Mac Mini Late 2012 with Akitio Node and Nvidia GTX 1050Ti test attempt #1

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Mini Late 2012 with Akitio Node and Nvidia GTX 1050Ti test attempt #1  

RSS

ariksaja
(@ariksaja)

Hello Guys... i'm new member here and i just bought Akitio Node. I'm using Mac Mini late 2012

cable that i use : apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt, apple thunderbolt cable

Screen Shot 2017 08 06 at 5.56.21 AM
Screen Shot 2017 08 06 at 6.18.22 AM
Screen Shot 2017 08 06 at 6.13.38 AM

I installed my egpu and it seems fine.  Since my device don't have thunderbolt 3 port, i gamble myself and hoping that i'm lucky so i don't need  to update akitio's node firmware first. And yeah, i can run normally with only using automatic egpu script.. without using internal graphic display at boot. 

well, i couldn't see the mac logo again after apple chimes when starting up but it's fine  for me... in replace, i got grey background screen startup logo instead of black as if i use internal display. since it has no problem running on mac, now i begin to think and have this question. 

"How can i make my windows 10 bootcamp using egpu that run on my Mac?" since my bootcamp unable to detect my akitio node with gpu installed.

Thanks in advance.

2012 Mac Mini [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.12.6 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

We have no previous 2012 Mac Mini TB3 enclosure Win10 implementation as a reference so this is a pioneering effort to get going.  You have the updated 25.1 firmware already that allows eGPU detection on eGFX uncertified hosts.

These similar vintage implementation guides may help if you are getting no MBR Windows eGPU detection. Here UEFI Windows was used:

If still get no eGPU detection then revert to this general guide:

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ariksaja
(@ariksaja)

Thanks! i'll try it . but since i don't have external disk i'll find a way using bootcamp first.

2012 Mac Mini [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.12.6 & Win10 [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
ariksaja
(@ariksaja)

Okay, i will make proper instruction after this. Perhaps i'm too happy now. LOL. After reading many posts in here, i also accidentally deleted my entire mac harddrive while trying using custom windows installation. LOL... it's okay  nothing serious happened. after few days struggling, i'm back with normal installation ( well, after reinstalling mac and everything ) all working good with normal bootcamp. no need to install windows custom installation. I use bootcamp installer usb made from my mac. all seems good.

here's my screenshot. 

egpu macmini bootcamp2
egpu macmini bootcamp1

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

There's something really satisfying about pairing a Mac mini to an eGPU. Have it working in both macOS and Windows is double the joy!

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ariksaja
(@ariksaja)

Yeah it is! Thanks to this forum. Without this forum probably i'm blind and frustrated... i'm writing step by step right now... hope can help many people. I'm amazed i could make it work without tweaking anything. But yeah, it's "timing" play when to plug at "the right time"

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Adgar
(@adgar)

Hi, i am new to the forum and i have Mac mini late 2012 and thunder2 with gtx 1050 ti. Works well both osx and windows. I have a question. How do you handle boot when you choose the operating system? I have black screen and I'm going to be tempting counting seconds for windows entrances. I'm thinking of buying a mini monitor for PI to view the boot. how do you do? Thank you and sorry for my English Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

You could select boot disc in "Startup disk" control panel, and use Bootcamp manager in Windows?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
ariksaja
(@ariksaja)

Posted by: Adgar

Hi, i am new to the forum and i have Mac mini late 2012 and thunder2 with gtx 1050 ti. Works well both osx and windows. I have a question. How do you handle boot when you choose the operating system? I have black screen and I'm going to be tempting counting seconds for windows entrances. I'm thinking of buying a mini monitor for PI to view the boot. how do you do? Thank you and sorry for my English Smile

i rewrite my attempt step by step. you may read my experience in this post.

I'm using normal bootcamp control panel to choose boot each os

ReplyQuote
ariksaja
(@ariksaja)

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

You could select boot disc in "Startup disk" control panel, and use Bootcamp manager in Windows?

Yes i can Smile please read my second post here .

All Normal... you may  enjoy working both os without ruining your system. 

ReplyQuote