Mac Mini 2019 with Razer X Chroma & 5700 XT - No display when woken from sleep

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Mini 2019 with Razer X Chroma & 5700 XT - No display when woken from sleep  

RSS

Charles Chao
(@charles_chao)

Hello

I have an LG 5k (only USBC connection) connected to my Mac Mini and another LG 4K monitor connected to my Razer X Chroma (via HDMI).

Upon boot up or restarts both Monitors turn on without any issues, however if i sleep the Mac or wake it up in the morning the monitor connected to the Razer X Chroma does not come on.  I can move my mouse to it but the display is black.  The way I fix it is to go to Display settings and click on Gather windows and uncheck HDR or change a setting to trigger the monitor to turn on and continue my work.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Also, is it recommend to use HDMI or Displayport to the EGPU ? which is better?

Thank you.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@charles_chao

Are you running at least 10.15.6? 

Others here report fewer problems with Display Port.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Charles Chao
(@charles_chao)

@mini-i5

Yup, I'm on Big Sur.  Wow, I just tried DP port and it does indeed work without any issues!

Thank you.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@charles_chao

Awesome. 😎

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
punk1984
(@punk1984)

@charles_chao

On that second LG 4K monitor, try the second HDMI port and see if the sleep/wake problem clears.

I had the same issue (dual LG 4K monitors) and that fixed it. It's a mystery. I don't know why it works, and neither did the person who recommended it to me.

I had some issues with DP that I think are related to HDR, so I switched back to HDMI.

Mac Mini 2018 | Core i7 | 32GB | Razer Core X w/ Sapphire RX580 | macOS Catalina 10.15.7

ReplyQuote