD2720U

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@massimo_franzese

that may be true but you claimed there were no examples of it working, maybe I am being pedantic...

I love my 5k and after trying others wouldn't swap. It also works great with my SFFPC.

---

ReplyQuote
(@massimo_franzese)
Trusted Member

@eightarmedpet

OK were are this examples of success? Other than you google is full of people doing 10 fps at fortnite I just checked in general it is a bad combo and frankly there are much better way to spend the money that blackmagic charges for a vega 56 or a radeon

Is the op even playing games?

Benq PD2720U

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

OK were are this examples of success? - the video I posted. (also as per itsage's post).

Other than you google is full of people doing 10 fps at fortnite I just checked in general it is a bad combo - define bad.

and frankly there are much better way to spend the money that blackmagic charges for a vega 56 or a radeon - not part of what I challenged, but would agree.

Is the op even playing games? - who knows? Also not relevant.

To answer OP's question, wouldn't the 5K be drivable over TB3 then use a USB C to HDMI for the 4K? No egpu required.

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@eightarmedpet The iGPU in 2018 Mac mini has three monitor output. The four USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports can dynamically use up to two DP streams depending on the connected monitor. The third monitor output is attached to the HDMI port. Therefore Ultrafine 4K and 5K running together off the iGPU is not possible.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@itsage

I'm confused, maybe I need another cuppa, but if the 5K goes to the TB3 and uses up 2xDP and the 4K goes to the HDMI using up the third monitor output then isn't that all 3 monitor outputs used up (5K using 2, 4K using 1) but also 2 monitors both working?

What am I missing? You own one so I'm sure you are right...

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@eightarmedpet This is because of the single monitor input on the Ultrafine monitors (USB-C/Thunderbolt 3). The third monitor output from 2018 Mac mini is through the HDMI port only. If you already connect the Ultrafine 5K, the second monitor needs to use HDMI connection.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@eightarmedpet Adapters to convert HDMI to DisplayPort/USB-C is a bigger mess than DisplayPort to Thunderbolt 3.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@massimo_franzese)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @eightarmedpet

@itsage I have my moshie cable or whatever it is called... 😉 

Interesting as it did not work with my setup and I have not found one example of it working

Benq PD2720U

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@massimo_franzese

AHHHHHH well there is your problem, the Moshie cable works for USB C not TB3 which the 5K is. Mine doesnt work with my Ultrafine, but I'd guess it would work with the 4K as they are USB C not TB3.

It was a direct reply to itsage's "Adapters to convert HDMI to DisplayPort/USB-C" but I've just remembered I think its DP to USB C not HDMI to USB C so would need another adapter (which may not work)!

---

ReplyQuote
(@massimo_franzese)
Trusted Member

@eightarmedpet

It goes back to Ultrafine 5K waste of space point. Anyway I since sold it. 10% less than I bought it and got myself a proper monitor. Best 'forced' choice I could do 

Benq PD2720U

ReplyQuote
(@massimo_franzese)
Trusted Member

@massimo_franzese

AHHHHHH well there is your problem, the Moshie cable works for USB C not TB3 which the 5K is. Mine doesnt work with my Ultrafine, but I'd guess it would work with the 4K as they are USB C not TB3.

It was a direct reply to itsage's "Adapters to convert HDMI to DisplayPort/USB-C" but I've just remembered I think its DP to USB C not HDMI to USB C so would need another adapter (which may not work)!

Sorry but you guess it would work would be better than my actual direct experience with the set up the op has in mind?

Ok an eGPU can accelerate Fornite but that does not mean it can drive a monitor in the configuration the op wants those are not the same thing in gaming an eGPU can accelerate displays connected to the unit and not the eGPU as they are working on separate units of memory and code

Anyway the poor guy posted once and must have gone off now hopefully to ebay to sell that monitor hahahaha

Benq PD2720U

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@massimo_franzese)
Trusted Member

@massimo_franzese

Take a deep breath and re read this thread slowly, you’ll get there in the end champ. 

I am reading and I do not see that you have a 5K ultrafine connected to MAC OS being accelerated via thunderbolt. Do you? 

Benq PD2720U

ReplyQuote