Mac Pro 2013 | Akitio Node - Thunderbolt3 eGPU | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 S...

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Pro 2013 | Akitio Node - Thunderbolt3 eGPU | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Success & expansion options...  

RSS

redrooster
(@redrooster)

Thanks to the help of egpu.io and the community I managed to successfully set up an egpu on my Mac Pro 2013 (trashcan)

I am using it to work with Octane Render for Cinema 4d which is great for me. I did have a couple of questions that I am sure the community could easily answer:

1. About This Mac Window > Graphics - Every guide I have read for the mac setups show a screengrab of the 'About This Mac' window - under their 'Graphics' information they see the newly installed eGPU listed as the graphics card. For me, I still see the inbuilt AMD FirePro 700 card of the Mac Pro. When I review system report I do indeed see my GeForce listed and is fully operational. I was wondering why this is? Everything is working ok, ie I can use Octane and it detects the eGPU just fine.
  2. Expansion options - having experienced success with this, I am now thinking about upgrading to multiple eGPUs - what options do I have to setup say, 4x or even 8x GeForce Cards on a Mac Pro? the Akitio Node holds 1 x eGPU. Are there any enclosures that hold multiple eGPUs in one case, and would they work over Thunderbolt? Would there be a bottleneck pushing all of that power through one TB3 > TB2 lead to my Mac Pro 2013?

Thanks in advance for any advice - and thanks for the help getting me to this stage, I could not have done it without the forums!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

There are a number of Mac Pro implementation guides showing two eGPUs being connected, no more. Did you look there?

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/

If you expand you implementation details with pics, OS version, hardware shortlist, it can become an implementation guide too.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance

ReplyQuote
redrooster
(@redrooster)

Thanks nando4 - I did not see this link previously.

I will add my own walkthrough for my setup and add it to this list.

I think Im going to save some more money and duplicate my setup for 2 x GPUs now - unless someone has any success with some sort of monster rack (4x-8x Graphics Cards) and a Mac Pro ! Smile

Thanks again

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote