Mac Mini 2018 (Wifi-Issue)  

RSS

DanHC
(@danhc)
Eminent Member
November 18, 2018 9:00 am  

For the people who got the Mac Mini 2018, I appreciate if you can let me know the answer to the following question.

Can your Mac Mini connect to Wi-Fi through 2.4Ghz Channel? (Not 5Ghz) - In Mac OSX Mojave

I just got my Mini 3 days ago, while I could setup eGPU in Mojave, the machine cannot connect to any Wi-Fi that is 2.4 Ghz, including personal hotspot from iPhone.
This happens when I register my Mac in the first boot-up. I am wondering if I am unlucky enough to be the one to get faulty Mac on Day One.

In Hong Kong, no exchange or refund allowed, I am so triggered to get a faulty Mac and have it repair the moment it got to my hand. With refurbished apple parts, which is crap.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
rhyker2u
(@rhyker2u)
November 18, 2018 10:10 am  

When you didn't mod your Mac Mini with a custom WiFi card, why not shoot a support request to Apple?

MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) @ HP EliteBook 2570p laptop: i5-3320m, 2x8=16GB RAM, Samsung 2x500GB Samsung EVO 860 RAID0 SSD, HD4000 (soon eGPU) with AOC 28" U2879VF 4K

ReplyQuote
DanHC
(@danhc)
Eminent Member
November 18, 2018 12:50 pm  

@rhyker2u

Because I kind of not sure is it hardware issue or software - Mojave.

I installed Bootcamp and the WiFi worked there (can connect to all 2.4Ghz). It never worked a single time however with any 2.4 in Mac operating system.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Wayan
(@wayan)
November 19, 2018 5:22 pm  

Hello, 

I don't have any eGPU, but I encountered this kind of problem with my Mac mini 2018 (Wifi and bluetooth Interferences cause by a USB device)

Mb this will help:

https://www.mactrast.com/2012/11/wi-fi-interference-problems-your-usb-3-0-hard-drive-might-be-the-culprit/  
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8512119

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
November 19, 2018 7:36 pm  

Ouch gosh, thanks you for the info.
I truly wasn't expecting that, i was unaware of!

I would then deduce Apple engy team metal caged the wrong device.
Instead mounting a metal case for the ram slot with that rubber band holder, it should have completely metal caged also the wifi/bt IC, as we found on all laptop mini pci-e wifi cards.
Grounding the metal caging is often enough to get rid of the EM waves that create interferences cancelling each other, causing loss of signal.

The Mac Mini antenna is at the bottom of the device.
One can try to keep the eGPU enclosre as far as possible, maybe hiding it behind the screen.
One can try to wrap the usb device with some aluminium foil, see if it reduce the EM noise and place it far away.

*Note that the rubber holding the ram can degrade with heat, it is not as stable as the usual ram socket with metal clips!

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
AaronZY
(@aaronzy)
November 21, 2018 1:30 am  

My Mac mini won't connect to 2.4G Wifi, either from a router or my iphone's hotspot. I also get mine in HK with apple care. Perhaps I will wait and see if it get fixed later. Do anyone know how to make aorus 1080 egpu to work with the new mini under Mojave?

ReplyQuote