Mac mini late 2012 i7 and Thunderbolt Display

Notifications
Clear all

Mac mini late 2012 i7 and Thunderbolt Display  

RSS

Cer2811
(@cer2811)

Hi. I'm looking forward to give my Mac mini a kind of survival adding an external GPU (I mostly use for photo editing in Lightroom and, as file sizes increases, it is becoming slow. Things got worse since Mojave). Any advices? Is it possible after all? Anyone knows about hardware to buy?

Thanks.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Eminent Member

@cer2811 with the information you provided it is hard to give any advice.
Do you have already a preference - after looking on BAYER'S GUIDE ?
Is it important for you to use the eGPU in future with Thunderbolt 3?
Is it important for you to have a eGPU which fits in size to your Mac Mini?
Do you want to use the eGPU with Mojave or High Sierra or Bootcamp/Windows?
What do you mean with Mac mini late 2012  and Thunderbolt Display?
What is your price range?
I suggest check the BAYER'S GUIDE, make a priorization of choices (1-2) and then ask for oppinions/suggestions/experiences.
Cheers

Now: Mac Mini 2018 + PowerColor Mini Pro 240FU + AMD Radeon RX 570 8GB / Mac OS 10.15.4 + Win 10 1909
Before: Mac Mini 2014 + AKiTiO Node Lite (modif) + TB2->TB3 - EVGA Geforce GTX 1050Ti MacOS 10.13.6 + Win 10

ReplyQuote
Cer2811
(@cer2811)

Thanks, hans-st. Trying to answer:
Hard to know if I"ll need Thunderbolt 3 in the future, but most certainly yes.
I don't know any eGPU that fits a Mac mini. In fact, there is no place inside it at all and the eGPU is a Intel HD Graphics 4000, a logic one (no physical GPU).
I have installed  Mojave yet and don't use Windows.
The Mac mini late 2012 is a i7 2.6Ghz Mac mini.
The Thunderbolt Display is a Apple display that uses thunderbolt interface to connect to Mac mini (1st generation thunderbolt), providing a port for daisy chain several USB etc.
My price range is quite restrict since is an alternative to buy a new Mac mini  (US $ 1.500,00).

Cheers

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Eminent Member

@Cer2811, understood you have already an Apple Thunderbolt display and you want to use the eGPU with this display and Mojave. In this case I cannot support, because I do not have any experience with this display, especially the interfaces.
Hope another forum member can help.
However, one suggestion I have: You must calculate if a TB2 eGPU is acceptable (this machine with an AMD graphic card should work with Mojave and your display) or a TB3 device with the additional needed  TB3 to TB2 adapters. But as I stated, I am not experienced with this constellation.
By the way, my question concerning the size was actually if you would accept an eGPU which is bigger then  your Mac mini or should it be as compact as a Mac mini. Sorry for the lack of clarity.
Success

Now: Mac Mini 2018 + PowerColor Mini Pro 240FU + AMD Radeon RX 570 8GB / Mac OS 10.15.4 + Win 10 1909
Before: Mac Mini 2014 + AKiTiO Node Lite (modif) + TB2->TB3 - EVGA Geforce GTX 1050Ti MacOS 10.13.6 + Win 10

ReplyQuote
BigTiger_zhang
(@bigtiger_zhang)

Hi,Cer2811 ,I had Mac mini 2018 same to you !  I buy Asus XG Station pro and  Asus AMD Vege 56  display card  。It is very good 。 The PS、LR、AE、Pr、fcpx is  run my computer 。

ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Eminent Member

@BigTiger_zhang - there is a difference between a Mac mini late 2012 and a Mac mini 2018. Or is in your comment a typo?
Cheers

ReplyQuote